New Disadvantage Idea: Phobia

The Main Man

Re: New Disadvantage Idea: Phobia

I don't like the term "mess with" at any level - it's a confrontational term.

Let's try "Involve In The Story" - it's a mutually inclusive term.

In point of fact, if you are entertaining the players, how is it confrontational, exactly? Since that was one of the stipulations.

In any event, it was meant to be a facetious response to Sean's statement. Don't read too much into it.

In point of fact, if you are entertaining the players, how is it confrontational, exactly? Since that was one of the stipulations.

In any event, it was meant to be a facetious response to Sean's statement. Don't read too much into it.

....and I deserve and expect such responses :)

what you've done is given the GM 15 or 30 points worth of permission to screw with you :sneaky:

I must spread more first.

I shouldn't read boards when I'm tired then I find two posts like this. How much is "Likes to take statements out of context" worth as a Psych. Lim.?

I've been using the Enraged/Berserk-like "Predictable Responce" Disad for years. I find it works quite well. I think we had another thread about this fairly recently (IIRC, it might have been included in the "Ultimate Disad" thread).

Various reponces include:

Attacking ferociously and irrationally the object of the disad (Enraged)

Attacking ferociously and irrationally anyone in the vicinity (Berserk +10)

Running away at top speed (Fear)

Running away at top speed, heedless of other dangers encountered (Panic +10)

Surrendering/Cowering/Curling up in a fetal position (Coward +10)

Wander away in hopelessness (Dispair)

I hadn't thought of the "gushing over kittens" possibility before, but that could certainly fall into the same category.

Remember that some reactions are similar to Enraged, and should give the same amount of Disad points, and some are more dangerous, like Berserk, and should have the same +10 disad points that Berserk has.

Although in any of these cases, I wouldn't call a fear-responce that works like Engraged, a "phobia". "Phobia" is a specific psychological term which doesn't necessarily fit here. These "triggered irrational responces" could represent anything from a berserk warrior, to a person with an extreme fear of something, to a robot that malfunctions in a particular situation.

• 10 months later...

While the "predictable response" thing is a great idea, it can be easily house ruled using the existing Enraged/Berserk rules, so I don't think having it officially stated as a rule is a huge issue to push for game wise. Also, people often seem to forget that specific responses can be added/noted with regular Psych and Physical Disadvantages. Check out: http://lostcoastgaming.com/files/masterlists.htm for examples. A lot of the limitations have specific values; -1 DEX, -3 for all social interactions, etcetera.

I almost feel ashamed to post this....

This kinda mechanic works well for a Fetish too...

Heh... I just had an image of some Captain Courageous who goes all wonky whenever he encounters a villainess in thigh high boots....

Your shame can be ameliorated by the fact that you are absolutely right. I never thought of using it this way before, but I have a villain that it would be perfect for.