Normal Leather vs Studded Leather armor.

Herolover

Lorica segmentata (or the Loricus Segmentum, if you want to be picky) is what is generally referred to as articulated plate.

After all "plate" armour normally had the abdomen composed of several segments too - otherwise your torso was entirely immobilised.

Likewise, although people think of the classic heavy infantryman's armour from the Hadrianic period as "lorica segmentata" (because Hadrian left us a lot of carvings showing it) writers used the plural "Lorica segmentata" for a reason - this name covered different types of armour, some of which were in fact solid breastplates of the type which survived the Camillian reforms, others of which appear to be what we would call Lamellar or Scale today. It just means "armour made from individual pieces" and was probbaly found in a thousand different variants.

While the Romans were very precise in their language for things they really cared about (How many other languages have a word for "killed every tenth person"?) they appear to have given liitle though to the needs of 20th-21st century gamers for concise terminology :)

There's no reference or meaning of welding, anywhere - the classic lorica segmentata appears to have been held together with leather straps and little metal hooks and eyes: much like 15th century plate armour.

cheers, Mark

Originally posted by Vanguard00

Good call. As an aside, I would think it would be a little more to repair studded leather as it's slightly more "intricate" (in the loosest sense of the word) than it's "plain" counterpart.

Personally, I don't allow studded leather in my games. No historical reasons or even compelling logic for including it :)

Just my too sense...

I am also considering taking your stance and just getting rid of it. Would make it much easier. Have to do some more thinking....

Originally posted by Vanguard00

Good call. As an aside, I would think it would be a little more to repair studded leather as it's slightly more "intricate" (in the loosest sense of the word) than it's "plain" counterpart.

Personally, I don't allow studded leather in my games. No historical reasons or even compelling logic for including it

Just my too sense...

Historical reasons I can't give, but I would think the studs would give a little more protection from slashing and glancing attacks.

My tuppence.

Originally posted by Black Rose

Historical reasons I can't give, but I would think the studs would give a little more protection from slashing and glancing attacks.

My tuppence.

Well, yeah, I could probably come up with a good reason for leather to be studded. I just couldn't come up with a good reason to include studded leather :)

What about adding +1 DEF on a activation roll of 8- for studded variants of leather armors, for those that like it regardless of historical accuracy? After all, lots of things in the fantasy genre are not historically accurate.

...Before Martin Luther can nail his Ninety-Five Theses to the door of the Wittenberg Church and start the Reformation he is struck with a Magic Missile? Huh?

• 3 weeks later...

Studs & Rings

If we grant the existence of studded leather, then I think it should obviously give more defense than the same kind of leather without metal studs - if only for internal consistency.

Ring mail gives +2 defense over plain leather of the same type. What is ring mail? It's just leather covered with close-set metal rings. This establishes that adding metal to leather can increase its defensive value.

If, by adding enough metal, one can increase armor's defensive value by +2, then there should be some lesser level of metal enhancement that would increase the armor's defensive value by +1. I would call this studded leather, since that is the traditional terminology for armor of that defensive value in fantasy RPGs.

Originally posted by torgo

What about adding +1 DEF on a activation roll of 8- for studded variants of leather armors, for those that like it regardless of historical accuracy? After all, lots of things in the fantasy genre are not historically accurate.

If it weren't for the increased complexity, I'd say add +1 DEF, only against slashing (and other "indirect"-type) attacks. This would cover sabres, certain knifefighting styles, and the occasional rolling fall.

...Before Martin Luther can nail his Ninety-Five Theses to the door of the Wittenberg Church and start the Reformation he is struck with a Magic Missile? Huh?

Nah, nah, you misread it. In actuality, Martin Luther was struck with a Magic Missal. :D

Re: Studs & Rings

Originally posted by Roland

If we grant the existence of studded leather, then I think it should obviously give more defense than the same kind of leather without metal studs - if only for internal consistency.

Ring mail gives +2 defense over plain leather of the same type. What is ring mail? It's just leather covered with close-set metal rings. This establishes that adding metal to leather can increase its defensive value.

If, by adding enough metal, one can increase armor's defensive value by +2, then there should be some lesser level of metal enhancement that would increase the armor's defensive value by +1. I would call this studded leather, since that is the traditional terminology for armor of that defensive value in fantasy RPGs.

It would have to be pretty heavy studding; none of that two or three inch spacing you see on some illustrations (which I think is a misviewing of some kind of quilted armor). I've seen the rings they use, and they are thick and frequent. Still, if one views +1 DEF as a doubling of defensive power, it would make sense. And I really like the "add-on"-ness of it; there's something about all the layers of concept that appeals to me.