FH VS FH

Polaris

Originally posted by AnotherSkip

Old Man's suggstion might do well for an independant PDF, Digital hero article, or addendum to the simplifying HERO rules.

That would do nicely, though I still think it would have been better to includein in SH itself...

[/b]

Not as something that would have neccesitated pulling out three or four races, a series of psionics examples and a half dozen other things in order to suggest a very limited version of some 4th ed campaign design rules....[/b]

...and I think we can agree to disagree on just how much space it would have taken. If two pages were devoted to metametacampaign development that would take 24 pages, tops. I don't know if SH absolutely had to fit into some page limit or what; I'd gladly have paid another couple bucks for SH+another 24 pages.

besides anyone who puts "Insolent Fool!" as their iconic statement -should- expect some amount of insolence!!!!!

:)

Ah, but who am I talking about when I say that? ;)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Old Man

And let me reiterate that what is out there on the net is mostly crap. Keith Curtis' Savage Earth isn't bad--aside from the furries--but one third-party, online-only campaign setting is a far cry from a published series of campaign options that a GM can pick from a list on his lunch break.

Thanks, I think. :)

Seriously, there really is some good stuff out there. Wasteland Hero is pretty fully realized. It just takes a little looking. ell, OK, a lot of looking.

Keith "isn't bad" Curtis

PS. I really don't care for "the furry phenomenon". I had something much more "Gamma World" in mind when I began. It mostly seemed like a good way to get a lot of broad easily-recognzable archetypes for player races without resorting to Elves-n-dwarves.

:confused: What's wrong with furries? I mean, I can understand if you're not into the Omaha the Cat Dancer/Genus-style stuff, I can understand - everyone's entitled to their own preferences, after all. But I happen to enjoy furries, if only because they add something different to a fantasy game. I'm sorry, but elves and dwarves have had too much air time, IMO. Granted, animal-human crosses are a bit stereotypable, but it adds something different without making the players Evel Keneval (sic) their way through mental hoops to get a grasp on the races.

:D Besides, I happen to like cat-girls with repeater crossbows hidden in their hair.

I disagree with the sentiments put forth by Old Man. I like the genre books more than the pre-fabbed settings. Maybe because when I started GM'ing when I was 13, I learned to GM on the fly, and it didn't take me long to come up with pregenerated NPC stooges, and other things for my settings.

What I want is something to stoke my imagination and creativity...not something which gives me prefabbed settings. I think Star Hero did an admirable job of providing loose guidelines for different style campaigns. One thing that would have annoyed me is exactly what Old Man suggested...having rules about what rules go in there. Now admittedly, I'm an experienced GM, so I can easily sift through the suggestions and guidelines and come up with my own needs for my campaign....it might be harder for newer GM's to do the same.

But the whole point of the genre books are that they are continuations of the Hero System philosophy of "gamer's toolkits". I like the Hero System precisely because it doesn't tell me what my game world is supposed to be like. Yes, it does create more work for me...but I can guaranatee you that I and my players can come up with a setting that suits our interests more than DOJ can. But then again, we're not afraid to put a little work into it (and I go to school full time, work part-time, practice my programming skills and have martial arts classes to go to...so I'm not exactly loaded with freetime). The bottomline is that the Hero system does require some work since it is a universal system.

To me, the settings books are ignoring the great strengths of the Hero System...it's flexibility. I think one of the big things that attracted players to Hero was how versatile it was and how moldable. By creating prefabbed worlds, it takes that strength away. That being said, I wouldn't mind seeing generic things for certain genres. And if this is what Old Man is saying, then I can partially agree with him. But I still think the genre books are "imagination stokers" not really compendiums of equipment, vehicles, characters and what-not. A few examples of each would be nice, but that shouldn't be their core focus. So when I see DOJ having plans to introduce so many campaign/setting books, I'm worried. Perhaps this is what Old Man would like to see, but it's exactly what I don't want. I want the freedom that the Hero System has always provided and I think DOJ would better suit this strength by focusing on more genre books and the Ultimate Series rather than too many campaign/settings books.

Originally posted by Black Rose

:confused: What's wrong with furries?

Nothing in and of itself. It only disturbs me when it reaches the point of fetishism. The term "furrie" itself is a little too fannish, kind of like "trekkie".

OTOH, one of my favorite comics ever was Kamandi, Last Boy on Earth. Now there were some talking animals!

Keith "All Hail Great Casear!" Curtis

I'm partial to the previous FH for several reasons, not least because I wrote some of it. :)

I just bought the new one today. Good lord, but that's one large book! Haven't had a chance to do more than skim it yet.

My personal preference is to have a mix of some pre-fab game stuff (weapon lists, common vehicles, creatures, martial arts, etc.) and some generic resource material (like Star Hero's chapter on the solar system). In my own games I build most everything myself (for me it's one of the great joys of being a GM) so I don't bother with game settings, premade Champs characters, spell books, "spacer's toolkits" and whatnot. Just not interested.

We'll see how the new FH holds up.

-AA

P.S. I did my stint in furrydom. Mostly it's not as bad as its reputation. In some dark corners, it's worse.

Originally posted by austenandrews

P.S. I did my stint in furrydom. Mostly it's not as bad as its reputation. In some dark corners, it's worse.

One thing I learned when doing research for Savage Earth: good or bad, furrydom is HUGE! I would never have imagined the vast numebr of sites dedicated to furry fanfic, illustration, etc. It's got to be the single biggest cultural phenomeon that no one has ever heard of.

Keith "Avoid the dark corners, for sanity's sake ;)" Curtis