Yet another Star Wars topic....

NuSoardGraphite

Hey guys! I've just started a new Star Wars game (Jedi Hero!) and was wanting some advice from the Hero guru's.

The game I've started takes place in the New Jedi Order era, 24 ABY about 1 year before the Yuhzan Vong invasion. The PC's are apprentice Jedi (well, 2 of them are, the 3rd is...well...special) and do not yet have their own personal Lightsabers. I wanted the accumulation of the pieces to their sabers and its construction to be part of the campaign. The quality of the parts they put into the saber, the amount of time spent communing with The Force to get the inspiriation for their weapon and of course, the crystal they use for its heart will all be of vital importance in determining the sabers quality and its capabilities.

What I wanted advice on is this: How difficult do you think it should be to build a Lightsaber? After reading the Lightsaber article on Wookiepedia I've decided on a Base Time of 1 month. Attempting to build a Lightsaber faster than this will accrue penalties. Taking longer is fine and will provide a bonus (6months +1, 1 year +2 5 years +3 etc) but in all likely hood, the PC's will not take longer than 1 month. Also, what skills should be necessary to build the Lightsaber. Obviously Mechanics, Electronics and Weaponsmith are required...perhaps a few Science skills (Subatomic Physics? Quantum Physics?) will prove complimentary.

Re: Yet another Star Wars topic....

My first question is; why is a base time important? I just see the need for it. In fact, once all the parts are ready for assembly, I would say a few hours top. Now, rare and exotic components that the characters have to go "adventure" to find is something I can sink my teeth into. If it is just a reference number I can also understand, especially if a character loses his saber along the way. You and he will want to know how long he is without his focus.

The makes the next question; is a character without a saber going to actually adventure during that month or is he going to sit at home assembling the components for the new saber? The former could extend the time without a saber considerably and the latter would make the character useless until the saber was built. In either case, would the player be interested in that time without his character functioning as he is "supposed" to (as a Jedi as opposed to a Smuggler or Bounty Hunter)?

I think Weaponsmith: Lightsaber would be the first order. A complimentary KS: Lightsaber Construction would not go amiss. I'm not sure that a Jedi would need to understand how it works so much as how it fits together.

Electronics and Mechanics could be complimentary. If you allow modifications to the "base" lightsaber in your game, then Inventor and the science skills you listed might then become appropriate.

I, Jedi by Micheal Stackpole

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I%2C_Jedi

This was the best story reason on the creation of Lightsabre's I could find. 0I wish I had it infront of me and could read you the text. The gist of it is that the parts are inherently weaker without the use the Force in its construction. The Ritual is described in detail and is really suits the concept.

QM

My first question is; why is a base time important? I just see the need for it. In fact' date=' once all the parts are ready for assembly, I would say a few hours top.[/quote']

The base time of 1 month takes into consideration both time to commune with The Force to gain the initial inspiration for the Lightsaber, then time necessary to gather the specific parts. Everything must be "just so" when building a Lightsaber, finding just any old part won't do.

Now, rare and exotic components that the characters have to go "adventure" to find is something I can sink my teeth into.

Thats a big part of it. The characters will be collecting parts as they adventure. A piece of a dead battledroid. The powercell from a Geonocian plasma drill. An electromagnetic coil from a Heavy Blaster. The Force will guide them and let them know an essential part when they find it.

The "Heart" of the Saber that they will definately have to adventure to find will be its focusing crystal. Of course, a major point of the game will envolve special crystals that can enhance the properties of Lightsabers (and the Force powers of their wielders) so that particular adventure is sort of "built in" the campaign :)

If it is just a reference number I can also understand, especially if a character loses his saber along the way. You and he will want to know how long he is without his focus.

Yes, 1 month as a base time is mostly a referrence number. I took it from the Lightsaber article on Wookieepedia.

The makes the next question; is a character without a saber going to actually adventure during that month or is he going to sit at home assembling the components for the new saber? The former could extend the time without a saber considerably and the latter would make the character useless until the saber was built. In either case, would the player be interested in that time without his character functioning as he is "supposed" to (as a Jedi as opposed to a Smuggler or Bounty Hunter)?

Well, if a Jedi is needed, they have "generic" sabers that a Jedi can use temporarily if a Jedi finds themselves bereft of their personal saber. Also, a skilled and experienced Jedi can build a generic saber in as little as 2 days time, which was done quite often during The Clone Wars and other times of great need. The personal Sabers that a Jedi uses as a part of his Force focusing rituals requires time to communne with The Force and the appropriate time to gather components and carefully assemble the weapon.

I think Weaponsmith: Lightsaber would be the first order. A complimentary KS: Lightsaber Construction would not go amiss. I'm not sure that a Jedi would need to understand how it works so much as how it fits together.

Good call! KS: Lightsaber Construction it is. Lets see if any of my players think of that.

Electronics and Mechanics could be complimentary. If you allow modifications to the "base" lightsaber in your game, then Inventor and the science skills you listed might then become appropriate.

Well I was thinking that Electronics, Mechanics and Weaponsmith would be required. First a Weaponsmith roll to design the weapon. Second an Electronics roll to assemble the innards. Lastly a Mechanics roll to put it all in the housing. Science skills (like Subatomic Physics etc) could be complimentary to the Weaponsmith skill (during the design phase) although, Lightsaber Construction KS would be complimentary to all three rolls. Jedi are also allowed to use their "Force Attunement" powers to add to the rolls. (Force Attunement is the only mandatory power in a Jedi's Force Multipower. It represents the hyper-competence that Jedi posses...it consists of 10pt Overall Skill Levels that Cost End. Thus for every 10pts of the Jedi's Multipower, they have +1 Overall Skill Level...the typical "Jedi Knight" has a Multipower pool of around 40pts and thus a Force Attunement of +4. Yoda rocks a pool of 90, thus has access to up to +9. Anakin had 120 or +12...such a waste)

As far as the Inventor skill is concerned, indeed if a Jedi wants a very unique saber that hasn't been done before (or at least, one that hasn't had its construction method "archived", for example a Lightwhip) an Inventor roll is absolutely essential and is required during the initial design phase along with the Weaponsmith roll.

Ah ha. The idea that a Lightsaber would be available for use while the personal "focus" saber is under construction clears up a lot of things. Almost sounds like the Shadowrun magical item creation Initiation feat. That answers all my questions. Thanks.

I still don't see Obi-Wan, or god forbid Luke, having a baseline knowledge in subatomic physics, but maybe those things are as common to TGFFA as us understanding the basic principles of an internal combustion engine is to us.

I'm interested in seeing how these rules work out in actual play. Would you mind posting a note when you get to play it out?

I would think you'd just have the Lightsaber Contruction skill as the complimentary, and leave out the hypermetabolic physics or whatever. That means they learn advanced physics as it relates to lightsabers, but don't have the grasp to understand how to create a quantum flux field, or what have you.

Um.

Weaponsmith: Lightsaber. Period, full stop. There is nothing else, skillwise, that the Jedi should need in order to construct their lightsaber. Everything else is a matter of being in tune with the Force. Of course, it'd help to know how you're running the Force in your game, but c'est la vie.

A base time of 1 month would be good; next step would actually be 1 season (3 months), but whichever. As it was noted in some location or another, during the Clone Wars it took Jedi Masters pressed for time only a couple of days to assemble a lightsaber. Ideally, the Jedi should possess the Concentration ability, and be able to drop the Universal Skill levels it gives into the construction. Otherwise, presuming they have the three 'Force Skills':

Control Force: A roll necessary to be able to control their own movements in precisely the right manner in order to get everything placed exactly the same.

Sense Force: A roll necessary to be able to understand how the lightsaber's parts are meant to work together in a harmonious whole, and to fit them to that pattern.

Alter Force: A roll necessary to be able to take the lightsaber's mundane components and be able to tie them in so that they are considerably more than the sum of their parts.

As for questing for all the parts? The only thing a Jedi really should need to 'quest' for is the focussing crystal(s). Everything else is going to be either uniquely constructed by the Jedi, or going to be available and acquirable in a walk through most semi-civilized planetary bazaars. Luke constructed his own lightsaber (the green one) in the swamps of Dagobah; Leia constructed hers in the wilds of Tatooine. Both of them gained assistance from R2-D2, notably.

As for questing for all the parts? The only thing a Jedi really should need to 'quest' for is the focussing crystal(s). Everything else is going to be either uniquely constructed by the Jedi, or going to be available and acquirable in a walk through most semi-civilized planetary bazaars. Luke constructed his own lightsaber (the green one) in the swamps of Dagobah; Leia constructed hers in the wilds of Tatooine. Both of them gained assistance from R2-D2, notably.

I agree with almost everything you said. I think the reason for "questing" for parts for the lightsaber is to make it more personal. A Jedi's lightsaber should be a reflection of the Jedi himself. As for Luke building his second lightsaber on Daghoba, where did you see this? My understanding was that he did it in Obi Wan's old hut on Tattooine (Shadows of the Empire, if I recall correctly).

I agree with almost everything you said. I think the reason for "questing" for parts for the lightsaber is to make it more personal. A Jedi's lightsaber should be a reflection of the Jedi himself.

This I understand, but my point isn't that the lightsaber shouldn't be PERSONAL -- for power you can use a power source that comes from an old T-12P message droid, or the capacitor coil of a HT-22 blaster pistol, or a power balancer for the front repulsor coil of a F96 'Sandshark' speeder bike -- but you shouldn't have to QUEST for them. 'Nah, that doesn't have the right feel. Oh, wait, here's something...' My point is that the items are things that 'feel right' to the Jedi, but aren't unique or special things that they have to fight through the Dung Pits of Glyve for, the way they do the focussing crystal.

As for Luke building his second lightsaber on Daghoba' date=' where did you see this? My understanding was that he did it in Obi Wan's old hut on Tattooine ([i']Shadows of the Empire, [/i]if I recall correctly).

*shrugs* Didn't know for certain, somewhat presumed. I'll concede that Obi-Wan's old home makes more sense, since he was headed that way anyhow. I'd suppose/guess that that's where Leia built hers, too.

so what other bonuses should apply?

Tools? Obviously tools will be needed to build the lightsaber, unless one is using TK-fine manipulation (probably not). Good quality tools and a well-stocked facility...+1? +3?

And how about rolling a failure? What would the consequence of this be? I'm thinking the innards of the saber burn out and is unsalvagable...start all over.

Tools? Obviously tools will be needed to build the lightsaber' date=' unless one is using TK-fine manipulation (probably not). Good quality tools and a well-stocked facility...+1? +3?[/quote']I think the quality of the facility should impose a modifier from In the Field at some sort of negative to At the Jedi Academy with the best bonus. I would think -2 to +2 should give a good range. Season to taste.

Anything from burnt and unsalvageable to something more insidious like a hidden Burnout roll or Side Effect or both. :eg: