Soul Calibur

teh bunneh

So my buddy brought over his PS2 the other day and we were playing Soul Calibur. Basically a straight-up Street Fighter-type fight game with a pretty detailed and intricate backstory. As we were playing (I am button-masher supreme!!!!) we kept commenting on how this would make a cool RPG. A group of heroes combing the world for the cursed sword -- some to try to destroy it forever; others to claim it for their own.

But that's about as far as we got. Neither of us are up to starting a new game, but who knows? Maybe in the future...

Re: Soul Calibur

Please. Bill. For the sake of my sanity.

Never compare Soul Calibur to Street Fighter. Pretty, pretty please. :D I don't have much SAN left, and I'd like to preserve it. Yes, it would make a decent setting; the characters can be written anywhere from "Martial Artists" to "Super Powered Martial Artists" depending on style and preference. Odds are each "weapon" would be written as a Power set, not just WF: Crazy Multi Part Whip Thingy.

But it could certainly be done.

Please. Bill. For the sake of my sanity. Never compare Soul Calibur to Street Fighter. Pretty' date=' pretty please. :D I don't have much SAN left, and I'd like to preserve it. [/quote']

Hee hee hee. Yeah, one of my friends says, "There's two types of people in the world. Those who like Street Fighter, and those who like Mortal Kombat." I'm a Mortal Kombat guy, myself. ;)

Yes, it would make a decent setting; the characters can be written anywhere from "Martial Artists" to "Super Powered Martial Artists" depending on style and preference. Odds are each "weapon" would be written as a Power set, not just WF: Crazy Multi Part Whip Thingy.

Oh yeah. You'd almost have to build their fighting styles and weapons as powers instead of just martial arts.

I'm totally crushing on Ivy. That b*tch is teh cheat. :love:

Hee hee hee. Yeah' date=' one of my friends says, "There's two types of people in the world. Those who like [i']Street Fighter[/i], and those who like Mortal Kombat." I'm a Mortal Kombat guy, myself. ;)

Oh yeah. You'd almost have to build their fighting styles and weapons as powers instead of just martial arts.

I'm totally crushing on Ivy. That b*tch is teh cheat. :love:

Broken (n.); 1. A device which no longer functions as intended, i.e., "The toaster is broken."

Broken (adj.); 1. Ivy, i.e., "That b*tch is totally broken." 2. Anyone who can use the buffer mechanic to execute her 9 step grab seemingly at will by entering commands in between the split-seconds of animation, i.e., "My friend Jason is so broken that fighting him while using Ivy is an exercise in controller breaking futility."

I really, really hated fighting him with her. Gah. As it happens, SC IV is on schedule and will also likely be online compliant. So now, the stage of history will truly be world-wide.

Broken (n.); 1. A device which no longer functions as intended' date=' [i']i.e.[/i], "The toaster is broken."

Broken (adj.); 1. Ivy, i.e., "That b*tch is totally broken." 2. Anyone who can use the buffer mechanic to execute her 9 step grab seemingly at will by entering commands in between the split-seconds of animation, i.e., "My friend Jason is so broken that fighting him while using Ivy is an exercise in controller breaking futility."

I really, really hated fighting him with her. Gah. As it happens, SC IV is on schedule and will also likely be online compliant. So now, the stage of history will truly be world-wide.

I confoozd. You hate fighting against Ivy, or you hate playing her?

I agree that she's pretty broken. She's fast, she's got hella reach, she's got a buttload of sneak attacks, and her basic grab has the added effect of stunning her opponent. But her moves are extraordinarily complex to carry out, she actually doesn't do much damage, and her block maneuver is "meh" at best. I don't think the negs outweigh the positives, though. She's definitely t3h_ch34t. Must be why I like her. :eg:

What platform is SCIV gonna be on? I have zero interest in online play, myself.

So my buddy brought over his PS2 the other day and we were playing Soul Calibur. Basically a straight-up Street Fighter-type fight game with a pretty detailed and intricate backstory. As we were playing (I am button-masher supreme!!!!) we kept commenting on how this would make a cool RPG. A group of heroes combing the world for the cursed sword -- some to try to destroy it forever; others to claim it for their own.

But that's about as far as we got. Neither of us are up to starting a new game, but who knows? Maybe in the future...

I call Cervantes! (of course I haven't played since the first Soul Caliber...)

My friend used to be Siegfried with his over-phallic sword and I would drive him insane by using Cervantes' double-sword button-mash moves that I had no idea how to repeat. Good times... good times... good rpg? I'll let the jury decide.

I enjoy playing Ivy, but I'm nowhere near as good as Jason is. If you look in her move list for her grabs, you'll see there's a... what, 9 button combination. You know the one I mean -- it lifts you into the air and proceeds to eviscerate you as all the different pieces of her chain sword slash through you. That one?

Okay. What Jason can do is enter the commands for it while doing other moves, and thusly he's whupping up on you, and then, when you think you'll get a chance to breathe, you're airborne and she's laughing at you. This is a recipe for an element we call "Anti-Fun." So I enjoy using her, because she does have: Decent Speed, Strong Reach, Decent Power, Below Average Defense (no counters really) but I hated playing against her because Jason just used H1gh c43@+3ry. It was the most humiliating series of defeats I ever suffered.

For my part, I tend to play Nightmare (formerly Seigfried), Mitsurugi and ... the little Korean girl with the Halberd, who's name will come to me later. SC IV is slated for both the 360 and the PS3 at the moment, IIRC.

As far as a good RPG, you can go so many directions with it that it almost doesn't matter. You can do any of the following:

A small group of warriors looking to test their mettle against the finest in the land, as they get into adventures and each, for their own reasons, search for the Soul Edge.

A group who are already at "Game Level," possessed of incredible power, fighting incredibly powerful foes, both classic (other superb Martial Artists) and infernal (hey, it has the souls of demons in it, what do you want?)

A pre-history campaign, where the players are involved in the events that create Soul Calibur, and...

A post-revisionist campaign, after any number of times the blade is destroyed, but inevitably resurfaces... and then you treat it like your fantasy setting/renaissance setting of your choice.

I'd go very Samurai Champloo with it, myself.

I enjoy playing Ivy' date=' but I'm nowhere near as good as Jason is. If you look in her move list for her grabs, you'll see there's a... what, 9 button combination. You know the one I mean -- it lifts you into the air and proceeds to eviscerate you as all the different pieces of her chain sword slash through you. That one?[/quote']

Oh yeah, I know the one you mean. Believe it or not, that one is surprisingly easy to do. It looks hideously complicated on paper and there's no way to do it in practice mode, but in a real fight I can pull it off pretty regularly. My bu++0n m@$41ng sk1llz @r3 l33t!

It doesn't do a ton of damage, though, unless you're powered up or unless you can combine it with a whip-drill and some decent legsweeps afterwards; keep your foe on his back where he belongs! :eg:

I drive my buddy crazy because I play Ivy. That's it. He cycles between characters. I suspect that if he chose one and stuck with it he'd figure out the moves pretty quick and then kick my cottontail.

For my part, I tend to play Nightmare (formerly Seigfried), Mitsurugi and ... the little Korean girl with the Halberd, who's name will come to me later. SC IV is slated for both the 360 and the PS3 at the moment, IIRC.

Song Mina, IIRC. I hates me some Nightmare. Mitsurugi is sweet, though. You know who I hate fighting against? Taki. B***h is fast.

Seung Mina' date=' IIRC. I hates me some Nightmare. Mitsurugi is sweet, though. You know who I hate fighting against? Taki. B***h is [i']fast[/i].

Fixed your typo; and yes, Taki is blistering fast, but only while attacking, and she doesn't chain well. Faster than her? Li Long and/or any of the nunchucku wielding offshoots thereof. All crazy, CRAZY fast. I got very good with Taki. Nothin' says lovin' like the Trampoline Throw. Or her basic knife-in-the-throat maneuver. More than fast, she's maneuverable. She can get wherever she wants to go in comparatively short order. So long as she stays in, she forces her opponent to block. She runs predominantly high attacks, though, so you need to change up to fully utilize her.

That's one of the reasons Seung Mina appeals to me; her "Meteor Shower" (a button mashy dream) slices down & through; hits both standing & crouching targets, and there are many ways to finish it (leg sweep, full swing arc, butt of the staff, and so on). She's a great "middle of the road" character. She edges towards power and versatility, as opposed to raw speed, which is more my style.

Oh, and I should point out that the one time I beat Jason with his Ivy cheatery?

Nightmare.

He was actually getting angry with me because he kept having to stage these amazing, last minute comebacks. It was amazing. Had I kept pressing I may have started racking up wins, but losing 1-12 had taken its toll finally. But I stayed calm and learned, and got obnoxiously good with him. Yes, if you take one character "all the way," you'll be able to put up a fight against most people. Some characters are much easier to learn (Taki, Raphael) than others (Ivy, Mitsurugi, Sigfried). And some I just can't use; the big bruisers are beyond me. Nightmare is as "big" as I'll go, because he has absurd power & reach; Ivy pwns him at range, though, which makes that fight difficult. I had to remember all of my faster, inside combos, but sure enough, Ivy is weak once you step inside that ridiculous sword thingy.

I'm a Kilik fanatic myself. And the girl with the sword and shield I kinda like, too.

Original SC on the Dreamcast was the shiznit. A near perfect console fighting game, in terms of state of the art graphics, fun game play, and tons of extras.

SC, Virtua Fighter and Dead or Alive are my faves, I also use to love World Heroes, Art of fighting, and a couple others. The SF series is okay, and I find most MK games to be tolerable. Never really got into Tekken.

Tekken is the nuts straight; played by two competent to above-competent people I don't know that there's a more "pure" fighting experience, except possibly in Virtua Fighter 5, which I've played online and learned... I need a lot more practice. :ugly: Not nearly as l33t as I thought I was. That, or I just kept playing people who spent way more time at it than I did, as I hadn't picked it up in years. ANYway.

I gave up on MK after MK II. My favorites in no order at all are:

Street Fighter II; Alpha & its derivatives, but I think... Alpha 3 was my favorite of THOSE.

Virtua Fighter II, IV & V (III had wonky elevation issues)

Tekken III (I still have fond memories of that game)

Bloody Roar, as a series taken collectively, is horribly unbalanced but fun all day.

Soul Blade/Calibur II (not a fan of III, IV isn't out yet)

Dead or Alive, and very bouncy! Fun game, some depth, CPU is broken.

*racks brain*

Not coming up with anything else ATM.

Also a Soul Calibur fan. Used to play Soul Edge in the arcade years ago, then got a DreamCast to play SC2, skipped 3, but when I got my PS3 the first game I bought was the PS2 SC3. I'm eagerly awaiting SC4 and dreading whether they messed it up or not. :D

And thats a sentence that is fairly incomprehensible to someone that doesnt already know what Im talking about.

Anyway, to do a Soul Calibur style HERO Fantasy campaign is very possible. In fact, I specifically reference Soul Calibur on my "Super Fantasy Paradigm" document as an example:

Super Fantasy Paradigm

Oh, and I should point out that the one time I beat Jason with his Ivy cheatery?

Nightmare.

Hate hate hate Nightmare. Dude hits like a freight train. Nearly as strong as Asteroth and hella faster. Nasty reach, great defense. I can beat Asteroth in my sleep, but Nightmare? Hates him, my precious, hates him we do. :)

I'm a Kilik fanatic myself. And the girl with the sword and shield I kinda like' date=' too. [/quote']

Kilik, like Ivy, is total cheat. Fast, good range with his hittin' stick, strong, good combo moves. Girl with the sword and shield is Sophitia, or Cassandra her baby sister in SCII. If I didn't play Ivy, I'd totally play her. Quick, good defense, and some killer grab/throw maneuvers. Not much range and she's pretty weak, but still looks like fun.

Anyway' date=' to do a Soul Calibur style HERO Fantasy campaign is very possible. In fact, I specifically reference Soul Calibur on my "Super Fantasy Paradigm" document as an example:[/quote']

Yup. Super-high fantasy, especially with those killer combo moves most characters have. :nod:

I was thinking a little bit about their "Stage of History" thing where you go on missions to collect gold. Little bits of story like, "You're walking along the Silk Road when suddenly, bandits attack! Defeat all 10 bandits before you can continue." or whatever.

OK, that's not really much story... but it really seemed so evocative to me. Going on a quest, defeating all the challenges, meeting others who are also seeking the Soul Edge, finding out your weapon is cursed with the touch of the evil sword... In the right hands, it could be a heck of a cool game.

Hey, has anyone heard about Soul Calibur for the Wii? I heard it's more of an adventure game than a fight game. Is it any good? Good gameplay? Decent graphics? Good story?

Stuff like the bandit attack is just a videogame-ization of the hoary "Random Encounter".

What makes it interesting for a fighting game is that it's melee weapon based rather than primarily barehanded, in contrast to other similar fighters. It also has very extensive maneuver lists and the controls are pretty intuitive and flow well, and its not a side scroller. Most of the characters are interesting and there is some degree of balance, though some characters do seem a little more or less uber (the earlier versions that saw more arcade play are less guilty of this than later console only versions).

From a RPG perspective the premise is extensible into a fully fleshed setting / campaign(s) with no special effort required. Its really just a classic / basic "justification for people to fight each other" premise. Nothing particularly unique or challenging about its design.

It's almost a pity the video game never bothered with team play. Or a mode with four controllers, four players, last man, woman or unholy thing standing takes all. That would probably have broken the interface, though.

As an RPG setting, I imagine the setting depends on the character interrelationships as much as the fighting. Some characters might for alliances or relationships with each other, yet only one can challenge for Soul Edge. It's kind of hard to get a feel for the personalities, but I imagine Ivy is probably bat-**** crazy while Talim is a reluctant warrior at best and Taki is a to-the-point, do-the-job woman.

It's almost a pity the video game never bothered with team play. Or a mode with four controllers' date=' four players, last man, woman or unholy thing standing takes all. That would probably have broken the interface, though.[/quote']

That's why I'm curious about the Wii version. From what I've seen, it allows team play (two players at least). More adventure game (maybe like Gauntlet Legends?) than fight game.

As an RPG setting, I imagine the setting depends on the character interrelationships as much as the fighting. Some characters might for alliances or relationships with each other, yet only one can challenge for Soul Edge. It's kind of hard to get a feel for the personalities, but I imagine Ivy is probably bat-**** crazy while Talim is a reluctant warrior at best and Taki is a to-the-point, do-the-job woman.

I was looking up some of the chars on Wiki (I'm not obsessed or anything!). It looks like there's a lot of backstory and interplay that you don't really get to see in the fight game. I wonder if all that backstory is revealed in unlockable snippets/movies/cut scenes, or if it's just Internet fanwanking?

I think your personality assessments are probably pretty accurate.

It's almost a pity the video game never bothered with team play. Or a mode with four controllers, four players, last man, woman or unholy thing standing takes all. That would probably have broken the interface, though.

I think that in a game like Soul Calibur, built on the Street Fighter model, everything is intentionally balanced for one on one single combat; anything else is apocryphal, the system just isn't built to handle it. I think you're right, and that a great MMO weapons fighter would be awesome, but unless you're staring directly at your opponent, you're unlikely to have your combos go off correctly.

Have you played either of the X-Men Legends or Marvel: Ultimate Alliance? Those are decent examples of what a game like that might look like. i believe that Def Jam allowed for four way fights, which was all kinds of chaos. Fun game, but not a good one.

bill -- there is a good deal of storyline revealed in the booklet, the start scenes of individual fights, the final battle cuts, and strewn throughout the storyline game, but the amount of and which type varies across the different versions. Its also disjointed, hard to follow, and sometimes amusingly translated. There is also an official storyline that is tendered by NAMCO as to who ultimately succeeded from each version. There is also a fair amount of "fanwanking" as you refer to it, though some of it is just people trying to fill in the blanks and not too outre.