Minimum megascale inches?

Great Beyond

A quick question - I was trying to build a Megascale teleport, and went with 5 inches at a x10,000 km setting. Realizing that this would pretty much overshoot any destination on the planet (more or less), I went to knock the number of inches down to about 2.

As I was working out the numbers, one of the other players said "Cant do that - there has to be a 5 inch minimum for balance purposes."

Quickly consulting my book, I dont see anything like that in rules, either under teleport or megascale. Is she right and I'm just not seeing it, or is she remembering an old edition rule?

Re: Minimum megascale inches?

Well, it's not a fourth edition rule they're remembering. The minimum value for Teleport in 4th Ed. was 20 points (10"). Man, I'm glad they got rid of minimum power values in FRED.

Though they might be confusing it with Flight, Gliding and Swinging, which do have 5" minima. That's probably it. Given that you don't see anything about it in 5th edition (and I don't remember it being in 5th, either), I think your friend is suffering from versionitis.

I think he's talking about the 'minimum power' part, not the actual distance.

GB, talk to your GM. S/he may have a minimum required distance for you to buy; go with that, then do what you have to do. If 5" is the minimum, you might think of what 10" at x1000 will do for you -- or just stay with 5", get x10,000, and be able to reduce it.

Don't forget, just because you buy 5" at x10,000 doesn't mean you can't choose to teleport only 1"... you just can't reduce the amount each inch equals.

Oh, and my GM allows us to choose to set the scale anywhere between the values for the advantage and the next level up. A +1 Megascale advantage starts at 1,000 km, but I could buy it at 5,000 km, just so long as I stay reasonably under 10,000 (up to 7,500 is what he considers "reasonable", 9,999 would not be reasonable).

The description in the book for megascale states that you can't do "normal" distances, like 20" or 50 ". So the smallest you could get is 1", if you buy Scaleable, the + 1/4 advantage you can go any distance between your minimum and your maximum. For yours, that would be 5km to 50,000km.

For shorter distances you need a non-megascale teleport.

Any minimum requirements for amount of inches is strictly up to your GM. If they say you need 5", that's what you have to have , if they have no minimum then you can get whatever you want.

Read through the Megascale section in adavnatages, it explains the whole lot.

I think he's talking about the 'minimum power' part' date=' not the actual distance.[/quote']

Yeah, thats it. Pretty much in a nutshell, is it legal to buy 1 inch of teleport with x10,000 km megascale on it?

GB, talk to your GM. S/he may have a minimum required distance for you to buy; go with that, then do what you have to do. If 5" is the minimum, you might think of what 10" at x1000 will do for you -- or just stay with 5", get x10,000, and be able to reduce it.

It may be a house rule that we've got in play. I'll collect some opinions from here to make sure I'm indeed not crazy, read the section on megascale telepoprt again and get all my facts in a row before we get together next weekend.

Yeah' date=' thats it. Pretty much in a nutshell, is it legal to buy 1 inch of teleport with x10,000 km megascale on it?[/quote']

It is legal. Under Fourth Edition one had to buy a minimum amount of any Power, but that requirement was dropped for Fifth. But it's suggested that individual GMs can set their own minimum costs.

If you want to tweak with the GM's melon say that you bought 1" Megascale at at least the diameter of the earth and Position shift...then claim you can go anywhere because you are simply "repositioning myself inside the hex"....you may need to run though...;)