Help this person

nexus

Re: Help this person

This is one reason I never use drains. They so often do nothing without a very good roll.

You could rule that he'd have to roll dice to understand any languages, even those he knows natively. Also a roll to follow any any complicated plans (but bank jobs generally aren't, although he may have to roll to remember which getaway car is his, unless somebody yells and tells him).

On the flip side, he may actually become more of a problem. This man can't be reasoned with or negotiated with.

I don't have an account, so I can't post there. And I don't care enough to create an account.

I played a Goblin with 5 intelligence and 18 strength....Think Lenny from Of Mice and Men.....when the one Goblin with the 18 INT (the Genius Goblin) was telling me to be stealthy so we could surprise the Orcs I had to make a roll to see how much of his instructions I understood......the Character was good at digging tunnels and if no one told him to stop he would just keep digging. I rolled and the roll came up that I only remembered one of the commands...Surprise. It was explained to me that surprise was shouting "boo....thats surprise". Made another roll....all I remembered was "Boo..Surprise"......the party wasn't real stealthy after that with a big Goblin running around yelling "boo surprise". At 2 INT the leader of this group would have to constantly make a roll to see if he remembered what the heck he was doing there.....then remember what the thing in his hand was (lazer I believe is mentioned), etc etc.....he'd really be useless and could only focus on one thing at a time. Assuming normal INT, 10, the loss of 8 points of INT would be very disorienting...think about if you went from your INT level to that of a Dog or Cat.........you'd be impressed by sunlight at that point and completely distracted.

You think dogs and cats are impressed by sunlight?

Cats and dogs hunt and kill smaller & also larger animals. Sometimes in packs and sometimes alone and show real intelligence, planning ahead and displaying a real grasp of tactics.

"We'll wait here in the long grass and you chase the antelope to us!"

They don't say it but they do it nontheless.

You think dogs and cats are impressed by sunlight?

Cats and dogs hunt and kill smaller & also larger animals. Sometimes in packs and sometimes alone and show real intelligence, planning ahead and displaying a real grasp of tactics.

"We'll wait here in the long grass and you chase the antelope to us!"

They don't say it but they do it nontheless.

That's not what I said......and why turn this into a debate on the intelligence of animals....I've met some really stupid people and some really smart animals in my time so it's really a non issue. The point of the comment is in context of the game. If a character of 10 INT (normal human intelligence, ie the average Joe/Jane walking down the street) was to suddenly have their cognitive abilities changed from what they normally are to the equivalent of an animal.....yes the sun in the sky would be impressive.....think of the first humans billons of years ago when they saw the sun for the first time......it was very impressive....so much so that some cultures worship it. Cats and Dogs are impressed by things that we humans take for granted. C'mon....a Cat goes apeshit over a laser pointer!!!! A Dog goes bananas when you throw a tennis ball.

... they worshipped the Sun, not the sky, because it was a mysterious daily phenomenon that sometimes (like during eclipses) went away for no reason, or when it was raining, or whatever. Cats and dogs go wild over laser pointers / tennis balls because you're engaging their hunting / chase reflex, not because they're stupid.

IMO, it was played almost perfectly. This was a ganger; the guy was attacking before the INT drain. He'd continue to be aggressive after the INT drain, doing what was familiar to him (point and click). IMO, he should have CONTINUED to attack, ignoring the bank teller, until all his prey/enemy was down. Lowered INT, lowered ability to reason, change plans, etc.

yes the sun in the sky would be impressive.....think of the first humans billons of years ago when they saw the sun for the first time......it was very impressive....so much so that some cultures worship it. Cats and Dogs are impressed by things that we humans take for granted. C'mon....a Cat goes apeshit over a laser pointer!!!! A Dog goes bananas when you throw a tennis ball

Didn't say they worshipped the sky....RIF.....didn't say Cats and Dogs were stupid......what's with all the grief........trying to give Nexus and example and I get jumped by members of PETA for suggesting dogs and cats aren't as smart as humans.....

Lighten up Francis....

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't say they worshipped the sky....RIF.....didn't say Cats and Dogs were stupid......what's with all the grief........trying to give Nexus and example and I get jumped by members of PETA for suggesting dogs and cats aren't as smart as humans.....

Lighten up Francis....

Yes, well -- it's a bad example.

Ironically, I'm drawing a blank....

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=386519

Y'know, afte the "CRAWLING with sick and wrong people" comment the O.P. made, I'm disinclined to acquiesce to his request (means Nope).

Were I to adjudicate the situation, I'd probably have the drained character make an INT roll only to remember small details. But how many details are involved in a stick-em-up robbery? Judging from this GM's post, apparently not many.

I might have made the character react to things slower (like their DEX was reduced) to simulate having to "think it though" -- with the exception being things he was very familiar with to the point of being almost instinctive.