To Create a Sin

Hey there everyone.

My final "chapter" of the campaign I've been running for the past three years is coming up soon and I'm in some serious need of some help.

The main villians are a group of pure evil, sent from hell its self to destroy all of man kind, and bring souls the the "darker side" of life.

This groups name; The Deadly Seven.

Each villian has traits based off the sins in which they were created.

For example:

~The character Lust doesn't have a lot of STR but her COM and Ego are high. Her combat style is to confuse the enemy into thinking what they see before them is someone they lust after, an NPC or even another player, while the rest of the Deadly Seven (D7) attack full force.

~Envy steals characteristics from the enemys that he finds most useful. "What I want, I Take" So large ammounts of Drains and such. Makes himself strong while the enemy suffers.

My problem is this.

After days and days of trying to come up with something, I've yet to come up with a character design for the sin Greed. Seeing how Greed is mostly to do with greed in the form of money, or even the trickey of authority, its hard to make a character around it. (Wikipedia didn't help much either)

I'm completely stumped.

What kind of powers would you throw on a character like that? I'm intrested in knowing what you all think and HOPEFULLY some of you can help me get the ball rolling.

Any and all help would be so awesome.

~Thanks

~~DR

Re: To Create a Sin

I'd go with a gadgeteer (or more fociteer), who amasses wealth in the form of powerful, useful items, but is also a smooth-talking bureaucrat, persuader and authority figure. If any notable foci have been used in your campaign that the heroes don't currently know the whereabouts of.. possible Greed has them.

Might also go with Growth, linked to valuable items he's taken.

Oh, and of course Absorbtion. Can't let all that valuable free energy go to waste. ;)

Greed is the Mastermind. She is the gal in the Italian suit. She has her tentacles everywhere, however far removed. But once you deal with her, you lose everything. She can never get enough.

Greed is the one with the contacts, the base, the money. She is more skill and perks than powers, but the powers she have are akin to Clairsentience, Enhanced Senses and Find Weaknesses. She is the Avid Eye.

Greed is the one sin that has successfully corrupted your world, mortals. She is damn efficient.

:saturn:

Greed also hoards possessions, hiding them from others and warding them against being stolen. That could justify Darkness, Images (to conceal), or Invisibility, perhaps with Usable On Others. Also Force Wall or Entangle to protect his hoard, maybe with Trigger to set traps. Possibly Teleport or Extra-Dimensional Movement to carry him (and select others) to where his treasures are stored; those Powers might even have Usable As Attack, for when Greed sees something he wants to steal.

Hey there everyone.

My final "chapter" of the campaign I've been running for the past three years is coming up soon and I'm in some serious need of some help.

The main villians are a group of pure evil, sent from hell its self to destroy all of man kind, and bring souls the the "darker side" of life.

This groups name; The Deadly Seven.

Each villian has traits based off the sins in which they were created.

For example:

~The character Lust doesn't have a lot of STR but her COM and Ego are high. Her combat style is to confuse the enemy into thinking what they see before them is someone they lust after, an NPC or even another player, while the rest of the Deadly Seven (D7) attack full force.

~Envy steals characteristics from the enemys that he finds most useful. "What I want, I Take" So large ammounts of Drains and such. Makes himself strong while the enemy suffers.

My problem is this.

After days and days of trying to come up with something, I've yet to come up with a character design for the sin Greed. Seeing how Greed is mostly to do with greed in the form of money, or even the trickey of authority, its hard to make a character around it. (Wikipedia didn't help much either)

I'm completely stumped.

What kind of powers would you throw on a character like that? I'm intrested in knowing what you all think and HOPEFULLY some of you can help me get the ball rolling.

Any and all help would be so awesome.

~Thanks

~~DR

Now when it comes to me I would see Greed and Envy in opposite rolls then you have them. Greed I see as being the more, as you said, "what I want, I Take." While Evny is probably the mastermind. Mostly becuase it is easy to rationalize all the seven sins to ultimately be envy. And I would seperate them into Active Sins and sinful states of being. Greed/Glutony/Lust are the active incarnations of Envy. While Wrath/Pride/Sloth are the states of being one settles into becuase of Envy.

Greed & Glutony & Lust: In the active forms you covet what others have and desire it for yourself. If you envy the wealth of another then you seek to own like him. If you wish to consume without need or worry like another, then you envy there glutony. Lustful passion is more than a phisical desire but a emotional draw to that which is out of your grasp. It isn't wanting the girl, it is wanting to be the guy the girl is with(or vice versa). So Envy is in this sense, the person that owns all, consumes everything, and is the consort/master of lust(and I mean the incarnation not just the sin).

Now there are three states of being when it comes to envy. And by "states of being" I am refering to your exceptance of who you are.

1.) Wrath is the anguish you feel when you can't achive what you deisre. It is the disappointment in yourself at your inadequaties compare to others. So you seek to destroy what you envy, to remove your pain and hatred. Or even the loss of what you did have and no longer have. You envy yourself that way.

2.) Pride is the twist of Wrath. It is the self assurence and confidence you feel when you achive what everyone else has. But the desire to keep it and never be less than others is what really drives them. The desire not to envy others anymore. So you hold to yourself all your accomplishments and things, for they define you.

3.) Sloth is the Twist of Pride. It is the feeling of acceptance that comes with knowing you can't keep up with others. It is learning that you will always be less and therefor never doing anything to alter it. But becuase you don't balance it with a little envy, so as to keep to a minimual standard you fall prey to sloth. You allow yourself to live in squaller and discontent.

Now I find myself seeing ENVY as being a pridefull persona. He has achieve all that one can and will do everything to keep it. That is why he does as his masters tell him. All the while ploting to overthough even them and become sole ruller of Hell. Also I can easily forsee the incarnation of Greed as being the one that in the end betreys Envy. He seeks the power that Envy has and will achive it at all cost, but untill now, untill he ran into the player party, he just couldn't grasp it. But he could turn on everyone and help the heros who are about to fail and slay the weakened Envy and usurp his power. With the change in the command stucture the PC managed to catch there breathe intime to slay Greed, the only remaining incarnation of evil.

But that is my Personal views on the Seven Deadly Sins and there relations to eachother.

La Rose

I dunno, as DEMONS, it seems like you'd need to think in terms of these characters having powers that "tempt" others to their particular sin, essentially limited mind control or mental illusions. It's unclear whether you've got these guys going around in human form or even NEEDING things like bases and money.

How about a suite of Drains and various sense Flashes? He takes away the heroes' abilities to fight. Sucks 'em dry. But of course, it would make ya have to rework Envy.

Absorption is an idea along the same lines, but that would require Greed to be attacked... and Greed doesn't want that. Greed is a squishy.

Transfer isn't bad either, but Greed doesn't want to fight. Its not that he's Sloth, but he knows there are better things to do with his time.

Of course.. For a very sardonic twist of evil....

This is from About.com

"Years ago, CBS had a popular little series called "Gilligan's Island". There is, however, a dark secret about this "comedy" you may never have realized. The island is a direct representation of Hell.

Nobody on the island wants to be there, yet none are able to leave. Each one of the characters represents one of the 7 deadly sins:

Ginger represents LUST - she wears skimpy outfits, is obsessed with her looks, and is a borderline nymphomaniac.

Mary Ann represents ENVY - she is jealous of Ginger's beauty.

The Professor represents PRIDE - he is an annoying know-it-all.

Mr. Howell represents GREED - no explanation needed.

Mrs. Howell represents SLOTH - she has never lifted a finger to help on any of their escape plans.

The Skipper represents two sins: GLUTTONY - again, no explanation needed and ANGER - he violently hits Gilligan on each show.

This leaves Gilligan. Gilligan is the person who put them there. He prevents them from leaving by foiling all of their escape plots. Also, it is HIS island. Therefore, Gilligan is SATAN.

Crazy? He does wear red in every episode."

;)

How about a suite of Drains and various sense Flashes? He takes away the heroes' abilities to fight. Sucks 'em dry. But of course' date=' it would make ya have to rework Envy.[/quote']

For a reworked Envy, try this... Sure Envy is jealous of their powers. So he emulates them, but at slightly lower levels. Which makes him even more jealous because he can never be as good as the heroes whose powers he is duplicating. However, he does have *all* of their powers...

Thank you EVERYONE for helping me out.

I went with the advice of Richard and reformed Envy. Made him "Form" into the other characters but he's a slightly less powerful version. With this I turned Greed into the more "I take what I want" mentality.

Thanks everyone for helping me out!

Sloth : Mindcontroll fixed command, empathic "Apathy"

Greed various "Take and keep type powers..."

Anger Besrker with mind controll/transform into a besrker powers

Pride ...??? a mentalist? a power copier? (I can do that better than You can!)

Lust evil seductress powers ("Don't ya wish your girlfriend was HOT like me")

When I used the Sin Squad (or more properly the New Sin Squad -- or as Scott Bennie put it "the nuisance squad" -- since there was an original in the 1960s) in my SuperSquad America convention, theire powers basically broke down as follows (and unfortunately, I no longer have the sheets for them):

Greed -- Leader, female martial artist in jewled costume with an eye for foci -- and several skill levels with Grab.

Lust -- Could appear as the subject of a character's love or lust. She also had a kiss that could knock you out.

Pride -- A male brick. Overconfident.

Wrath -- A crazed clawed killing machine.

Envy -- Female. Could steal other people's powers temporarily. Was jealous of Greed.

Sloth -- Would only take his action if he made a 14- roll. Had the ability to slow people down -- entangles, drains, etc.

Gluttony -- Could eat pretty anything. I think he may have also been able to spit digestive acids.