auto body weight

Captain Obvious

So, does anyone know where I can find info on how much different parts of a car weigh? Like the door, trunk, hood, quarterpanels...

I'm working up a post-apoc style car modification system, but it's hard to add armor and weapons to the car without dumping some of the dead weight, unless you want to have exciting 25mph car chases. For that matter, just getting basic frame weights would be as good or better.

Re: auto body weight

What system are you using to design the vehicles? Something Car Wars-ish from the sound of your question.

It's going to be for Hero. I started out by looking up the most popular models of car in the US, and I assumed there would be some info on the various pieces somewhere...a parts catalog, a mechanic's website, an official manufacturer's website. The best I've found is a few websites about racing and drifting, and since those guys are often concerned about keeping their car street-legal, I get how much weight can be saved by taking off the metal hood and putting in carbon-fiber, rather than dumping it and the doors all together. Somehow, I doubt Humongous, the Ayatollah of Rock and Rollah was concerned about street legality when he modified his cars.

I guess I may end up having to make a best guess. I'd like to stick with actual numbers as long as possible before making the inevitable leap to guesswork, though.

It's going to be for Hero. I started out by looking up the most popular models of car in the US, and I assumed there would be some info on the various pieces somewhere...a parts catalog, a mechanic's website, an official manufacturer's website. The best I've found is a few websites about racing and drifting, and since those guys are often concerned about keeping their car street-legal, I get how much weight can be saved by taking off the metal hood and putting in carbon-fiber, rather than dumping it and the doors all together. Somehow, I doubt Humongous, the Ayatollah of Rock and Rollah was concerned about street legality when he modified his cars.

I guess I may end up having to make a best guess. I'd like to stick with actual numbers as long as possible before making the inevitable leap to guesswork, though.

Yeah, I found one that had some weights of that stuff. You can probably take guesses from there that will be pretty close, or close enough.

Incidentally, why not just buy extra STR with the SFX that you're tearing stuff off of the vehicle to save weight? This was a bit of a mental rearrangement for me when I found it out, but a vehicle's base weight doesn't count against its carrying capacity from STR. Plus, TUV (and I think 5e as well) allow you to define your vehicle's weight almost as a special effect. (This last is starting to give me ideas on where to go with my Car Wars Hero conversion; essentially, you define your car's starting weight as 0 and its STR is its full carrying capacity; you add components from there. We'll see how that works...)

Incidentally' date=' why not just buy extra STR with the SFX that you're tearing stuff off of the vehicle to save weight? [/quote']

That's a pretty interesting abstraction, but I was going for more concreteness. For example, I was going to use the weight to horsepower ratio to determine various speed related stats. Abstracting away weight reduction would invalidate horsepower as a useful concept.

Horsepower, IIRC, works out to a nice round number when converted into Hero terms...something like the power to move 100kg 1" per Segment.

Part of the problem is that the numbers are so variable.

Suicide doors weigh roughly two thirds of what conventional doors weigh, which is roughly two thirds the weight of heavy-duty doors on some models (checker cabs, some trucks, some older models), for example.

Do you have some baselines to work with: models, years, body types, etc?

Part of the problem is that the numbers are so variable.

Suicide doors weigh roughly two thirds of what conventional doors weigh, which is roughly two thirds the weight of heavy-duty doors on some models (checker cabs, some trucks, some older models), for example.

Do you have some baselines to work with: models, years, body types, etc?

I realize they're going to vary a lot. I had some models I was looking at, but at this point I'm willing to take any info I can get.

Found some nice Honda stats (although it doesn't say what model)

The Part List:

PART

OEM WEIGHT NEW WEIGHT

Carbon Fiber Hood 35 lbs 13 lbs

Carbon Fiber Trunk 30 18 lbs

Lightweight Wheels 22-18 lbs 15-8 lbs

Lightweight Lug Nuts

40 Grams 20 Grams

Intake 10 lbs 3 lbs

Header 20 lbs 10 lbs

Exhaust 35 lbs 25 lbs

High Flow Cat 8 lbs 2 lbs

Crank Shaft Pulley 10 lbs 2 lbs

Pulleys 5 lbs 2 lbs

LightWeight Flywheel 22-18lbs 15lbs-8lbs

Lightweight Battery 25lbs 15lbs

Cam Sprockets 2lbs 1.5lbs

The FREE / Race day List:

PART

OEM WEIGHT NEW WEIGHT

Remove Spare Tire 20 lbs 0 lbs

Remove Jack 5 lbs 0 lbs

Remove Floor Mats 10 lbs 0 lbs

Remove Passenger Seat 25 lbs 0 lbs

Remove Rear Seats 10 lbs 0 lbs

Remove Muffler 10 lbs 0 lbs

Drain Washer Fluid 1 lb 0 lbs

Remove Cruise Control 8lbs 0 lbs

Remove Speakers 8 lbs 0 lbs

Remove Radio 4 lbs 0 lbs

And of course the direct cut and paste looks like crap here. Ah well.

• 1 month later...