Best and worst jobs for Superheroes

Pental

Re: Best and worst jobs for Superheroes

So most heroes have secret ID's...and a lot of heroes have day jobs.

So the big question is, what are the best and worst jobs for heroes to have?

I think Peter Parker has an ideal job for a superhero; any job that involves you being out in public and out from under the boss's watchful eye would probably be good.

Worst job would probably be 'McDonald's drive thru operator'.

Any more? :)

Gronds Manicurist

Dr Destroyers shrink

Working for the IRS

I would think that the absolute perfect job for a superhero would be the writer/artist who writes and draws his own comic-book adventures--

THE EDITOR: "Great job on these Thunder Man pages, Robbie! We've got another best-selling issue for sure!"

ROBBIE: "Thanks, Chief!"

THE EDITOR: "I love these action scenes! It feels like I'm right there in the middle of the action! Reading these, I could actually believe YOU were Thunder Man!"

ROBBIE: "HA HA HA HA HA! That's a good one, Chief! But we both know I couldn't possibly be Thunder Man!"

(Broad Wink At The Audience)

My current Champions character, Phidippus, is a comic book artist and writer in his secret I.D. Of course, he's not so narcissistic as to write about himself - but he does work on comics about heroes he's actually met, which helps immensely!

In a previous campaign, the worst job for anyone was a PRIMUS employee. Those guys had the life expectancy of small insects hovering over a trout stream at sunset. Typical encounter would start with Bad Guy of the Week doing something, PRIMUS and heroes arriving, PRIMUS agents dieing, and then real combat could begin.

Back to topic

Other good jobs might be motivational speaker/paid lecturer. If you are famous enough, you only need to do 4-6 lectures or speeches per year to maintain a comfortable lifestyle.

The best job for a superhero? Ambassador. It makes you immune to local law enforcement, gives you access to some information resources, and you probably won't be expelled as long as you stay reasonably popular with the locals. And you can make your own hours. Most of the real work is done by your flunkies anyway.

The qualities you're looking for are:

1. Lack of supervision. Any job can be great, so long as you don't have anyone hassling you about getting that TPS report in on time, or informing you that you've already used up all your sick days, or wondering why they never see you around when the Insidious Turtle-Man wrecks the city. Freelancing is popular for this; if one employer isn't convenient for you, find someplace else that needs your services. Working from home is perfect; creative writers or artists, for example, often have pretty much no supervision and need only hand in some material now and then. Not everyone can be a superstar, though; unless you're particularly well-known in your field, making ends meet without spending a lot of your free time working can still be hard... and fame brings its own kind of attention. Wage laborers might often have significant supervision while on shift, but if they go missing for a week while they secretly battle the Slime Spiders of Kraal in another dimension, no one goes looking.

2. Similar goals. Reporters have an excuse to be present at disasters and attacks; so do cops, firemen, paramedics, and insurance claim adjusters. On the flip side, this gives you conflicting interests when it hits the fan; you want to grab your cape and start blasting bad guys, but the other emergency workers are going to be unfairly shorthanded if you abandon your post in the middle of a deadly situation. They'll probably notice your absence, too, and perhaps fire you... or even bring legal action against you for criminal negligence. Nevertheless, it's often helpful to already be on the scene when your super persona is needed, instead of having to take the bus from the office downtown. Besides the convenience issue, many heroes got into the game out of altruism, and like being able to help out even when punches and Mega Rays aren't useful.

3. Access. Police detectives get to see all the crime reports that come in. Sometimes they can get away with steering investigations away from their own vigilante activities. Reporters have press passes, which are always useful for getting into those exclusive events that supervillains love crashing. The night janitor at ScienceCo, Inc. can secretly use the labs to create the serum that gives him incredible strength. On the other hand, positions with a great deal of access often involve a similarly great deal of oversight.

4. Easy for you. People with extraordinary abilities might find 'normal' jobs to be a piece of cake to accomplish. Captain Lightning can easily use his super-speed to get a whole day's work done in minutes, allowing him to spend the rest of his valuable time tracking down the evil mastermind's hideout. Cyber-Dude should find standard computer repair jobs to be a snap if he exercises his supernatural command over electronics. And of course, the plucky newsboy always has the scoop on the Astounding Arachnite's newsworthy exploits after mysteriously vanishing whenever the latter appears.

Of course, it's always nice not to have to work at all. Many heroes are independently wealthy, and can support themselves and their super activities without having to worry about the nine-to-five. Others are supported by super organizations like UNTIL; their superheroing is their job. And a rare few need no support at all; Azaran the Magician need only teleport to his sanctum santorum under the polar ice caps after missions, conjuring food and amenities as needed, while the Mighty Golem simply finds a quiet place to lay dormant between battles, needing neither food nor drink to sustain it throughout the centuries.

Good jobs:

gambler, no usual hours and you can sometimes dig up interesting criminal facts on the job

college student, this can work for a few years before the 'rents start pressuring you to be serious and quit goofing off (unaware that you've saved the world a few times)

not needing a job, good for magical creature PCs who can return to their home dimension and be with their own kind

inventor, you can make your own crime fighting tools and patent whatever doesn't use super technology

Bad jobs:

politician, more likely to be villain or considered a villain depending on party affiliation and the media spotlight is always on you

lawyer, you'd make money by defending the very criminals you blasted and collecting huge fees from them; but that wouldn't make you a hero

viper agent, "Jenkins, why did you run away right before Power Man showed up?" "I saw him coming and didn't want to get my skull caved in." "And why didn't you warn the rest of us? We could have laid a trap."

True dat.

Some other really good jobs for superheroes:

...housewife/househusband to reasonably wealthy spouse

My God. Now I have to make a character who is basically Emily Gilmore (of Gilmore Girls). In between her countless society matron functions, she puts on a costume (NOTspandexNOTspandexNOTspandex) and fights crime...

It's beautiful.

My God. Now I have to make a character who is basically Emily Gilmore (of Gilmore Girls). In between her countless society matron functions' date=' she puts on a costume (NOTspandexNOTspandexNOTspandex) and fights crime...

It's beautiful.

She should wear some sort of bulky power armor--somewhere between the Warlord's armor and Iron Man's "Hulk-Buster" suit. No one has any idea who's in the armor--for all people know it could be some sort of robot. They're just glad when it shows up to take on whatever invading army or kaiju-style monster is destroying the city this week.