Hudson City and Its Brilliance

Tungsten Shephard

I just picked up a copy of both Hudson City and the HC PDF. All I can say is WOW, just WOW what an awesome setting this is.

In the campaign I'm running right now the players have chosen to create a secret base HQ within the Hudson City area. They have chosen the area of Riverside Hills on the corner of Wilkes and Grant St. to set up a store front called, "It's all about the Pie".

"It's all about the Pie" is a small walk in pie shop that specialized in Pie's from around the word. Almost any pie made around the world from strawberry pie to fish pie can be found here.

What I want to know is if your players have set up any store front or HQ and what did they call it or where did they place it?

Re: Hudson City and It's Brilliance

I have run two major Dark Champions campaigns that were based in Hudson City. You can read the campaign log of both campaigns by following the links in my signature (Weekend Warriors and The Omega Team). Both groups have headquarters in Hudson City which are mentioned in some detail in the campaign logs.

wasn't that BLACK CANARY'S flower shop?

Really? I adopted it from an ald DC Heroes Adventure featuring Green Arrow and Black Canary. I am not too well read in all things Arrowish or Canarian ... :o

Technicaly it was Black Canary's, however they were living together, and he was working there (Plus they lived upstairs from it), so in function it was really a partnership style thing...

I know very little about Vibora or Millennium City. How does Hudson compare to these settings? Since my game store does not carry HERO products and I have to travel out of the area to pick them up, I'm unable to compare the settings for myself.

Any info would help..

I think Hudson City is the mose fleshed out of the three, and definatly a product of love for Steve, the other books, while quality work, do not to me have the same author "I love this setting" that the writing of Hudson had. Vbay is probably the better of the two, but that could be because it hit alot of my "this is a cool super setting" buttons (Magical influences, legacy heroes, etc...)

Hudson City rocks. My only issue with it is is that you need to buy predators to get the details about crimelords other than Card Shark and the Kyphotic man (my favorite DC villian by the way) and the vicelord other than Cleopatera. Not a huge hardship, but a bit of a pain when I was running my Hudson City Campaign, since it didn't come out until it was almost over.

It is indeed a frickin' great setting.

If you're looking for more material set in/around HC, you might also look at picking up a copy of Thrilling Places. Even though it was written for the Pulp Hero line, many of the settings are already set in Hudson City, and require very little in the way of adaption to a mmodern setting.

I know very little about Vibora or Millennium City. How does Hudson compare to these settings? Since my game store does not carry HERO products and I have to travel out of the area to pick them up, I'm unable to compare the settings for myself.

Any info would help..

Hudson City is VASTLY more detailed than Vibora Bay or Millenium City, which makes it much more suitable for a street level campaign. It would be very difficult to run heroic and/or street-level supers in either of the other two cities since there's just not enough meat (The books for Vibora Bay and Millenium City are literally half as thick as Hudson City). They are both fine for supers or mystical campaigns.