Anyone try 'Black' Hero Action Points?

Alverant

I'm planning a DC campaign with HAP and had this idea. I got it from Knights of the Dinner Table story about Player Advantage Cards. If a player is out of HAP or doesn't want to use one, he can use a Black HAP. For ever Black HAP a player uses, the GM (me) can use a HAP against any player except the one who used the initial Black HAP. I thought this may up the fun factor of the game. Has anyone ever tried something like that?

Re: Anyone try 'Black' Hero Action Points?

I'm planning a DC campaign with HAP and had this idea. I got it from Knights of the Dinner Table story about Player Advantage Cards. If a player is out of HAP or doesn't want to use one' date=' he can use a Black HAP. For ever Black HAP a player uses, the GM (me) can use a HAP against any player except the one who used the initial Black HAP. I thought this may up the fun factor of the game. Has anyone ever tried something like that?[/quote']

It sounds like something that would work better in a genre that is less "dark and serious" than DC usually tends to be. I see lots of opportunity for actions that border on slapstick which might break the mood for some players (unless, of course, your aim is for dark comedy).

I've come up with a similar idea, which I call Triumph Points and Tragedy Points. Triumph Points are, essentially, HAP. If you're out of Triumph Points and you need one, you can take a Tragedy Point in exchange. Tragedy Points are just like Triumph Points, except the GM gets to spend them against you.

Deadlands has the fate chips.

I dont have the rulebook at my side, but from memory, there were three levels, white, blue and Red.

White was low level sucess, while the higher colors ment more success. It worked pretty well, The PCs could keep characters alive in case of bad dice rolls, but really could never make a bad or stupid plan work due the spending of the chips.

I'm planning a DC campaign with HAP and had this idea. I got it from Knights of the Dinner Table story about Player Advantage Cards. If a player is out of HAP or doesn't want to use one' date=' he can use a Black HAP. For ever Black HAP a player uses, the GM (me) can use a HAP against any player except the one who used the initial Black HAP. I thought this may up the fun factor of the game. Has anyone ever tried something like that?[/quote']Haven't tried it; our Star Hero (Firefly-esque) game has HAPs.

If we did adopt it, I'd change it so that the HAP could only be used against the player that generated the Black HAP...

...or double the HAPs against the player that generated the Black HAP...

...or possibly, double HAP's for the player, plus a HAP for the rest of the party...

...yes, me likee! :eg:

I'd be leery of the "on anyone but the player who used it" rule. It could encourage excess Black Hero Point expenditure' date=' since the consequences land on someone else.[/quote']

The idea is that peer pressure would keep people from using it unless necessary. Plus my group is made up of two married couples and the brother of one of the wives. So anyone who uses a BHAP runs the risk of the punishment coming down on their spouse or sibling.