Woah, alot of users on this board

Rage

Re: Woah, alot of users on this board

Sometimes the excessive number of "guests" shown on the boards is patently ludicrous, and Dan Simon has posted they're most likely from search-engine spiders. I was rather hoping he'd fix that with the software update. As is it's a useless feature.

While I know exactly what "spiders" are in this context, I now have the image of a whole bunch of arachnids sitting at row after row of computers, surfing the web, their little eyes glinting in the light of the monitors...

Sometimes the excessive number of "guests" shown on the boards is patently ludicrous' date=' and Dan Simon has posted they're most likely from search-engine spiders. I was rather hoping he'd fix that with the software update. As is it's a useless feature.[/quote']

What, exactly, is there to fix?

What' date=' exactly, is there to fix?[/quote']

"Dammit Jim, I'm a theater teacher, not a programmer!" ;)

I have no idea what search-engine spiders are, nor what if anything one can do about them. If it's impossible for the guy who hosts the Hero Games website to clear them out, so be it. If it would be possible but a lot of trouble, it probably isn't worth it.

But if we're not getting a true snapshot of how many people actually frequent our community, what's gained by showing that number? Except maybe letting folks believe the site is more heavily trafficked than it is. :sneaky:

"Dammit Jim, I'm a theater teacher, not a programmer!" ;)

I have no idea what search-engine spiders are, nor what if anything one can do about them. If it's impossible for the guy who hosts the Hero Games website to clear them out, so be it. If it would be possible but a lot of trouble, it probably isn't worth it.

Search Engine Spiders look a lot like normal users, all they do is catalogue the site, report the link back and when you do a search (on Google for instance) the proper pages come up - how else do you think search engines get their data?

They are useful, though there are tons of them.

You could probably come up with some bit of code that removes them from the user count.. but, not really worth the effort. I suspect that the user count is part of the board software - which Dan doesn't program - and may not have an "off" option.

Sometimes the excessive number of "guests" shown on the boards is patently ludicrous' date=' and Dan Simon has posted they're most likely from search-engine spiders. I was rather hoping he'd fix that with the software update. As is it's a useless feature.[/quote']If you look at the bottom of the Currently Active Users/Who's Online page, you'll see a dropdown menu where you can specify only members, only (non-spidery) guests, or only search bots. So the option's there, if you care enough to put in the little more effort.

If you look at the bottom of the Currently Active Users/Who's Online page' date=' you'll see a dropdown menu where you can specify only members, only (non-spidery) guests, or only search bots. So the option's there, if you care enough to put in the little more effort.[/quote']

Thank you! :) Will rep when the boards allow me to. ;)