Soul Calibur

teh bunneh

Re: Soul Calibur

Hey. Doesn't have to be cheesy - it could just be authentic, with no cross dimensional weirdness.

Darth Vader and Yoda are the new Soul Calibre IV characters. Darth Vader for PS3 (because it's black), and Yoda for the 360 (because it's green).

Just like Spawn and Link are also part of the Soul Calibre universe.

Dude, it's canon.

I've never been that much of a video gamer, but I would occasionally hit Aladdin's Castle (the local arcade) and play Soul Caliber and Virtua Fighter with my friends. I got reasonably good with Sophitia, and that was a fun game, but I had a blast with the old Drunken Boxer in Virtua Fighter. I remember that I'd tried the Mantis style fighter, and made it through a couple rounds, then I tried the Drunken Fighter on a whim and nearly mopped up the game with him. I don't know why, but the button mashing required for his moves just worked with my random mashing style and I was actually good! :) I haven't played that in a looong time, though...

Hey. Doesn't have to be cheesy - it could just be authentic, with no cross dimensional weirdness.

Darth Vader and Yoda are the new Soul Calibre IV characters. Darth Vader for PS3 (because it's black), and Yoda for the 360 (because it's green).

Just like Spawn and Link are also part of the Soul Calibre universe.

Dude, it's canon.

Which really begs the question, would I rather play a pinball armed with a glowy green stick, or the Dark Lord of the SITH?!

I'm thinking the PS3 version FTW in this case. Besides, I prefer the PS controller series for fighting games anyway, although as SC only has three buttons (H, V, B) it's less of an issue.

Remember back when Mortal Kombat first came out, and the fighting game "purists" all cried out, "but it has a block button!"

Then a half dozen other game franchises all came out with control schemes that included a block button.

Kinda amusing in retrospect.

Well, speaking as one of those purists, it just felt really WEIRD; a lot of us lost rounds early on because we flat out weren't blocking when we thought we were; it was darn annoying. It was certainly evolutionary, though, but I never felt (in that franchise) that it added much. However, for Soul Calibur, it's freaking critical, just as the "free" button in Dead or Alive is.

My son's a big time Soul Calibur 3 fan. He has it for the PS2 and whips the snot outta me 8 times out of 10. If I make my paltry wins back to back, he gets his favorite (Mitsurugi) and cleans my clock.

We especially enjoy the "random creation" feature, especially when we get a character wearing a pope hat!

Ed