Applying megascale to UoO, ranged

lensman

Re: Applying megascale to AoO, ranged

MegaScale on a UoO power would seem to be of little or no utility, since you have to have Line Of Sight to all recipients. But technically yes... you could apply MegaScale and have the range be 5x the points in inches, where each inch is 1km or more. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're asking...?

Well the LoS can be elminated with the proper adv.'s.

Range of the power becomes a function of AP x5 in inches.

However even a 200 AP power that is still only 1000" or 2 km.

The book suggests buying increased range. But applying Mega scale seems a better idea.

Why would I not want to buy Megascale?

If I recall correctly uncontrolled would allow it to continue to function without Line of Sight but you would still require LoS to initiate the effect.

Correct. My problem is not the LoS to establish the effect UoO, rather the distence the provider can be from any beneficiary.

The first question is, How big is the campaign world? Earth only, Earth and near space, Earth and Lunar, Solar System, Galaxy, Universe, Some other world, etc

Then you need to figure out how far 2 points can be away from each other in that world.

Then you figure out how much megescale yo need.

The first question is, How big is the campaign world? Earth only, Earth and near space, Earth and Lunar, Solar System, Galaxy, Universe, Some other world, etc

Then you need to figure out how far 2 points can be away from each other in that world.

Then you figure out how much megescale yo need.

Well, it is for a Fantasy game so the distance really is a matter of a Med. Sea size.

Increased Range for 1/4 is 25x not 5 x giving a 200 AP power a range of 10km

While 1/4 Megascale means range is 1000km

Question is, Should I apply Megascale at all?

However even a 200 AP power that is still only 1000" or 2 km.

The book suggests buying increased range. But applying Mega scale seems a better idea.

Why would I not want to buy Megascale?

Because the minimum range would then be 1km. You wouldn't be able to use it on a character standing a few yards away, for example.

Looked up some numbers quickly and if it's a supers campaign where Moon bases are likely you'll need around 395,000 km range, so unless the power is very expensive you'll need the 1 1/2 (100,000km) level advantage and it will cover a lot of near ground out away from the planet. Take out the moon and you'll only need about 13,000km so you can get away with the +1 level advantage (1000km)

Because the minimum range would then be 1km. You wouldn't be able to use it on a character standing a few yards away' date=' for example.[/quote']

Dang, I should have thought of that.

I fixated on the range allowed not on the range as an attack.

So iether I come up with a reason why any one being a target would have to stand 1 km, or some fraction of 1km, away or use Increased max range.

Thanks Derek

Does an Uncontrolled power cease to function if the target leaves it's range?

The Uncontrolled Adv. itself does have a provision in it that it (the power with the Uncontrolled adv.) has a common way to turn off.

The UoO adv. states that the power stops working if the target is beyond the range of the power with UoO.

So say the range is 1 km. The target and provider are more than 1 km distant from each other the target loses the AoO power(s.)

Do you have duplication?

I'm just wondering what the concept behind the power is. I can see it is useful, but how is it supposed to work? Flie, demons, and protect my friends, where'ere they may be?

Duplication, no.

The power is a compound power:

Preservation from Darkness

Invisibility, no fringe, Sight and Mystic groups.

Only v. Clair sentience

&

Power def.

Only v. BODY / EGO adjustment powers

Both Red END 0, Persistent, AoO simultaneously x16, Ranged, Increased Range 4x

Uncontrolled (turn off if target uses / makes any Dark pacts)

Only vrs. Evil SFX

This effect was created by a Cleric to help those in power, and thus his allies, to be beyond the sight and grasp of Dark powers.

The concept is how to allocate one's Faith to help others throughout their lifetime , whereever they may go .

Now later in life ambition means this preservation can be used as political leverage, reaping what was sown long ago when the character was more idealistic.

Re: Applying megascale to UoO, ranged

If your GM is OK with that*, uncontrolled continues to work even once you are outside the normal range of the power. You'd only need megascale to actually GIVE the ability at range. If you could go visit someone, put them under your protection, you could then leave and, because of the uncontrolled element, it would keep going.

*He might not be because the timescale the power continues for is in excess of what the power description implies is normally reasonable BUT, the Cleric is tying up quite a few points and making himself atarget for the enemies of htose he protects, so it may be acceptable.

So I have a granted defense UoO simultaneoussly x16, ranged, Persistent, Uncontrolled, Reduced END 0.

I want to apply megascale to the range inches, so that the power still functions on a campaign scale.

Kosher or not?

EDIT: title should be UoO not AoO.

Actually, add AoE Selective then make it a MegaArea power with No Range.

Though you still need a way to target it.

If your GM is OK with that*, uncontrolled continues to work even once you are outside the normal range of the power. You'd only need megascale to actually GIVE the ability at range. If you could go visit someone, put them under your protection, you could then leave and, because of the uncontrolled element, it would keep going.

*He might not be because the timescale the power continues for is in excess of what the power description implies is normally reasonable BUT, the Cleric is tying up quite a few points and making himself a target for the enemies of those he protects, so it may be acceptable.

I just read Uncontrolled and I did not read anythiong about Powers with Uncontroled continuing to work outside of maximum range.

I did read that powers with Uncontroled that are in a MP or VPP still continue after points or slot is changed.

So thanks to reading that I will have to put Lockout as a limitation.

"If you could go visit someone, put them under your protection, you could then leave and, because of the uncontrolled element, it would keep going."

Yes, that is exactly what I wanted to do.

However, my reading of UoO seems to limit the power to its Range (AP x 5")

The GM likes this sort of effect as influence so while he has a head for mechanics, the power has plenty of hooks.

The ones you suggested I passed along. Thanks.

Use of a Differing Modifier would negate the need to use x16 number of recipients. Just cast the spell individually on multiple recipients one at a time. Uncontrolled and Persistent are duplicating the same effect. Just one of the two is all that is necessary in this case. Since it is a granted ability Uncontrolled seems more appropriate.

example:

Notes: Total Cost = 13 Points (33 + 22 - 42). END cost for Caster = 8* (Hero Designer figures the END cost for parts 2 & 3 seperately but they should be counted together (22 + 55 = 77, 77/10 = 8 END).

33 1) PRESERVATION FROM DARKNESS, Part 1 (Primary Effect): (Total: 90 Active Cost, 33 Real Cost) Invisibility to Sight and Mystic Groups , No Fringe, Limited Power Effect ends if target uses or makes any Dark Pacts (+0), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Uncontrolled (+1/2) (70 Active Points); Limited Power Only vs. Clairsentience (-1), Limited Power Only vs. Evil SFX (-1) (Real Cost: 23) plus Power Defense (20 points), Limited Power Effect ends if target uses or makes any Dark Pacts (+0) (20 Active Points); Limited Power Only vs. Evil SFX (-1) (Real Cost: 10)

22 2) PRESERVATION FROM DARKNESS, Part 2 (Casting via Naked Modifier): Usable By Other (+1/4) for up to 90 Active Points of Part 1 (22 Active Points)

2 END

-42 3) PRESERVATION FROM DARKNESS, Part 3 (Limitations on Primary Effect & Casting via Differing Modifier): (55 Active Points); OAF (Holy Symbol; -1), Concentration (0 DCV; Character is totally unaware of nearby events; -3/4), Only When Serving The God's Purposes (-1/2), Requires A Skill (Faith) Roll (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) for up to 55 Points of 55 Points of Parts 1 & 2.

5 END

For more details on this construct method see the following threads:

Build: Rune Magic - Flight

Differing Modifiers: what am I doing wrong?

Usable Simultaneously with Differing Modifiers

I just read Uncontrolled and I did not read anythiong about Powers with Uncontroled continuing to work outside of maximum range.

I did read that powers with Uncontroled that are in a MP or VPP still continue after points or slot is changed.

So thanks to reading that I will have to put Lockout as a limitation.

"If you could go visit someone, put them under your protection, you could then leave and, because of the uncontrolled element, it would keep going."

Yes, that is exactly what I wanted to do.

However, my reading of UoO seems to limit the power to its Range (AP x 5")

The GM likes this sort of effect as influence so while he has a head for mechanics, the power has plenty of hooks.

The ones you suggested I passed along. Thanks.

Hero System 5th Edition, Revised

page 272 ■ Character Creation: Power Modifiers

Once a character has set up an Uncontrolled power, he’s not restricted in any way. As with an ordinary Constant Power, he could, for example, make more attacks with the Uncontrolled power or his other powers (or take other Actions), or move away from the target of the power, without affecting the Uncontrolled power at all — it would continue to function as intended. But unlike an ordinary Constant Power, if he’s Stunned or Knocked Out, or loses Line Of Sight on the target, the power does not cease working — it continues to function as intended.

Use of a Differing Modifier would negate the need to use x16 number of recipients. Just cast the spell individually on multiple recipients one at a time. Uncontrolled and Persistent are duplicating the same effect. Just one of the two is all that is necessary in this case. Since it is a granted ability Uncontrolled seems more appropriate.

example:

Notes: Total Cost = 13 Points (33 + 22 - 42). END cost for Caster = 8* (Hero Designer figures the END cost for parts 2 & 3 seperately but they should be counted together (22 + 55 = 77, 77/10 = 8 END).

33 1) PRESERVATION FROM DARKNESS, Part 1 (Primary Effect): (Total: 90 Active Cost, 33 Real Cost) Invisibility to Sight and Mystic Groups , No Fringe, Limited Power Effect ends if target uses or makes any Dark Pacts (+0), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Uncontrolled (+1/2) (70 Active Points); Limited Power Only vs. Clairsentience (-1), Limited Power Only vs. Evil SFX (-1) (Real Cost: 23) plus Power Defense (20 points), Limited Power Effect ends if target uses or makes any Dark Pacts (+0) (20 Active Points); Limited Power Only vs. Evil SFX (-1) (Real Cost: 10)

22 2) PRESERVATION FROM DARKNESS, Part 2 (Casting via Naked Modifier): Usable By Other (+1/4) for up to 90 Active Points of Part 1 (22 Active Points)

2 END

-42 3) PRESERVATION FROM DARKNESS, Part 3 (Limitations on Primary Effect & Casting via Differing Modifier): (55 Active Points); OAF (Holy Symbol; -1), Concentration (0 DCV; Character is totally unaware of nearby events; -3/4), Only When Serving The God's Purposes (-1/2), Requires A Skill (Faith) Roll (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) for up to 55 Points of 55 Points of Parts 1 & 2.

5 END

Ok Hyper-Man, I consider my Hero-fu as being "Top Men" worthy but I am having a little trouble following / understanding your construction.

Where / what is a Differing Modifier?

I get the END cost and the limitations as applied to the Active cost of 1 & 2.

I get the Naked modifer.

My greater concern is that the campaign (and sane GM's everywhere) limit the number of spells / effects running at one time. So 16 castings of one spell are not possible, campaign limit is INT / 5 .

If I read your post correctly.

Ok Hyper-Man, I consider my Hero-fu as being "Top Men" worthy but I am having a little trouble following / understanding your construction.

Where / what is a Differing Modifier?

I get the END cost and the limitations as applied to the Active cost of 1 & 2.

I get the Naked modifer.

My greater concern is that the campaign (and sane GM's everywhere) limit the number of spells / effects running at one time. So 16 castings of one spell are not possible, campaign limit is INT / 5 .

If I read your post correctly.

see the 3 links that I just added to the post # 19.

Uncontrolled by definition bypasses any # of spells running limit.

Ah, I see now. It works silmiliar to the old Create from first ed.?

Got it. Thanks.

"Uncontrolled by definition bypasses any # of spells running limit."

That is not going to sit well with the GM, so I guess I get a Limit, -1/2, only 16 maximum targets.

Now I have to work on getting th eformat right in HD, I think I will use the Custom Power as Base power for Differing mods.

EDIT: The Rep wheel must turn before I can rep you, but thanks for teaching a old a new trick