[Review] The Ultimate Energy Projector

ghost-angel

• 2 weeks later...

Re: [Review] The Ultimate Energy Projector

I was really pleased with Ultimate Energy Projector. Definitely felt I got my money's worth - with one exception though. What was with the BORING cover? No picture, simple blue black and white colors, and even the text fonts weren't all that energizing.

I was really pleased with Ultimate Energy Projector. Definitely felt I got my money's worth - with one exception though. What was with the BORING cover? No picture' date=' simple blue black and white colors, and even the text fonts weren't all that energizing.[/quote']

I have to agree, while I like the plain covers for what I think of as core books & refrence books (5th, 5er, sidekick, equipment, Character creation, & Combat) I want something with some style for the cover of the other books,

I am sure that it is a cost savings thing, and I can not say if it is going to hurt them in the long run or save them. For that matter as it is something abnormal on the shelf it may catch the eye better and be the best desision, but I still miss the covers of books like Star Hero or Champions...

I'm very sorry to say this, but I was very disappointed with this book. It's probably the most regretted games-related purchase I've ever made.

[text deleted]

There are some good nuggets in there, but I think this is gonna be the first game book I ever put up on ebay. Sorry to be so harsh.

I only looked through this at my FLGS, but I'm leaning towards Transmetahuman's opinion on this one. The special effects section didn't really do much for me, as I generally just adjudicate such things on the fly rather than refer to a book to resolve the interaction. Personally, I don't see a reason to charge extra for multiple special effects - yes, you can hit more vulnerabilities, but you can also have your powers drained via either special effect.

There was significant space devoted to how special effects interact (which is worth a few pages, but not the amount given to them in the book), and a lot of power writeups (which I don't need, especially when I own the UNTIL Superpowers Database), but the things I was really looking for just weren't there. From what I can tell, the chapter that the review says is the shortest (Adventuring With Energy Projectors) is the one I feel should have been the longest one. Maybe I missed them, but some genre staples seemed to be absent. Do they talk about the classic bit of a energy projector's powers increasing out of control or fluctuating wildly? What about using the Power skill to do things like slowing your momentum in a fall (by firing at the ground)?

Finally, I was quite disappointed by how thin the book was. Ultimate Speedster was next to it on the bookshelf, and was twice as thick (and a few dollars cheaper). Since I have both a speedster and an energy projector in my new campaign, I bought the speedster book and left UEP sitting there...

So, anyone want to sell me on UEP? Did I just browse through the wrong sections when I flipped through the book?

Sell you on the UEP?

As far as I can tell, you made the right choice.

You have a Speedster character, you like the Speedster book, and the UEP either largely overlaps other books you have or has large sections you wouldn't use.

For me, the UEP covers the sort of material I do geek over, can use for inspiration when designing new characters, and will influence my future campaign design decisions. It's the right tool for the job at hand.

I think there should be a UEP 2 that hits those things not in UEP, as there are many of them, some more exciting than the groundwork-type material in UEP, and great opportunities to explore more dimension in Energy Projector characters now that the groundwork has been set out for this type of character. I doubt it will happen, but you never know.

• 2 months later...

Just wondering -- how many people who own UEP actually use all the new business about SFX listed in Chapter Two?

To me it just seems to add an unwanted level of complexity to the game, and has the potential to make some current characters more or less powerful than they always were under the 'old' system.

That aside, I do like the book.