[Review] The Ultimate Energy Projector

ghost-angel

The Upside:

Ultimate Energy Projector focuses on characters who utilize energy in some form, from the Superhero Blaster, the Fantasy Mage, Sci-Fi Energy Being, and the like.

Chapter One - Energy Projector Characters. The book opens, like others of its kind, with a discussion on the background of an Energy Projector. Providing guidelines for Backgrounds (how they acquired their abilities), Personalities, and Archetypes.

Moving into Hero System mechanics the book starts with Skills. Skills provides a Ranged Energy Projection Martial Art and some notes on using Science Skills in conjunction with Energy Projection. Talents has some good ideas for Environmental Movement as well.

Powers introduces a lot of new and interesting elements to the game. Starting with a much needed expanded discussion on the idea of Point Of Origin for Powers. For Defense Powers a few very interesting new concepts are introduced. First is an expanded look at the Only Versus Limited Type Limitation. And second is the idea of a Unified Defense Power, which must be defined to work against a specific Special Effect rather than Hero's normal Physical/Energy Defense. Games that feature a lot of different energy types could do well to introduce both. Energy Blast has an option for greater granularity, and an Advantage that can increase the STUN Damage it does. Flash has two options to expand its utility, one is an extended Flash using an Advantage and the other is an alternative rule to how Flash works. Force Field has an optional Advantage called Adjustable that makes it much more versatile. Killing Attacks also get an option for granularity. Probably the best alternate rule introduced is for Missile Deflection And Reflection that removes the built in Special Effects structure. Telekineses has a bunch of goodness it goes over including affecting gases and energy, using it for puppeteering. Transfer has a new Advantage "Transfer To Other."

For Power Advantages Area Of Effect gets the most space, covering a series of new options for creating different kinds of Areas such as Cages, Fixed Shape, Small Explosion and some rules for Autofire. A completely new Advantage is Multiple Special effect, for when combining more than one special effect is needed.

Disadvantages provides one really useful feature, a really big list of Vulnerabilities and their frequency. With an option that expands the Disadvantage to have a Rare option, giving one more step to choose from. Even if you don't use the table as is, having the most often seen special effects in one big list can help a GM alter it to fit their campaign.

Chapter Two - The Energy Spectrum. This chapter does two things. First is it provides a new Option Rule for Special Effect Interaction. In most Hero Games the Special Effect is relegated mostly to flavor text to spice up the game. Using this option is becomes an integral part of the game. The basic idea is that each Special Effect interacts with other Special Effects - a lot of the time nothing to dramatic happens, but sometimes one Special Effect is extraordinairily effective or ineffective against another, and so bonuses and minuses may appear. The rule takes each Effect, measures it against all other effects, determines the overall effect (a positive or negative number) and assigns an Adder/Advantage or Limitation Value to that Effect.

The second part analyzes each Special Effect in detail, all thirty two of the most commonly seen effects (with notes on variations). Each Effect has a description, a discussion of possible secondary effects (most notably for measurable real world effects like Fire), and then compares it to every other Effect with notes on how they interact. Sometimes the interaction is a bonus to dice, a loss of defense on one part or similar. And sometimes it's an unpredictable effect that goes into even more detail, like the interaction between Gravity Manipulation and Dimensional Manipulation. At the end of each section of small grouping of Power Builds is provided as examples.

The rule regarding Effects Interaction can be a very useful tool for games wanting to bring Special Effects more to the foreground of the action. However, I would suggest a GM take a good look at exactly how things will impact their game, especially if a Special Effect cause an Advantage to be placed on Powers where that Advantage may not come into play all the time, or even some of the time. As presented they don't always appear to add up, I would suggest anyone who uses the rules strait out of the book be prepared to reevaluate just how things are working in the game after some playing, and change things if needed.

On the other hand, if a GM is looking to set up Special Effect Interactions in their game then these rules are extremely helpful and can go a long way to adding depth and flavor to the game.

Chapter Three - Energy Projectors Genre By Genre. This is a collection of NPCs for the Champions, Dark Champions, Fantasy Hero, Pulp Hero, and Star Hero genre. Four Champions NPCs, Aura (a Lifeforce based Superheroine), EMP (Electromagnetic based supervillain), Howler (a rework of the classic Sonic based villainess), and Pulson (a low powered Pulson based supervillain). Dark Champions has Voltaic, a electricity based villain in a taser suit. Fantasy Hero has mages; Arkosh Stoneflame (a mage focusing on the four elements) and Galvandrian Twelvefires (a minor mage who uses wands instead of spells). Pulp Hero has The Element-Master, a villain who can adjust temperature, good for Pulp games with a mystic bent. Star Hero has Boss Saturn, an energy based being who runs a crime syndicate.

Howler is rebuilt using the optional rules from Chapter two to provide an example of using them. The rest of the characters are built using the standard Hero Rules.

Chapter Four - Adventuring With Energy Projectors. This short chapter focuses on Energy Projectors interacting with the rest of the game. For the most part this is a basic Archetype and rarely causes balance issues. So the chapter focuses on different ways that energy projection can be used in a game. Some interesting rules for Radio Interference are presented. Coordinated Attacks is a new combat maneuver that allows energy projectors to combine their attacks for great effect, relying on the Special Effect or Active Points to determine just how they combine. Interference provides rules to use one Special Effect to counteract another's attack. Sustained Attack provides some rules to create a temporary Continuous Attack. Contests Of Power are optional rules for the classic two energy beams meet in the middle effect. Nova Blasts are some suggestions on how to create the effect of the super blast used as a last ditch effort. All the optional combat maneuvers are good additions to games involving Energy Blasters. especially multiple energy blasters.

One other concept introduced and referenced in the first two chapters is the concept of an Orginating Special Effect and a Manifest Special Effect. Sometimes they aren't the same, the most common example is Magic as an Origin and Fire (such as a fireball spell) as the Manifest Special Effect. Creating this distinction can have some interesting effects on the game and how certain Effects work for or against each other, especially with the idea of Negative Adjustment Powers.

The Downside:

There very little discussion of actually setting up Energy Blasters outside the obvious Superhero genre, even though this archetype is one of the few that really lends itself to being in every genre.

The Otherside:

This is mostly a set of rules for the Hero System and using Special Effects in Hero to interact with each other in more detail.

Overall this is a pretty good book, especially if you're looking to do more with Special Effects in the Hero System beyond the standard Mechanics interaction. This could be used to create a very interesting Magic System for a Fantasy Hero game for instance, or add a new dimension to a Champions game.

Re: [Review] The Ultimate Energy Projector

I appreciate the time and trouble you have put in to review the product. I do have some issues witht he sfx interaction but the product as a whole opens very exciting possibilities and expands the scope of the game.

I have some of the same that came out of our conversation. But I haven't actually play tested them yet and so, am unsure just how founded those concerns are. So, I left it as a vague "be careful" in the review. . .

I'm still poking Chapter 2.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, very good review, as it is the sourcebook in question.

Pardon me if I hijack the issue just a bit, what is you opinion about about the several new character options provided by UEP ? E.g. variant rules for point of origin, adjustable FF, and Multiple Special Effects.

Yeah, very good review, as it is the sourcebook in question.

Pardon me if I hijack the issue just a bit, what is you opinion about about the several new character options provided by UEP ? E.g. variant rules for point of origin, adjustable FF, and Multiple Special Effects.

In the right setting, they're all great options.

the Point Of Origin bit is a much needed expansion on the short paragraphs in 5ER.

I have mixed feelings on the Multiple Special Effects Advantage, half of me is of the opinion that you can assign SFX freely, even lots of them, to a Power. But if you're going to use Chapter 2 the Advantage makes more sense.

Adjustable force field does not really look to be worth it, unless you have a force field that includes exotic defences. I like the Unified Defence mechanism. In fact I like most of the new/variant/optional rules. I am not keen on the 'suffocation' build. The damage differentiation rules are very welcome.

The new rules ahave a slightly fast and loose feel to them to my mind, which I like: they do not feel set in stone, and many of them will be very useful, I feel.

As Hugh says multiple sfx is an advantage I'd probably only use if I was using chapter 2. In a 'straight' game, MSFX would be useful (potentially) for triggering vulnerabilities, so i'd probably tell a player ythey can have as many sfx as they like but have to pick one to trigegr vulnerabilities, or pay an advantage or adder for having more than one.

Actually Multiple Special Effects probably are the one new option that most leaves me cold. I won't deny that might be the occasional character concept that might really call for it. But I think that in many other, likely most, cases, you can fulfill the concept equally well with good old Variable Special Effect, which provides added flexibility bang for the same character-point buck.

Actually Multiple Special Effects probably are the one new option that most leaves me cold. I won't deny that might be the occasional character concept that might really call for it. But I think that in many other' date=' likely most, cases, you can fulfill the concept equally well with good old Variable Special Effect, which provides added flexibility bang for the same character-point buck.[/quote']

The main difference is that Multiple SFX allows you to have 2+ SFX at the same time, not vary the SFX.

...which' date=' against the right target, can be very effective indeed![/quote']

Yes, but only in the infrequent case that the character has a double Vulnerability or Susceptibility and your Multiple SFX is poised to make advantage of both at once, otherwise (e.g. there is only Vuln or Suscept to exploit) Variable SFX can provide the same tactical advantage, and is cheaper and more flexible (i.e. for the same price, you can access a wider range of SFX). Make no mistake, I graciously acknowledge that there are several character concepts where MSFX perfectly realizes the flavor of the power, and just like pretty much all the new character options in UEP, it may be useful and flavorful in the right concept and situation, and therefore MSFX is a rather welcome addition to the HERO system (really, IMO there can never be a thing like too many options :cool:), but in many cases VSFX remains a valid substitute. So I won't rush to smudge VSFX out in every char sheet and write MSFX in its place.

What is your opinion about the new options for Missile Deflection/Reflection and Powers' Point of Origin ?

MSFX comes into it's own when you start using Chapter Two, where indeed you can invariably gain benefits on MSFX without the requisite Vulnerability or Susceptibility.

Though, you run into the danger of Min/Maxing SFX themselves. But it, as an Advantage, really only does make good sense if you're using the SFX Interaction Rules.

As for Point Of Origin - as I pointed out in my review it is a much needed expansion on the basic concept of Point Of Origin and I like it a lot. It goes a long way to de-generify (that is so not a real word) the concept of Powers and how they function.

In a standard game, Multiple SFX comes in handy when you don't know what the target has a vulnerability or susceptibility to. With two SFX (say "Divine" and "Fire"), you have two chances that the target might be vulnerable to your attack, not just one. Sure you can choose from a wider range with Variable SFX, but that's only a significant improvement if your character has a power or KS that lets him know the target's vulnerability.

In conjunction with the optional rules in Chp 2, where there's a real chance of gaining or losing 1-3 DC with every attack depending on the SFX you're using, Multiple SFX comes into its own.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm very sorry to say this, but I was very disappointed with this book. It's probably the most regretted games-related purchase I've ever made. Sooooo much space is taken up by repetitive boilerplate like this stuff:

"(SFX type 1)

(SFX type 2) has no special interaction with (SFX type 1); it neither gains nor loses against this special effect.

(SFX type 3)

(SFX type 3) has no special interaction with (SFX type 1); it neither gains nor loses against this special effect."

On and on for pages. It would have been simple to just list the pairs that do have interesting interactions - and avoid the appearance that the author was just padding a very thin book. At least separate out the elements/energies that, since they only exist in fiction, don't really have special interactions with much of anything.

The suffocation rules were pretty disappointing, too; overly complex, clunky, and clearly too expensive. Yes, you can build a spoon out of HERO Powers; that doesn't mean it's worth 35 points. Like the Time Stop power I remember Steve once wrote up, it reads more like an argument for "why the GM shouldn't let anyone take it" than an attempt to make a useful rule.

I understand why so many of the items in the book refer the reader to other HERO books for explanations, and that aspect didn't really bother me much - but it does add to the sense of getting ripped off when put in the context of the rest of the book.

I'm starting to think Steve's writing style is too dry and mechanical for my tastes, too. Precise, but not always easy to grasp - much like a legal document. Actually, yeah, this reminded me a little of the 401 (K) documentation that I was reading this morning.

There are some good nuggets in there, but I think this is gonna be the first game book I ever put up on ebay. Sorry to be so harsh.

Perhaps you guys can cut out the middle man. You should shoot transmetahuman a PM.

Alas.

I am a weak-willed fool.

It arrived today in my local shop, all black and glossy and with those alluring blue tones on that sharp font on the cover, and I had to get it then and there.

Full price.

Retail.

It's very, very pretty. It is precious to me. Though I buy it at a great cost. My own. My precious.

Alas.

I am a weak-willed fool.

It arrived today in my local shop, all black and glossy and with those alluring blue tones on that sharp font on the cover, and I had to get it then and there.

Full price.

Retail.

It's very, very pretty. It is precious to me. Though I buy it at a great cost. My own. My precious.

Hey, that look cool, mind if I hold it for a second?

Alas.

I am a weak-willed fool.

Full price.

Retail.

Just wait, a few years from now you'll be living in your mom's basement and some little creep from Hobbiton will drop in and swipe it. Happens every time.

Hey' date=' that look cool, mind if I hold it for a second?[/quote']

Mind? Not at all.

Bring a few friends over, we'll write up some characters (can you bring character sheets and dice?) and play a few sessions (can you bring a module?)

I'll GM, if you want, but I'm pretty rusty, so if one of you wants to GM, I'm working on a spreadsheet-based tool for kicking out results based on the UEP type-vs-type matrix, that'll help speed things up.

Oh, and as a review, I was surprised by how much I liked this substantial addition to the game. It's not perhaps as exotic as UMA, and not everyone would find it adds to their enjoyment or corresponds with their interests, but for people who geek on energy projectors.. it goes a long, long way.

Oh, and as a review, I was surprised by how much I liked this substantial addition to the game. It's not perhaps as exotic as UMA, and not everyone would find it adds to their enjoyment or corresponds with their interests, but for people who geek on energy projectors.. it goes a long, long way.

Yeah... it sounds like it could really add a lot to certain types of games.