Keeping a 'Random-Multiform' Random

clsage

I must admit that my HERO-Fu is weak in the area of Multiform and such so....

I am wanting to create a character who has four forms: 1 standard human, 3

superpowered. And I want him to have access to each form on a random basis.

Yes, this is much inspired by Ben 10 and Dial H For Hero. The key question

I have (as of now) is how do I stat out the disad of 'Random Access'.

My first instinct is to have the Multiform function on an activation roll, with each form

having a seperate activation roll and also having the 'Lock-out' limitation

(tho' that might be a bit redundant).

My second idea is to just build various slots in a multipower that would emulate

the multiform effect and make them all ultras with lockout....

Is there a simpler, more elegant way to accomplish this effect ? Am I, as I

am prone to do, overthinking things ?

Any suggestions on this build would be appreciated.....

(Now off to do a search and see if I can rustle up the Ben 10 character build

thread from a few months back and see what technique was used there.....)

-Carl-

Re: Keeping a 'Random-Multiform' Random

Check out the No Conscious Control Limitation on 5ER pg. 301. At the -1 level, it sounds like precisely what you want to put on your Multiform. It allows you to turn the power on and off at will (i.e. you can switch into a Multiform at will), but not control the effects of the power (i.e. you can't choose which Multiform to switch to).

Check out the No Conscious Control Limitation on 5ER pg. 301. At the -1 level' date=' it sounds like precisely what you want to put on your Multiform. It allows you to turn the power on and off at will (i.e. you can switch into a Multiform at will), but not control the effects of the power (i.e. you can't choose which Multiform to switch to).[/quote']

Hmmmm.....I hadn't considered the NCC limitation. Once I get home (I'm in the

office finishing up some paperwork at the moment) and have access to my copy of

5ER I'll have to give that a look....Thanks ! :)

-Carl-

NCC will do EXACTLY what you want' date=' but as a GM I would only let you have it at the -1/2 level I think, assuming all forms are beneficial, it just is not worth a -1 to m[/quote']

Well, given that the three forms are basically a brick (similar to The Thing), an energy projector

(similar to The Human Torch) and a speedster (lizard-like in appearance but otherwise in the mold

of The Flash) they are all pretty beneficial. Even if they all come with their own disads (eg: extra weight

for the brick, etc)......So the -1/2 seems fair.

-Carl-

NCC will do EXACTLY what you want' date=' but as a GM I would only let you have it at the -1/2 level I think, assuming all forms are beneficial, it just is not worth a -1 to m[/quote']

Your game, your rules, of course... but I disagree. Yes, all forms are beneficial, but they're either substantially different, or similar.

If they're substantially different, then not being able to choose is a significant limitation. You might be wanting the water-based superhero to fight the evil Firelord, but might get PaperCut (who has vulnerabilities to fire) instead. Or in a less extreme example, you might want the strong brick type to break down a barrier, but get the mentalist instead.

If they're similar, then the Multiform is overpriced to begin with (for example, two identical Multiforms, except one has an RKA where the other has an EB... would've been much cheaper just to buy a Multipower instead), so there's nothing wrong with shaving down some of those points. ;-)

I agree with this... mostly. Unless the forms are significantly different and each is almost situation presents a Vulnerability or other disadvantage which affects at least one of the forms, getting something is better than getting nothing. NNC at the -1 has the same value as an OAF, which is a "I have it and it works" or "I don't have it, sucks to be me" split. NCC on this Multiform is more of a "I get what I want" or "I still get something useful, just not what I asked for".

I did my Ben 10 ripoff ... er, homage ... with Requires A Skill Roll and Side Effects: Random Transformation (-0). I just use one of those polyhedral dice from 'the other game' to determine which form she goes into (and exclude the form she was actually trying for).

It occured to me later that I don't have a 'can't try again any time soon' limitation on the Multiform, but I've just been avoiding persistent retries.

For my Ben 10 writ ups, I gave Ben an Accidental Change disadvantage for whenever he uses the Omnitrix.

Sometimes he gets the form he wants (he makes the roll) and sometimes he gets something else (roll fails)

And there's what I was going to suggest, probably inspired by Bloodstone's cool Ben 10 writeups.