More than just Uncontrolled...help please

hammersickle59

Ok, I am trying to simulate two things.

1. I'm trying to build an attack power that will continue "attacking/defending" the charcter even after he's stunned or unconcious. I make it constant, I make it Uncontrollable. But, I want this attack power to sort of have a will of its own. It starts attacking in combat, but its actions are completly seperate from the characters (it doesnt take the characters actions). It defends the character sort of like a follower but it doesnt have the disadvantages of a follower. (its a suit of living demon armor). I dont think it fits as a focus either.

2. A similiar thing except for forcefield. By making forc field Uncontrollabe or Persistent it will stay on after the character gets stunned or unconcious BUT I want it to be able to turn itself on if the character gets knocked out (by suprise for example) so it can protect the character while he regenerates or whatever. I guess I can do this one with a trigger.

What about #1 though, thats a little more tricky.

Re: More than just Uncontrolled...help please

Ok, I am trying to simulate two things.

1. I'm trying to build an attack power that will continue "attacking/defending" the charcter even after he's stunned or unconcious. I make it constant, I make it Uncontrollable. But, I want this attack power to sort of have a will of its own. It starts attacking in combat, but its actions are completly seperate from the characters (it doesnt take the characters actions). It defends the character sort of like a follower but it doesnt have the disadvantages of a follower. (its a suit of living demon armor). I dont think it fits as a focus either.

This sounds like a Summon to me. You wouldn't be the first person to use a Summon as an "attack" power, but I don't know another way to easily do what you're going for in this case.

2. A similiar thing except for forcefield. By making forc field Uncontrollabe or Persistent it will stay on after the character gets stunned or unconcious BUT I want it to be able to turn itself on if the character gets knocked out (by suprise for example) so it can protect the character while he regenerates or whatever. I guess I can do this one with a trigger.

What about #1 though, thats a little more tricky.

If you want to do that, then yes, the answer is "trigger." However, considering STUN/KO are one of the few times people normally cannot use their defensive powers, thus making them vulnerable, I likely would not allow this. That's kind of the point of getting stunned or KO'd, really. So it's a matter both of what you wanna do, and GM willingness to go along with it. As I said, I already have enough trouble with the shielded, Dam. Red. party brick taking something like 0 STUN in any engagement, so I most certainly (with that experience under my belt) never allow someone to be shielded AFTER they got KO'd. But that's me, YMMV.

My OPINION aside, the answer, as I said, is either Trigger, or again, a "Summoned" creature that acts once the PC is out cold. Kind of like a Cortana or similar construct that can activate powers when the player normally cannot (another valid way of reaching your objective).

This sounds like a Summon to me. You wouldn't be the first person to use a Summon as an "attack" power' date=' but I don't know another way to [i']easily[/i] do what you're going for in this case.

Summon was my first thought as well.

If you want to do that' date=' then yes, the answer is "trigger." However, considering STUN/KO are one of the few times people normally [i']cannot[/i] use their defensive powers, thus making them vulnerable, I likely would not allow this. That's kind of the point of getting stunned or KO'd, really. So it's a matter both of what you wanna do, and GM willingness to go along with it. As I said, I already have enough trouble with the shielded, Dam. Red. party brick taking something like 0 STUN in any engagement, so I most certainly (with that experience under my belt) never allow someone to be shielded AFTER they got KO'd. But that's me, YMMV.

My OPINION aside, the answer, as I said, is either Trigger, or again, a "Summoned" creature that acts once the PC is out cold. Kind of like a Cortana or similar construct that can activate powers when the player normally cannot (another valid way of reaching your objective).

On the other hand, is this really any better than plain old Persistent? Say, Armor, for example? If it's ALWAYS on, isn't that even better than being able to be turned on while KO'd or Stunned? If there are disadvantages to having it on (maybe it's Visible and would give the character away?), that's a different story...

I can't think of why Armor would be a bad thing to have on in any situation, so I'd go with plain Armor, with the SFX that "it turns itself on whenever I need it". Maybe add Activation Roll if you want it to "forget" or fail to turn on at times. If it were Visible, I'd either do it as a -0 Limitation (since it's invisible when not needed), or plain old Visible at -1/4, then buy off the Limitation, with a Limitation on the buy-off "Only when Character is hit" (depending on setting and such, -1/4, or -0 (which would be the same as taking Visible at -0 to begin with!)).

Ok. I started to like the Summon idea. But the living demon armor (think spawn) is always with him! Even while asleep etc...it can intiate its own actions and anything it does doesnt use up the characters actions (when it attacks or whatever).

How about Follower instead of Summon?

Follower is already assumed to be always there. Already assumed to be loyal. Can act on its own etc...dont need to buy the +1 Specific being.

But, he has to have disadvantages of Follower too. Primarily that it can be killed. The expensive part about doing it this way is I'll end up dumping a lot of points so the armor wont be killed and then whatever I have left is its powers that would help me (the attacks, and UOO armor, UOO regen).

I'm a 150pts character with 100pts of disadvantages so thats:

30pts for the first 150pts of the follower, then 1 for 1 ration thereafter. Right? Or do I keep the good ration up to 250pts?

Duplication could also work to create a separate character with separate actions, and cab be "recombined" with the main character.

You could take some Defensive Powers with "Not While Duplicated" on them to simulate that your Armor just separated from you and went off to fight.