Sand Staff

Lunistra

I want to make a power that essentially makes a staff out of Sand, then she can bash people with that staff.

Im assuming it is 2 powers 1 linked to the other, but not entirely sure how to make it, whether it is matter manipulation or summoning or sand powers?

Im thinkign the staff doesnt do much damage but is there incase she needs it last resort.

Any Ideas?

Re: Sand Staff

Sand Staff

+4D6 HA, 0 END, OIF - Sand of Opportunity (30 Active, 20 Real)

plus +1" Stretching, 0 END, Always Direct, No Non Combat Stretching, OIF - Sand of Opportunity (7 Active, 3 Real)

Total Cost - 23 pts (37 Active)

You forgot the -1/2 HtH limitation. That would drop the cost to 18 points.

For reasons known only to residents of the Carolinas, Hero 5 insists on putting a 1/2 limitation (only hand to hand) inherent on Hand to hand attack. I think they are just trying to justify the 3 point cost it had in 4th Edition by saying the price is really 5 points but it has a limitation.

Why they could not realize that the limitation only hand to hand is balanced by the advantage Adds To Strength (just like with KAs) is beyond me. I have to take the stupid limitation off of any automated character creation sheet I use.

As you may gather, I use the above version in my House Rules.

You can't bring in STR costs unless you want to start STR with 0 instead of 10. STR will always be anomalous in Hero System, since you get two dice of damage free and all of its other benefits.

HtoH has to relate to Energy Blast as HKA relates to RKA. If you want to cut the cost of HKA, then we have another discussion.

At this point in the conversation, one of the players in my campaign would invariably say, "Is it a full staff, or just a publicist and a girl Friday?"

Seriously, though, the HA would be the way to go. And if it can be made of ANY small, stony, particulate matter (i.e., pebbles, gravel, or even just ordinary dirt) and not just sand, maybe a -1/4 limitation (Requires Loose Ground Nearby) would be appropriate. More points, but you can use it in Iowa and not just at the beach.

Hunh? Isn't HtH inherent in Hand Attack?

It's a limitation that must be taken, but it's added at the end with all the other limitations [in the example OzMike forgot to add it in]. That way it keeps the active point and endurance costs consistent with the rest of the powers.

I want it just to be sand' date=' yes she may not be able to use it often, but it is one of her powers, she comes from the desert. Id rather her powers made sense and wre consistent with her back ground, than they were useful :)[/quote']

So her powers are less powerful, but they fit with the character concept and backstory.

That, of course, is the Right Answer.

Rep to thee.

I dunno.

I can't really see making a distinction between silicon particles from a beach or desert and silicon particles from a chunk of dirt in Iowa. Maybe make the staff less powerful outside of a strictly sand area, and the character may not initially believe it will work outside of a sandy area, but fine dirt is fine dirt. Having it not be able to use dirt clods and rocks is certainly within concept, which is another reason to have a decreased effect in non-sandy regions. ;)

I dunno.

I can't really see making a distinction between silicon particles from a beach or desert and silicon particles from a chunk of dirt in Iowa. Maybe make the staff less powerful outside of a strictly sand area, and the character may not initially believe it will work outside of a sandy area, but fine dirt is fine dirt. Having it not be able to use dirt clods and rocks is certainly within concept, which is another reason to have a decreased effect in non-sandy regions. ;)

The biggest distinction would be availability. 'Dirt' is made up of a lot of different things, of which 'sand' might be only a minor component. 'Sand' is almost entirely silicon dioxide. Dirt includes a fair bit of that, as well as other minerals (other metal oxides, carbonates, hydroxides, nitrates, phosphates, and the like) and organic matter. Drawing enough 'sand' out of the red clay you find in southern Utah, for example, could make the power almost useless.

unless she has a sack of sand with her in her dimention vault she can access to... but thats just getting silly.

I simply want it as a power that she has, and is a bonus if they end up in a desert /beach etc..

on the other hand her major powers is mirages, which only function in daytime, which my GM has told me most of th e action is at night ..... ah well guess at least she can just fly around on her carpet, missile deflecting