Traveller Hero - A concern

Bygoneyrs

Hello everyone,

Ok I have bought and have in my hands the four products published for Traveller Hero and they are:

- Traveller Hero Book #1

- Traveller Hero Book #2

Plus the New 1248 Era books that is the ComStar Traveller Era setting and their two supporting books are:

- The New Era 1248 Sourcebook 1

- New Era 1248 Sourcebook II

Now with the advent of Mongoose Publishing gaining the rights to put out Traveller, and it will be the only supporter of the Traveller line in the near future. It sounds like after ComStar lience runs out, it will be the end of the Traveller Hero line. Mongoose Pub has their own game system which is alot like the old Traveller d6 system. Here is the Mongoose Pub site:

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/news/news_item.php?pkid_news=166

So what do you guys think will happen to Traveller Hero, I feel with the four books I now have I can keep building for my Genre. Now that is why I want to see the Star Hero line grow as well too. Now I also realize that anything put out by Mongoose or anyone, can always be used as resourse ideas stuff and converted to the Hero's System but what do the rest of you think?

Penn

Re: Traveller Hero - A concern

I'll let Polaris give any official answer...

What we forsee, if Mongoose is indeed the only Traveller in the galaxy, is to produce Star Hero products with a Traveller feel but that can be used with other Star Hero campaigns. That is, of course, assuming that Traveller Hero and Star Hero products continue to sell, and that ComStar and Hero continue their good licensing relationship (which anything to the contrary would be a big surprise).

I agree with Eodin, also from the general reactions to the annoucement about the Mongoose license, most everybody got broadsided by it, I sure didnt expect to see this happen. I would have figured if anybody had gotten such a license it would have been Comstar-Avenger or Steve Jackson or QLI in all seriousness. I have lots of great ideas for some stuff to support Star Hero/Terran Empire also, but time will tell.

the original mongoose press release was a bit over the top, to quote Ken Burnside at Ad Astra, I'm not sure anybody knows for sure what will come next.

personally, I really doubt I will buy Rikki Tikki Traveller, I have all the previous editions. but at least for now, I cant see buying it.

Well I have all the various previous versions of Traveller, BUT I like the new Era of 1248 the best because it ties everything together perfectly. I must say too, that I for one after playing Traveller for like 30+ yrs that the whole Virus Concept plot-line sucked. I for one wanted to 'move on' and put it behind the game, and ComStar did a awesome job!

I hope they can keep putting out Traveller Hero, or maybe start writing stuff for Star Hero too. Maybe even come up with their own unique Space Universe and write for that using the Hero System.

Penn

Well, they're planning to slap the OGL on their Traveller system so others can use it, and Mark Miller's company Far Future is proceeding with plans for T5.

I suspect that, like most licences, this one is of limited duration and when it expires Comstar will either renew it or not renew it based on the needs of itself and the licence holder. Fairly standard stuff, actually.

I agree about the OGL, if that happens, Comstar could just produce material with both HERO and OGL Trav stats. I say this of course by the Word of Blake.

BUT, I read something that led me to believe that other licensees would not be given the opportunity to get a new lease on their "life" or at least their games.

Personally, I'd love to see them come up with their own setting too. I was very impressed with their work, I ahve bought several things from them and Avenger and I would like to see more in the near future.

Hi all,

We still have over a year on the license for ComStar/Avenger to produce Traveller materials (including for the Hero System). In addition to a number of pdfs, we also still have a very special print book in the works (one that I am personally VERY excited about adding to my gaming library).

As we get closer to the end of our license, we will be talking over options with Mongoose. The head of our Traveller line, Martin Dougherty, has a very positive working relationship with Mongoose. We are hopeful that something positive can be worked out, but are making plans in case it does not.

Eodin gave a very good explanation... we are hoping to continue our licensing arrangement with Hero Games and to broaden it to include products outside of the OTU. This would allow us to publish materials that would provide great support for Traveller Hero, even if it is not 'officially' Traveller.

Right now there are a lot of things that are outside of our control... so, when that happens, we are just going to do our best to focus on the things that we do have some control over (namely to get as much Traveller Hero material to you as possible).

William

ComStar

http://www.comstar-games.com

Personally, I'd love to see them come up with their own setting too. I was very impressed with their work, I ahve bought several things from them and Avenger and I would like to see more in the near future.

You must be reading our minds...:)

Material that was originally intended for Traveller is being reworked, modernized and (hopefully!) improved... soon we will be unveiling "Far Avalon".

William