First-aid kit, physicians bag

Lysando

Re: First-aid kit, physicians bag

Most kits that assist people in the performance of various Skills are written up in HERO as Skill Levels with the relevant Skills, usually with a Focus Limitation. It's certainly possible to build individual medical tools or drugs if you want the detail (for example, +X with Hearing Perception - OAF Stethoscope, or Immunity to Disease with some type of Charge Lim for antibiotics), but for most purposes Skill Levels probably suffice.

You can also treat such items simply as the character having "good equipment" for performance of the Skill, and hence as a bonus to the Skill Roll, without actually giving them any game stats.

It breaks the rules (The inclusion of a broad catagory of SS's upset the three skill rule, but the similarity of the skills it makes more sense than the 5 point), but some of my characters carry:

First aid kit: +2 Skill levels (3 points), Paramedics, Forensic Medicine, medical SS's, OIF or OAF (depending on the character) for a character cost of 4 or 3

I wouldn't write it up at all. It's just mundane equipment that a Paramedic or Doctor needs to use his skill. Without that equipment, you take some penalty on the Paramedic or PS: Doctor, skill roll. With the equipment, you don't have a penalty.

If there is something special about this equipment (magical, super-tech, or just especially high quality), then you might write it as skill levels with the appropriate skills, OAF.

A first aid kit has basically zero overlap with any of the tools' date=' equipment, or supplies you would need to practice forensic medicine.[/quote']

You are probably 100% right, however, for a comic book world it makes sense

So what exactly is in a typical physician's kit? Do we have any doctors on the forums here? If so, what do you carry in your "ready bag", the one you grab in an emergency as you head out the door?

I'm finding an annoying lack of medical equipment write-ups in the Herosphere....I'm going to have to put together a pre-fab, or maybe several prefabs based on tech-level....

ntb

So what exactly is in a typical physician's kit? Do we have any doctors on the forums here? If so, what do you carry in your "ready bag", the one you grab in an emergency as you head out the door?

I'm finding an annoying lack of medical equipment write-ups in the Herosphere....I'm going to have to put together a pre-fab, or maybe several prefabs based on tech-level....

ntb

You're probably finding an annoying lack of write-ups because they're not really needed.

As stated before, most of what you want to do can be done with just +'s to skills and/or using the modifiers in the Ultimate Skill for proper equipment and such.

Another thing is that in Hero most "mundane" stuff doesn't get written up. It's just assumed to function the way it's suppose to and that's that. About the only time someone takes the time to write something up is when it's no longer mundane and is now "special".

There's a pretty huge difference between what you'll find in a household first aid kit and what a paramedic might have in the back of his ambulance, or what a field medic might be carrying in his pack, or what a family practitioner might have in his bag on a house call, if doctors still really made house calls. All of those would be different from what a forensic scientist might carry with him to a crime scene. All of the above would need a facility like a hospital or lab in order to finish the job they started on-site. In fact, many problems will require a number of facilities, between which the patient or samples would have to be transported. Specific sciences require even more specialized equipment and facilities.

Or you could just gloss it over and say that your street-level vigilante can do it all out of the back room of his low-rent downtown apartment.

So what exactly is in a typical physician's kit? Do we have any doctors on the forums here? If so' date=' what do you carry in your "ready bag", the one you grab in an emergency as you head out the door?[/quote']

My sister and brother-in-law are volunteer rescue squad/firefighters, and keep kits in their car trunks. I'm not sure of all that is in there, but it certainly includes the following: band-aids, gauze rolls and pads, tape, antibiotic ointment, sterile wipes, neck braces.

My sister and brother-in-law are volunteer rescue squad/firefighters' date=' and keep kits in their car trunks. I'm not sure of all that is in there, but it certainly includes the following: band-aids, gauze rolls and pads, tape, antibiotic ointment, sterile wipes, neck braces.[/quote']

Yeah, what a first responder carries will be different from what a paramedic or military medic carries. First responders and lower-level EMTs won't have a lot of useful respiratory managment gear or drugs. They might have some splint materials, but nothing like a traction splint or anything more complicated than a cervical collar.

Yeah' date=' what a first responder carries will be different from what a paramedic or military medic carries. First responders and lower-level EMTs won't have a lot of useful respiratory managment gear or drugs. They might have some splint materials, but nothing like a traction splint or anything more complicated than a cervical collar.[/quote']

Actually, I asked my b-in-law last night and I was wrong about most of what I listed. He has 2 kits, a standard first-aid kit with the sorts of thing I mentioned (except the cervical collar which is loose and not a formal part of either kit), and his first responder kit. About the only thing in common was gauze and tape. The only type of "drug" in the latter is a bottle of glucose for diabetic emergencies. There are latex gloves, a "mask" for somewhat-safer rescue breathing, an insertable "airway" device, and a few other things that I can't recall at the moment. A first responder doesn't treat, just tries to stabilize the patient until more competent medical help arrives. The neck brace isn't part of the standard kit apparently because EMTs are not authorized to move the injured person. But a firefighter is authorized in "move him or lose him" cases like a car fire.