I could use a little help

Dracos125

I'm just learning the game and building my first Character.

I would apprieciate some help with my Character idea, I'm currently needing some disadvantages. I have room for 70 more points of disadvantages and I'm playing an Electric using energy projeector who can currently only use a direct conduit for acurate attacks. My direct conduit is a waited chain and My Character name is Power Line.

Re: I could use a liitle help

Welcome to the forums and to Champions/HERO! :)

Power Line sounds pretty cool. As for disads, what do you have so far? The backstory tends to be where they get generated - Public vs. Secret ID, Hunteds, DNPCs and the like. Any problems as a result of his powers/biology - a Susceptibility to being well-grounded or to 'Electrabanite', a Vulnerability to Drains and Transfers? Strong personal codes that could be Psych Lims? Maybe a Distinctive Feature that his personal power signature is very easy to spot by appropriate sensors?

Would putting RESTRAINABLE (-1/2) on your power since you must use the chain to use it help ? How about DOES NOT WORK in WATER(-1/4) might also help unless you want to shock yourself. LIMITED RANGE/NO RANGE (-1/2) I mean how long is that chain?

What other disads do you have?

Perhaps you could post the stats you've got for the character so far? Give us a much more specific idea of the powers, skills, background and what you've got already?

Champions characters go together a lot better when you've written the background, personality/motivation, and appearance out in full first.

In the campaign the entire planet was hit with radiation, If I remember the numbers right 10% of the population has powers 1% are useful for fights. Our team is watched by the government for 15 points and secret id for 15 points. I am picking up absorbtion for Electricity only, flight, teleport through conductors only, and magnetic abilities. I'm thinking about getting the accidental change from his normal look to hero when exposed to large amounts of electricity and storms.

Well, for disads I'd consider some of the following:

Susc. Immersion in water while using powers. 3d6 instant

Susc. Strong Magnetic Fields 1d6 per phase

Susc. being entangled or coated in non-conductive medium, weakness per phase.

Vuln. Metal Slashing or Piercing Melee weapons (swords, knives, metal spears)

Vuln. Electrical Attacks that can't be absorbed (overload)

Would putting RESTRAINABLE (-1/2) on your power since you must use the chain to use it help ? How about DOES NOT WORK in WATER(-1/4) might also help unless you want to shock yourself. LIMITED RANGE/NO RANGE (-1/2) I mean how long is that chain?

What other disads do you have?

Those are Limitations. Not Disadvantages.

---

2-3 Psychological Limitation Disadvantages are good for some Character personality.

DNPCs can be for all kinds of fun.

Every really annoy someone? Perhaps a genuine Hunted.

Rivalry with someone (in or out of Character).

Post the characters background, I'm sure we could pull a couple more Disads from it.

I've grown to believe one of the very few flaws of the Hero system is the need to justify a 350 point plus, character with at least 150 points worth of disadvantages.

It's the odd time that I create a villain/hero and can easily come up with the extra points I need. I don't believe Hunted’s should give character points, or that someone should get distinctive features from wearing a uniform. The game is going to be filled with GM inspired villains. What difference does it make to have Hunted’s on a character build when the GM's going to throw them at you anyway.

I only allow these things because you can't scrounge 350 points without them and you need 350 in-order to compete with the average champions villain. I also feel that if you're creating anything other then an uninspired brick you need the 350pts to complete the character concept.

Ugly bricks, may have size and appearance disadvantages from the Social or physical categories. If the characters a mutant, then you can milk anouther social disadvantage. But what do you do if the concept doesn't fit this mold?

I think the thing to do is ask yourself the basic questions; Is my character a mutant? Is his appearance unusual? Does he change form, or is he always in his Heroic Identity (either may be built as a disadvantage)? Does he have a stringent code of ethics, or conduct that he adheres to, such as a code vs. killing a chivalrous nature or the like? If you're still struggling come up with some fears or a phobia that would fit the character (psychological). Susceptibilities and Vulnerabilities are often a necessary evil and you can usually fit at least on into the design with a solid explanation.

Just do your best and use the published work as examples. If you don't have any world books, just get started with the characters and rebuild them once you feel you have a better grasp on the mechanics.

Welcome to the boards. Much to my dismay, I live here. :idjit: Where's my helmet? Ah, yes.

I am the Lord Captain Thia Halmades. Nice to meet you! Don't mind the ice cream cone, I only hit GA and t3h bunneh with it. As for your question:

You could very well have any number of phobias; including Claustrophobia (fear of being restrained), hydrophobia (your power went off in a swimming pool once and a lot of people got very badly hurt, including one of them possibly being hospitalized or even dying). DNPC, your unnecessarily hot 4-color girlfriend, Hunted: Families of the people you scorched, Secret Identity; in theory, you're cooling your heels in a cell right now, but (these people) set you free and are letting you "repay your debt to society" for nuking a local pool that one time, which later we find out was really part of [this plotline].

I echo the comments above. You need to know who your character is, not what his stats are, to generate disadvantages. What is his personality? What is his life outside of costume? What motivates him to be a Superhero? What events have occured during his background? The character does not live in a vacuum. Fill in the details of his in-costume and out of costume life, and disadvantage ideas typically abound.

• 3 weeks later...

Character details.

Background:

Jaccob “Power Line” Sparks was raised in a city orphanage after his mother died during childbirth. He spent his entire childhood in that orphanage due to the fact he had little control over his electric powers. Every time a couple would come to see him He would get overexcited and discharge a large amount of electricity and scare them away.

Jaccob now runs his own small electrician business and has learned to control his powers better however he still cannot fully control the direction of his electrical projections.

Appearance:

As Power Line

Blonde Hair, Glowing Yellow Eyes, Blue hero suit that highlights yellow in light, Outfit is sleeveless and has fingerless gloves, Outfit includes belt holding whips and small sholderpads with three thin circular lights that glow before he uses his Electrical burst or specifically when charged.

As Jaccob Sparks

Dark brown hair, Brown eyes, Clothing varies daily except when working. He wears the company clothes to jobs, Shirtsleeve collared shirt, black belt, blue jeans, and brown boots.

was raised in a city orphanage after his mother died during childbirth.

Suggestions:

Distinctive Features: registers as a mutant

Distincitve Features: unusual electrical signature

Psych Limitation: Wants to know who his father is

Psych Limitation: Distrustful

Psych Limitation: Sense of duty to orphans and other disadvantged kids

Hunted: Watched by his real father who also has powers?

Hunted: Watched by secret masters behind orphanage?

He would get overexcited and discharge a large amount of electricity and scare them away.

Distinctive Feature: Shoots out sparks when he gets emotional.

Accidental Transformation: Damage Shield turns on or Physical Limitation: excessive residual static electricity

now runs his own small electrician business

DNPC: employee(s), unaware of secret ID

Appearance:

As Power Line

Blonde Hair, Glowing Yellow Eyes, Blue hero suit that highlights yellow in light, Outfit is sleeveless and has fingerless gloves, Outfit includes belt holding whips and small sholderpads with three thin circular lights that glow before he uses his Electrical burst or specifically when charged.

Distinctive Feature: Costume

As Jaccob Sparks

Dark brown hair, Brown eyes, Clothing varies daily except when working. He wears the company clothes to jobs, Shirtsleeve collared shirt, black belt, blue jeans, and brown boots.

Social Limitation: Secret ID

Re: I could use a little help

For a Pic of my Character in costume go to this site http://www.ugo.com/channels/comics/heroMachine2/heromachine2.asp and put in this code in load.

2.5b5*m1*Power Line*Hair:Expansion1,swoop1,FFFF00,5A3410,100,100,24,Eyebrows:Standard,fraBlank,FFFFFF,FFFFFF,100,100,21,Eyes:Standard,blank1,FFFF00,848484,100,100,20,Nose:Standard,slash,FFD08C,FFD08C,100,100,22,Mouth:Standard,closedsmile,FFD08C,F8B684,100,100,18,Beard:Standard,fraBlank,FFFFFF,FFFFFF,100,100,27,Ears:Standard,fraBlank,FFFFFF,FFFFFF,100,100,19,Skin:Expansion1,fraBlank,FFD08C,FFD08C,100,100,6,Mask:Standard,notop,FFFF00,0000FF,100,100,23,Headgear:Masks1,fraBlank,FFFFFF,FFFFFF,100,100,29,Undershirt:Standard,tank,FFFF00,0000FF,100,100,7,Overshirt:Standard,fraBlank,FFFF00,0000FF,100,100,8,Coat:Expansion1,fraBlank,FFFFFF,FFFFFF,100,100,26,RightGlove:Expansion1,nofingers,FFFF00,0000FF,100,100,17,LeftGlove:Expansion1,nofingers,FFFF00,0000FF,100,100,16,Insignia:Expansion1,fraBlank,FFFFFF,FFFFFF,100,100,9,Neckwear:Shoulders,torc,0000FF,FFF700,100,100,25,Belt:Standard,powerdisks,FFFF00,0000FF,100,100,15,Leggings:Standard,long,FFFF00,0000FF,100,100,10,Overleggings:Expansion1,fraBlank,0000FF,FFFF00,100,100,11,Pants:Expansion1,fraBlank,FFFFFF,FFFFFF,100,100,14,RightFoot:Standard,buckles,FFFF00,0000FF,100,100,13,LeftFoot:Standard,buckles,FFFF00,0000FF,100,100,12,Back:Expansion1,fraBlank,FFFFFF,FFFFFF,100,100,3,Wings:Expansion1,fraBlank,FFFFFF,FFFFFF,100,100,4,Tail:Expansion1,fraBlank,FFFFFF,FFFFFF,100,100,5,Aura:Standard,lightning,0000FF,FFFF00,100,100,2,Companion:Expansion1,fraBlank,FFFFFF,FFFFFF,100,100,31,Background:Photos,antlers,FFFFFF,FFFFFF,100,100,1,RightHand:Energy,lightning,FFFF00,0000FF,100,100,30,LeftHand:Energy,fraBlank,FFFF00,0000FF,100,100,28,#

http://www.ugo.com/channels/comics/heroMachine2/heromachine2.asp

Load code for costume

2.5b5*m1*Power Line*Hair:Expansion1,swoop1,FFFF00,5A3410,100,100,24,Eyebrows:Standard,fraBlank,FFFFFF,FFFFFF,100,100,21,Eyes:Standard,blank1,FFFF00,848484,100,100,20,Nose:Standard,slash,FFD08C,FFD08C,100,100,22,Mouth:Standard,closedsmile,FFD08C,F8B684,100,100,18,Beard:Standard,fraBlank,FFFFFF,FFFFFF,100,100,27,Ears:Standard,fraBlank,FFFFFF,FFFFFF,100,100,19,Skin:Expansion1,fraBlank,FFD08C,FFD08C,100,100,6,Mask:Standard,notop,FFFF00,0000FF,100,100,23,Headgear:Masks1,fraBlank,FFFFFF,FFFFFF,100,100,29,Undershirt:Standard,tank,FFFF00,0000FF,100,100,7,Overshirt:Standard,fraBlank,FFFF00,0000FF,100,100,8,Coat:Expansion1,fraBlank,FFFFFF,FFFFFF,100,100,26,RightGlove:Expansion1,nofingers,FFFF00,0000FF,100,100,17,LeftGlove:Expansion1,nofingers,FFFF00,0000FF,100,100,16,Insignia:Expansion1,fraBlank,FFFFFF,FFFFFF,100,100,9,Neckwear:Shoulders,torc,0000FF,FFF700,100,100,25,Belt:Standard,powerdisks,FFFF00,0000FF,100,100,15,Leggings:Standard,long,FFFF00,0000FF,100,100,10,Overleggings:Expansion1,fraBlank,0000FF,FFFF00,100,100,11,Pants:Expansion1,fraBlank,FFFFFF,FFFFFF,100,100,14,RightFoot:Standard,buckles,FFFF00,0000FF,100,100,13,LeftFoot:Standard,buckles,FFFF00,0000FF,100,100,12,Back:Expansion1,fraBlank,FFFFFF,FFFFFF,100,100,3,Wings:Expansion1,fraBlank,FFFFFF,FFFFFF,100,100,4,Tail:Expansion1,fraBlank,FFFFFF,FFFFFF,100,100,5,Aura:Standard,lightning,0000FF,FFFF00,100,100,2,Companion:Expansion1,fraBlank,FFFFFF,FFFFFF,100,100,31,Background:Photos,fraBlank,FFFFFF,FFFFFF,100,100,1,RightHand:Energy,lightning,FFFF00,0000FF,100,100,30,LeftHand:Energy,fraBlank,FFFF00,0000FF,100,100,28,#

Well, that is all in the book. You can also buy HeroDesigner v3 (HDv3) which'll do most of it for you; just pick the powers, the lims, and so on. Those of us who went without HDv3 for a year, however, learned an invaluable lesson:

The math ain't that hard, and it's generally good mental exercise anyway.

If you want about a half dozen write ups (or short hand versions) just say "I wanna do this" and six different people will give you, at minimum, 3 different answers (with the three others alternately agreeing or critiquing other builds). ;)

And when I say shorthand, FREX, look at my sig. I know it's right because Steve built it, but if I were to 'shorthand' it for you:

"HtH 10d6, Pen, OIF plus HtH 6d6, Pen, OIF, Only vs. Avowed Enemies (-1)."

You can then take that and using the rules, functionally reconstruct my HICCoS, knowing off the top that since it's built as HtH and not HKA, it'll pick up the limitation "HtH (-1/2)." The only 'spelled out' limitation is "Only vs. The Avowed Enemies of Thia Halmades, (-1)" because it isn't in the text. Follow?

You know one of the things that bugs me about some of the publish Hero books is the seeming lack of disadvantages. I know I struggle to get all the points needed for a character or an NPC, but most characters in the book have too few disad and too much experience/villain bonus.

For example in VVV

Ape Plus 496 point total-195 points from XP

Mr. Zombie 345 total-83 points XP (he's not even a 350 point character)

Dreadnaut 511 total-211 points XP (That covers his powers and his skills as well):confused:

Red Bullet 595 total-305 XP

What I'm is could the authors not come up with some more disads???:confused::confused:

Well this game has me learning a lot of new tricks. My Character "Power Line" is still being developed' date=' and I still need more help.[/quote']

Help with what, exactly? "I need help" is sort of open. Do you need powers? Disads? To install a sink in your kitchen? What, precisely, are you stuck on?

Well, do a rough draft and post it; you'll get more opinions than you can shake a stick at. ;) Don't worry about it being wrong; go through the rules, and start patching it together. Think in terms of how you want the character to act (a good source of disads) and the proscribed power levels for the game (AP caps, total points available, and so on). Post rules questions as they come up. :)