Normal Leather vs Studded Leather armor.

Herolover

Hello all.

In Fantasy Hero, the new book, leather armor is broken down into soft, heavy, and boiled. Then, you can add metal studs to each to get studded leather. However, according to the book, studded leather is equivalent in DEF provided and the BODY of the armor, as its equivalent non-studded armor.

Example: Heavy leather armor is equivalent to studded heavy leather armor. Mechanically there is no difference between the armors.

However, according to the book adding studding to armor “reinforces†it. So, how do we account for the difference between studded and non-studded armor? Do you raise the DEF? Do you raise the BODY of the armor? Do you do something else?

Here's what this boils down to: not every real-world difference is of sufficient degree to merit a difference in HERO System rules terms. I don't see the studs in studded leather as offering enough additional benefit to merit more DEF given the current granularity (or lack thereof) in the rules.

I agree. That given the range the HERO system uses DEF should probably not be increased. What about the BODY though?

If you don't increase the BODY or DEF I am wondering how different GM' roleplay the difference between studded and non-studded armor. Do you have any suggestions?

I don't have the new FH either (impatiently waiting on my order) but why not just assume studded leather is equal to the next armor up, so soft studded leather = heavy leather armor, heavy with studs = boiled and boiled with studs = brigantine (which I believe is basically boiled leather reinforced with with metal).

Or perhaps allow studs to add 1 DEF with an activation roll.

Since I haven't seen the new armor section I just guessing at this point.

It's always good to remember that in a game system, one cannot always simulate reality. Few systems bother to rate armor against bashing/slashing/piercing because it is just too obtuse in a simulation. That's the case here. If I were to value studded Leather more highly, it would be based on amount of studs covering the leather (and the plate backing). Few studs would result in little change, while many would change the definition of the leather to Brigandine.

Umm, outside fantasy movies and BDSM, was there ever anything like "studded" leather? I have never seen a contemporary reference to such a beast, nor a real piece of such armour - athough it must be admitted leather armour is not that easy to find.

A brigandine is certainly nothing to do with studded leather - it's essentially a coat of metal plates held in place with either soft leather, cloth, or (in some middle eastern/asian cultures) light mail.

I agree with Stevel - adding studs to leather is just a fashion statement. It shouldn't do anything to the DEF.

cheers, Mark

Well actually the best answer I have for historical use is that pirates being unable to wear heavy armor but needing something more than"just Leathor" started adding studs to the leathor in places more vulneralbe than others (kidney belts and other places likely to get stabbed in the back). essentially it was one way to have _some_ of the protection of metal armor while at sea and still able to occasionally stop a nasty knife thrust.

best bet mechanics wise?

SFX for Combat Luck

best bet # 2

1-6 Armor (6 would be hitting massive location of studs dead on with the weapon 1 would be a glancing blow in a lightly studded area.) separate activation roll from the to hit location mods.

As the original poster of this thread I thought I should chime in and tell you what I have decided to do.

When I first noticed this (what I thought might be a problem) I initially thought of increasing the DEF, but was not happy with that idea.

I then thought of increasing the BODY of the armor, but wasn't sure on that either.

In the end I have decided that it is an RP thing. Studded Leather, due to the reinforcment offered by the studs, will not require as much money to repair and will not ruin as quickkly as normal leather.

Originally posted by Markdoc

Umm, outside fantasy movies and BDSM, was there ever anything like "studded" leather? I have never seen a contemporary reference to such a beast, nor a real piece of such armour - athough it must be admitted leather armour is not that easy to find.

I can't believe this! You seem to be right as I cannot locate anything on the web about this being in period. Dang, and I always thought it was. The closest I can find isn't really 'studded' but rings sewn onto the outside of the padded shirt. Something I also term lovingly as "Washer Armor". ;)

>>> I can't believe this! You seem to be right <<<

But of course! ;)

Seriously though, I think the whole thing started with overenthusiastic Victorian amateur historians who tried to define different styles of armour based on contemporary illustrations. They gave us "banded mail", "mascled mail" (I've always wanted to ask a GM if I could buy mascled mail), threaded mail and... studded mail or studded armour.

This despite the fact that historically there only seem to have been 4 kinds of armour - mail, splint/lamellar, articulated plate and leather/cloth - and that medieval artists were not famous for their adherence to accurate depiction ("Is that a horse he's riding? It looks more like a daschund." "No, I think it's a big weasel with pointy ears - or maybe a gaint marmot" "Don't be an idiot - they didn't have marmots in medieval Germany")

When Gygax came along, he wanted multiple armour types, so studded leather and banded mail entered the general vocabulary along with useful words like Glaive-Guisarme.

cheers, Mark

Armor names

The thing that get's me is the over abundance use of the word "mail". To my historical searching, there is only one type of mail - chain mail. All other type of armor should be just the name - scale, plate, banded, ring, etc. Mail, I believe, refers to the weaving process of the metal wire to create the armor. It is more of another Gary Gygax creation to scale mail, banded mail, plate mail, ring mail and so on.

Originally posted by AnotherSkip

Isn't banded armor actually the Roman armor ....

Dagnabbit!!! i even have a friend who wears it in the SCA....

loricus?

I want to say llamanai, but that is Incan

Lorica Segmentata is one of the spelling/pronunciations of the 'standard' roman armor. There is also Loricus Sementanta and combintations of the two.

And I think banded armor is any armor where metal strips are literally banded together.

Originally posted by Herolover

In the end I have decided that it is an RP thing. Studded Leather, due to the reinforcment offered by the studs, will not require as much money to repair and will not ruin as quickkly as normal leather.

Good call. As an aside, I would think it would be a little more to repair studded leather as it's slightly more "intricate" (in the loosest sense of the word) than it's "plain" counterpart.

Personally, I don't allow studded leather in my games. No historical reasons or even compelling logic for including it :)

Just my too sense...

Originally posted by Markdoc

I can't rememeber if it was a museum recreation or a book reference but I'ver seen it - Some European prince had a suit of studded armor made for him that used over a thousand rivets. It was quite heavy and the studs closely spaced. I can see where it would provide better protection than plain leather.