The President has a cronic medical condition

Mark Rand

It's public knowledge that the President suffers from relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis, or some other chronic medical condition. He's been seen leaning on a cane and, once, in a wheel chair.

Would the Secret Service make any special arrangements for his illness?

Re: The President has a cronic medical condition

It's kind of a semantics thing but no & yes depending on how you want to look at it

Every instance is a different situation that the SS will look at diferently, they will take into account his lack of movement in any plan they have, with bulletproof shields probably being a little bit more on hand, and more people ready to put themselves in the line of fire because of it

I'm sure they'd account for something like that, but I don't know how far out of their standard tactics they need to go. It wouldn't really be any different than the times you see any other president take his time shaking hands on a street or something.

And really, its how fast the agents act that would save him, not how fast he reacts. If you've ever seen the clip of the attempted assassination on President Reagan, he's pretty much shot, picked up and thrown into the car by the Secret Service guys, and jumped on by the Secret Service guys before he has a chance to do anything.

In game terms, your Secret Service guys should just have the maximum level of Lightning Reflexes you allow normal people to have in your game. Maybe even some kind of Human Shield power, depending again on what you allow. It might be built as a kind of Damage Reduction or Armor, Usable By Others, Trigger (when you see/hear an assassin), Lim: Only When Adjacent, Lim: You Take the Damage reduced. It would only help on the first shot if you saw the assassin before he struck, but would be good after you knew what was going on. Pretty much like real life, I guess.

I'm sure that the Fist Lady, a trauma sugeon at GW (George Washington University Hospital), would make sure both the Secret Service agents and White House staff knew what symptoms to look for and the agents kept his medications close at hand.

I'm sure that the Fist Lady' date=' a trauma sugeon at GW (George Washington University Hospital), would make sure both the Secret Service agents and White House staff knew what symptoms to look for and the agents kept his medications close at hand.[/quote']

Fist Lady? Damn, the superheroes in your campaign don't waste much time on marketing do they?

:D

Executive Protection is a whole lot more detailed than most people realize. The Secret Service sends teams weeks, sometimes months, in advance to locations they know the President or Vice will be traveling to.

They map routes to local hospitals, they visit those hospitals and interview emergency staff, they check the inventories on the hospitals to make sure they have the appropriate equipment on hand in case something goes down.

They would make sure there were ramps into and out of every place he would be visiting, they would ensure the vehicles they were using would accommodate his cane/chair, to include rapid entry/exit. They would have helicopters standing by in several locations, all equipped to handle his modes of movement, i.e. ramps in place to allow quick entry.

There would be doctors in both the lead and follow cars in any motorcade, with fully equipped kits in the trucks of all the vehicles. They would have specially dedicated stores of the presidents blood type stored in several locations throughout the area, local hospitals, on Air Force 1, etc.

I could go on for pages and pages about the preparations involved in a thorough Executive Protection advance. But the short answer is, yes, they most definitely would make special arrangements for his illness, including some that would seem absurdly unnecessary.

I knew that really' date=' I was just trying to be playful. No offence intended[/quote']

None taken.

The President and First Lady probably will be Jed and Abbey Bartlet. If so, the chronic, which I misspelled in the title, illness is multiple sclerosis.

During his first term, it's relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis. He will have several attacks over the term, while require bedrest, and a number of minor ones, which may only require him to us a cane or canes. During his second term, if he decides to run again, it will mutate to secondary progressive multiple sclerosis, which will cause even more problems.

During his second term' date=' if he decides to run again, it will mutate to secondary progressive multiple sclerosis, which will cause even more problems.[/quote']

I assume this comes from an existing plot I'm not familiar with. That aside, expect the Vice President to draw a whole lot of attention if this happens.

My doctor is convinced that the Prez has no real functions in the frontal lobes of his brain, meaning he can't make long term plans and is vulnerable to the occasional epileptic seizure (remember the peanut/pretzel/whatever incedent where the president hit his head on a table? It was really a seizure.)

• 2 weeks later...

My doctor is convinced that the Prez has no real functions in the frontal lobes of his brain' date=' meaning he can't make long term plans and is vulnerable to the occasional epileptic seizure (remember the peanut/pretzel/whatever incedent where the president hit his head on a table? It was really a seizure.)[/quote']

There are times I think that my stuffed University of Pittsburgh panther mascot has more on the ball than Dubya.

I assume this comes from an existing plot I'm not familiar with. That aside' date=' expect the Vice President to draw a whole lot of attention if this happens.[/quote']

That was one of the major storylines of the long-running political drama The West Wing starring Martin Sheen. In a way, the situation was analogous to that of John F. Kennedy, who had numerous medical problems throughout his term including a known addiction to painkillers and a possible one to amphetamines.