Hero System Sources for Computers/AIs

CorPse

Hey Gang,

I'm running an agent level campaign these days, and I find myself using computers a lot... There's the little section in 5ER, of course.

But where else can I find info? I've heard Star Hero has some things, but is it enough to buy it just for that? Also, I've got the 4th ed Cyber Hero, but I've never cracked it...

Anything else I'm not thinking of?

Thanks for your help...

Re: Hero System Sources for Computers/AIs

Hey Gang,

I'm running an agent level campaign these days, and I find myself using computers a lot... There's the little section in 5ER, of course.

But where else can I find info? I've heard Star Hero has some things, but is it enough to buy it just for that? Also, I've got the 4th ed Cyber Hero, but I've never cracked it...

Anything else I'm not thinking of?

Thanks for your help...

Well, tho' I have yet to have the spare pennies to invest in it and so

I can't be certain but I think that there is some detail in The

Ultimate Vehicle. At least, that is my reading of the blurb that is in

the online store re: the TUV character pack for HDv3....

As for the Star Hero purchase ? Well, I'm a fan of the genre and a

bit of a 'compleatist' so I'd say it's worth buying, even if the AI

section might not be what you are seeking. Since I am at work I

can't give you a page count/details on what's covered. I do recall

that there is some stuff in both Galactic Hero and in The Spacers

Toolkit, with the later probably having more 'prefab stuff'.....

-Carl-

The Equipment Guide will probably serve you best overall, it has a section on Computers, designing and using them. (and all that other Equipment that will be helpful to your game.)

Star Hero has some information on Computers, but a lot of it is space-ship centric on top of normal Computers. It's a good book either way, if nothing else pick up the PDF.

If you just need some builds I'd get the Hero Designer Character Packs for Star Hero, Terran Empire & Spacer's Toolkit (1 pack, both books), and Alien Wars - all of which have some sample computers and are fairly cheap compared to the books if you really don't want all the other information.

The Equipment Guide will probably serve you best overall' date=' it has a section on Computers, designing and using them. (and all that other Equipment that will be helpful to your game.) ... [/quote']

Thanks GA.

I was hoping you'd drop by. I figured your encyclopedic (or at the very least wikipedic :thumbup:) knowledge of Hero System titles would prove useful here.

I actually had a Q on this one.

PC has a combat vehicle within which lies her main combat capacity.

Vehicle has an on-board AI which can run it at other times, but ...

PC has a mind link with the AI.

Question: who pays for the AI? Does the PC pay the points for the Vehicle, and out of the Vehicle's points come the 5:1 points for the AI? Or should the PC be paying the points for both the Vehicle and the AI?

Question: who pays for the AI? Does the PC pay the points for the Vehicle' date=' and out of the Vehicle's points come the 5:1 points for the AI? Or should the PC be paying the points for both the Vehicle [i']and[/i] the AI?

According to 5ER, you calculate the cost for the computer and vehicle seperately, and add them together. Both get the 1/5 cost break.

According to 5ER' date=' you calculate the cost for the computer and vehicle seperately, and add them together. Both get the 1/5 cost break.[/quote']

This is also my understanding of the rules, based on what I've been reading...

Now if the AI were a PC, then you'd have a truly interesting situation!

Also' date=' I've got the 4th ed [i']Cyber Hero[/i], but I've never cracked it...

Don't bother. Based on the responses I've seen, Kazei 5 does it far better. Uhm... not that it helps you much here, although there is a section on cyberspace in the book.

You might find this useful: MetaCyber Technology

Also, here's a thread I started at one point to pursue some more advanced things you can do w/ Computers in the HERO System for MetaCyber (but ultimately abandoned since no one else seemed to get it):

Thread on HERO System Computers