The Drindrian Age

BobGreenwade

I was paging through some of the various sections of The Valdorian Age, and I came across some very interesting elements in the period of time between the Turakian and Valdorian eras, during a time that probably could only be called the Drindrian Age.

When I see fantasy stories, whether in book or movie form, my favorite elements are usually:

• Fantastical beasts that, while not commonplace, are easily recognized by the protagonists.

• Exactly one magician in the protagonist group -- perhaps two, if the group is large and the two are either related (such as brother/sister or master/apprentice) or deeply contrasted in some way.

• Inhuman races exist in their own communities, sometimes interacting with Humans but almost never living in their cities and intermingling with them.

• The most feared and impressive warriors ride flying beasts (dragons, griffins, rocs, and so forth) in formation.

• Magic is less often cast than stored in mystical items and artifacts.

• The usual quest is along the lines of liberating free-thinking people from oppressive regimes.

In short, what I think of as "great fantasy tales" often splits the difference between the extreme "high fantasy" of the Turakian Age, and the classic "swords and sorcery" of the Valdorian Age.

Is there anyone besides me who'd love to see a book on the Drindrian Age for 2009?

Re: The Drindrian Age

My own favorite fantasy elements:

o Chainmail bikinis are commonplace

o Magic that makes no sense, either internally to itself or with the mix of other types of magic, or in the setting as a whole.

o Inhuman races avoid humans at all costs, complaining of the smell.

o The most feared and impressive warriors are dinner for flying beasts.

o Magic is contrary and backfires on anyone attempting to gain from it.

o The usual quest encounters too much loot to carry.

Though, I admit, Bob's list is likely more playable.

I was paging through some of the various sections of The Valdorian Age, and I came across some very interesting elements in the period of time between the Turakian and Valdorian eras, during a time that probably could only be called the Drindrian Age.

When I see fantasy stories, whether in book or movie form, my favorite elements are usually:

• Fantastical beasts that, while not commonplace, are easily recognized by the protagonists.

• Exactly one magician in the protagonist group -- perhaps two, if the group is large and the two are either related (such as brother/sister or master/apprentice) or deeply contrasted in some way.

• Inhuman races exist in their own communities, sometimes interacting with Humans but almost never living in their cities and intermingling with them.

• The most feared and impressive warriors ride flying beasts (dragons, griffins, rocs, and so forth) in formation.

• Magic is less often cast than stored in mystical items and artifacts.

• The usual quest is along the lines of liberating free-thinking people from oppressive regimes.

In short, what I think of as "great fantasy tales" often splits the difference between the extreme "high fantasy" of the Turakian Age, and the classic "swords and sorcery" of the Valdorian Age.

Is there anyone besides me who'd love to see a book on the Drindrian Age for 2009?

I can't disagree with your list... the mid point between high fantasy & swords and sorcery is where I tend to be most comfortable myself.

I think between Turakian Age and Valdorian Age, there would be too much overlap to make a Drindrian Age book worthwhile. As a Digital Hero article, or even series of articles, it would rock.

Looks like you've got some pretty good ideas already, Bob. When can we expect to see it in DH?

Whenever my Star Heroe ideas run out, and Space Wizards is finished... meaning probably a year and a half on the inside.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

The most common sort of campaign for the era of Drindrian dominion would likely be human rebels (or escapees) fighting against the Drindrish, for survival or to otherthrow them. PCs could even be part of Valdor's army, perhaps special agents going on missions in his cause. I could see a campaign with a flavor part Conan, part Elric, part Star Wars, and with a dash of Thundarr. ;)

I'd love to read a final (official) fate for the Drindrish, after they fled Il-Ryveras. AFAICT there's nothing close to them mentioned for any of the lands covered in The Atlantean Age sourcebook. However, if they did sail west from Drindria as the Valdorians believed, they'd likely have made landfall in the region that would one day be Kaphtor, and the early history of the Kaphtorans hasn't been revealed. Since Kaphtor in the Atlantean era is an "evil" nation, the Drindrish might have had some influence on their culture.