autofire "penalties"

dstarfire

I've seen this misconception a LOT here on the boards, and even in my group a few times: that the autofire mechanic for successive hits is a penalty.

Actually, it's nothing of the sort. If ya read the description carefully you'll notice that it's more a level of success type thing. I don't know of ANY advantage that causes a penalty for using it.

It's very similar to the 'level of effect' mechanic used for mental powers, except you don't have to declare the target level before hand, just how many shots you're attempting.

Have any GM's out there ever allowed psl's for autofire? and if so; how did it work out, balance-wise?

Re: autofire "penalties"

I've seen this misconception a LOT here on the boards, and even in my group a few times: that the autofire mechanic for successive hits is a penalty.

Actually, it's nothing of the sort. If ya read the description carefully you'll notice that it's more a level of success type thing. I don't know of ANY advantage that causes a penalty for using it.

It's very similar to the 'level of effect' mechanic used for mental powers, except you don't have to declare the target level before hand, just how many shots you're attempting.

Have any GM's out there ever allowed psl's for autofire? and if so; how did it work out, balance-wise?

Emphasis mine. I do - damage shield, for instance, which removes range and prevents the base power being used as a direct attack, and it is not the only one. Moreover several 'limtiations' give substantial advantages - like being able to hand your focus to someone else to use.

I'd require CSLs, not PSLs

Emphasis mine. I do - damage shield, for instance, which removes range and prevents the base power being used as a direct attack, and it is not the only one. Moreover several 'limtiations' give substantial advantages - like being able to hand your focus to someone else to use.

I'd require CSLs, not PSLs

I agree with Sean here on both counts; one of my major "corrections" to the system involve making Damage Shield its own power, in either Normal or Killing flavors, and removing all the chaotic mess that surrounds it. But yeah, you can buy 2pt CSLs, "Only with AK-47" and be done, and they'll always add to your OCV, and thus improve the total number of rounds you land with autofire.

I agree with Sean here on both counts; one of my major "corrections" to the system involve making Damage Shield its own power' date=' in either Normal or Killing flavors, and removing all the chaotic mess that surrounds it. But yeah, you can buy 2pt CSLs, "Only with AK-47" and be done, and they'll always add to your OCV, and thus improve the total number of rounds you land with autofire.[/quote']

Thread hijack incoming!

My original reaction to Damage Shield was precisely that... "Hrm, this should be a power, not an Advantage!". Then I noticed I'd be missing out on some interesting Damage Shields... Entangle Damage Shield, Ego Attack Damage Shield (my mind's so chaotic, anybody who gets in there gets stunned!), DEX Drain Damage Shield (I'm surrounded by an electrical current which shocks you and makes you lose control of your nervous system if you touch me), etc...

How did you deal with that?

Thread hijack incoming!

My original reaction to Damage Shield was precisely that... "Hrm, this should be a power, not an Advantage!". Then I noticed I'd be missing out on some interesting Damage Shields... Entangle Damage Shield, Ego Attack Damage Shield (my mind's so chaotic, anybody who gets in there gets stunned!), DEX Drain Damage Shield (I'm surrounded by an electrical current which shocks you and makes you lose control of your nervous system if you touch me), etc...

How did you deal with that?

Here's how I'd deal with it:

Damage shield +1/2

Can only be applied to a power that is already constant inherently or through the application of the 'continuous' advantage. Creates a damage shield (as the book). You can take the 'no range' limitation if you like. You can still attack normally with the power, but if you attack whilst maintaining the DS, you have to pay the END twice, as if you had two seperate attacks running simultaneously.

That was DS adds but does not take away. If you want to take away, you get the appropriate limtiation cost break.

Yeah, ultimately it's likely going to end with the same cost....+X w/ Ranged 5 each...Only for OCV, Only to cancel to hit penaltys with autofire...what else? I'm thinking if the cost comes out the same why worry what you call it....a rose by anyother name, yadda yadda.....

If I call "Only for OCV" -1/2 and "Only to cancel to hit penaltys" -1 (might well be more...) thats -11/2 of lims for 2 pts a level if I call the "Only to..." -11/2 to -2 I get a value of 11/2 pts to 1 pt each....and thats well into the PSL range of cost......

That is what the Autofire skills are for. Precise II changes it so that you get one shot in for every 1 you hit the target by (instead of 1 for every 2). Deadly allows you to add 1 DC for each shot that hits instead of rolling all the damage/locations separately. Each is 5 points and you can stack them all together if you have them all in one attack.

I wouldn't allow for PSLs to be applied as there is no Penalty being applied to the roll to do autofire.

That is what the Autofire skills are for. Precise II changes it so that you get one shot in for every 1 you hit the target by (instead of 1 for every 2). Deadly allows you to add 1 DC for each shot that hits instead of rolling all the damage/locations separately. Each is 5 points and you can stack them all together if you have them all in one attack.

I wouldn't allow for PSLs to be applied as there is no Penalty being applied to the roll to do autofire.

Valid points...but I just don't subscribe to the "One right way" model for hero...instead there are many correct ways to do things.....all valid all correct, and (hopefully) all COOL!

But I'm not gonna yell "Heritic!" if I see someone useing PSL's for this....I'll just see them as a differant build that is Labeled as PSL's....

Those skills are in Dark Champions, I'm assuming? Can't find them in 5er and don't have DC handy.

In any case, Deadly doesn't do what I want, does it? The character can control recoil and aiming so well that all five Autofire shots will always hit or miss - but he's no better of a shot with Autofire than with a single-shot weapon.

In any case, I could buy five-point CSLs, Only To Help Additional Autofire Shots Hit (-1/2 or -3/4, depending). It's almost the same thing.

And I agreee that, technically, there is no penalty... but it sure plays out the same! So instead of using the above construct, I allow PSLs as a house rule, even though it's against the RAW.

Valid points...but I just don't subscribe to the "One right way" model for hero...instead there are many correct ways to do things.....all valid all correct, and (hopefully) all COOL!

But I'm not gonna yell "Heritic!" if I see someone useing PSL's for this....I'll just see them as a differant build that is Labeled as PSL's....

HERETIC!!!

What? He started it...