Justice Squadron: TNG

Corven_Ren

Re: Justice Squadron: TNG

Way back in the good old days' date=' Namor demonstrated the ability to absorb electricity, and discharge it like an electric eel. (Which is not actually how eels work, but never mind)[/quote']

IIRC, he could actually mimic the abilities of any sea-critter, though that ability was later lost. But it might not've been lost for this game world!

And somebody somewhere ought to know who the secret gene donor is. Perhaps Krang worked through a human intermediary like Dr.Doom or Lex Luthor or the Kingpin to get the genetic samples' date=' and that intermediary gave Krang Sue Storm-Richards's genes for some sinister purpose of his own.[/quote']

Hrrmmm..... *ponders*

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my latest version of Scion' date=' though he's still a little incomplete. I've got his background & personality down, and his disadvantages picked, but still have about 25 points left to spend. Suggestions are welcome![/quote']

After looking at your character, these are the question I would ask if I were GM, I'm not so feel free to answer or not :D

Why is he so much uglier than either of his parents (8 COM)?

I see you have all of your "Force Armor" as one compound power. Personally I think that's really hard to read, so I would make it a List and you could Link everything to your Force Field.

I'm not really sure about the SFX of your Force Armor. How exactly does increase your STR and give you a 45 CON?

Why can you only stretch the Force Field around his hands and arms? Why isn't the rest of the force field stretchable?

Your "Force Armor costs 6 END per phase to maintain, you use 7 END per phase you use your STR. If you attack every phase, you'll be out of END before the end of 1 Turn.

You have 35 Defenses plus 25% Damage Reduction, that might be a bit high for defenses.

I would define your Sonar as only working underwater.

You have a Total CvK, but you go Berserk in combat, that's going to cause some problems with a 70 STR. Add that to wanting to be a capable leader, and it's just a recipe for disaster. I would never allow a Berserk in combat character.

Again these are just my thoughts, feel free to do with them what you will :D

After looking at your character, these are the question I would ask if I were GM, I'm not so feel free to answer or not :D

Why is he so much uglier than either of his parents (8 COM)?

Ack! I hadn't noticed that at all! (I started by taking the .hdc file from Force of the Crowns of Krim and started editing; I guess he is an ugly lil' sucker.)

I see you have all of your "Force Armor" as one compound power. Personally I think that's really hard to read' date=' so I would make it a List and you could Link everything to your Force Field.[/quote']

Easy enough to do :) Oh, should the associated powers (the Characteristics, Life Support and Stretching) be Linked to the Force Field, since he only has them when his "psionic exoskeleton" is up?

I'm not really sure about the SFX of your Force Armor. How exactly does increase your STR and give you a 45 CON?

IIRC, the psionic exoskeleton of Unuscione (daughter of Unus the Untouchable), and of Armor, augments her strength (like a regular exoskeleton), so I don't see why his can't. My whole idea was "force field-based power armor."

The CON thing also comes from exoskeleton/power armor, specifically the "Powered Armor Resilience Augmentation" on pg.75 of Gadgets & Gear. It represents the force armor's ability to protect him from the stunning effects of impacts and the like.

Why can you only stretch the Force Field around his hands and arms? Why isn't the rest of the force field stretchable?

Because he picks up/manipulates things with his hands. He could potentially learn how to stretch the rest of his field, but for now has never really thought to do so.

Your "Force Armor costs 6 END per phase to maintain' date=' you use 7 END per phase you use your STR. If you attack every phase, you'll be out of END before the end of 1 Turn.[/quote']

Hence my need to suggestions & such, since this is only the fourth HERO System character I've ever made. Suggestions?

You have 35 Defenses plus 25% Damage Reduction' date=' that might be a bit high for defenses.[/quote']

Ah, that's another leftover from Force's char sheet. It probably can get chucked, yeah.

Or, limit it so it's only effective when underwater? I had been toying with ways to make him stronger/faster/tougher while underwater. (Increased REC when underwater?)

I would define your Sonar as only working underwater.

I'd thought about that, too, but then thought that maybe it's not just pulses of high-frequency sound he's using but also pulses of force energy, thus allowing it to work as well out of water as in. Or, that it's not just sonar but radar as well (which seem to built exactly the same).

You have a Total CvK' date=' but you go Berserk in combat, that's going to cause some problems with a 70 STR. Add that to wanting to be a capable leader, and it's just a recipe for disaster. I would never allow a Berserk in combat character.[/quote']

Hrm, true. I can remove that but leave the Enraged (when takes BODY), and that should be enough to show he's still got some of his dad's temper. (Though how he deals with such a disaster would be a grueling test of his leadership ability....)

Suggestions on another 30 points worth of Disadvantages?

Again these are just my thoughts' date=' feel free to do with them what you will :D[/quote']

I value any and all help I can get :)

As long as you're not taking my suggestions the wrong way, if you're getting frustrated, or feel yourself getting annoyed by them ignore me and move on, just offering my point of view, and I've been known to do things differently. Just want to make that clear so there are no hard feelings :D

Ack! I hadn't noticed that at all! (I started by taking the .hdc file from Force of the Crowns of Krim and started editing; I guess he is an ugly lil' sucker.)

Let me start by saying I'm a New Yorker, so I'm a cynical S.O.B (keep this in mind as I go through your character). When I see something, my first thoughts are "They're trying to get something for nothing". I look at COM since it has no real effect on game play it's an "easy" way to get points back with discernible loss in power.

Easy enough to do :) Oh, should the associated powers (the Characteristics, Life Support and Stretching) be Linked to the Force Field, since he only has them when his "psionic exoskeleton" is up?

If you only get them when the Force Field is up, then they should absolutely be linked. Remember that the value is reduced since the "Host" power is a constant power or in use most of the time.

IIRC, the psionic exoskeleton of Unuscione (daughter of Unus the Untouchable), and of Armor, augments her strength (like a regular exoskeleton), so I don't see why his can't. My whole idea was "force field-based power armor."

The CON thing also comes from exoskeleton/power armor, specifically the "Powered Armor Resilience Augmentation" on pg.75 of Gadgets & Gear. It represents the force armor's ability to protect him from the stunning effects of impacts and the like.

This sounds fine, although a 45 CON seems pretty huge. I haven't played a lot of games at the 600pt level, so it may not be as huge as it seems to me.

The only problem I'd have as the GM is that it doesn't really fit Susan's powers. I'd recommend you choose a different mom (Unuscione leaps immediately to mind) if you wanted that power set. What I'd really advise (and again this is just me, take it or leave it) is just give him a 70 STR and be done with it (or 60 STR +10 only underwater).

Because he picks up/manipulates things with his hands. He could potentially learn how to stretch the rest of his field, but for now has never really thought to do so.

Again the cynic in me screams this is a non-limiting limitation. I would get rid of the limitation as it doesn't really fit the conception.

Hence my need to suggestions & such, since this is only the fourth HERO System character I've ever made. Suggestions?

I would recommend a Naked Power Advantage 1/2 END on 70 STR for 17 Points. I would also make all the powers that are linked to the Force Field and the Force Field itself 0 END.

Ah, that's another leftover from Force's char sheet. It probably can get chucked, yeah.

Or, limit it so it's only effective when underwater? I had been toying with ways to make him stronger/faster/tougher while underwater. (Increased REC when underwater?)

That would be cool. If you look at the very first page in this thread, my first character was Tempest, he was son of Aqualad (who it seems doesn't exist in Corven's world). He has extra REC and Regeneration only under water.

I'd thought about that, too, but then thought that maybe it's not just pulses of high-frequency sound he's using but also pulses of force energy, thus allowing it to work as well out of water as in. Or, that it's not just sonar but radar as well (which seem to built exactly the same).

That seems cool. Similar things have been done with a Telekinesis SFX.

Hrm, true. I can remove that but leave the Enraged (when takes BODY), and that should be enough to show he's still got some of his dad's temper. (Though how he deals with such a disaster would be a grueling test of his leadership ability....)

Suggestions on another 30 points worth of Disadvantages?

Well you have another 20pts in psych disads you can use. Overconfident, Regal Obliges, Honor Bound/Warrior's Code, Arrogant, Expected to be treated like a prince, are all good candidates for that. Another Social Limitation Prince, Not limiting in some cultures (above water). Dark Secret: Stolen DNA from Susan Storm.

Another suggestion I'd make is take your Flying add the +1/4 Usable as Swimming and see if that makes things cheaper (I haven't done the math on it yet).

I value any and all help I can get :)

Hope I helped some.

As long as you're not taking my suggestions the wrong way' date=' if you're getting frustrated, or feel yourself getting annoyed by them ignore me and move on, just offering my point of view, and I've been known to do things differently. Just want to make that clear so there are no hard feelings :D[/quote']

Heh, none taken, as I said I'm still somewhat new to the system.

Let me start by saying I'm a New Yorker' date=' so I'm a cynical S.O.B (keep this in mind as I go through your character). When I see something, my first thoughts are "They're trying to get something for nothing". I look at COM since it has no real effect on game play it's an "easy" way to get points back with discernible loss in power.[/quote']

Heh, no, in this case it truly was me just being careless and overlooking something.

If you only get them when the Force Field is up' date=' then they should absolutely be linked. Remember that the value is reduced since the "Host" power is a constant power or in use most of the time.[/quote']

Groovy :)

This sounds fine' date=' although a 45 CON seems pretty huge. I haven't played a lot of games at the 600pt level, so it may not be as huge as it seems to me.[/quote']

Hrrmm... anyone else here think 45 CON (solely to resist being stunned from taking STUN damage) is too big?

The only problem I'd have as the GM is that it doesn't really fit Susan's powers. I'd recommend you choose a different mom (Unuscione leaps immediately to mind) if you wanted that power set. What I'd really advise (and again this is just me' date=' take it or leave it) is just give him a 70 STR and be done with it (or 60 STR +10 only underwater).[/quote']

It's not strictly Susan's powers, it's his own (like how Franklin's powers are nothing like Reed's or Sue's).

Again the cynic in me screams this is a non-limiting limitation. I would get rid of the limitation as it doesn't really fit the conception.

I think it does fit the concept. His "force armor/exoskeleton" just amps up his Brick-ness, and the stretching lets him batter foes from a distance as if using his own mighty fists. But, that's the only use for extending his force field he's been able to solidly conceive of, so that's all he does.

I would recommend a Naked Power Advantage 1/2 END on 70 STR for 17 Points. I would also make all the powers that are linked to the Force Field and the Force Field itself 0 END.

Gotcha.

That would be cool. If you look at the very first page in this thread' date=' my first character was Tempest, he was son of Aqualad (who it seems doesn't exist in Corven's world). He has extra REC and Regeneration only under water.[/quote']

Ah, Regen would fit quite nicely.

Well you have another 20pts in psych disads you can use. Overconfident' date=' Regal Obliges, Honor Bound/Warrior's Code, Arrogant, Expected to be treated like a prince, are all good candidates for that. Another Social Limitation Prince, Not limiting in some cultures (above water). Dark Secret: Stolen DNA from Susan Storm.[/quote']

Ha, Dark Secret is made for this guy!

Another suggestion I'd make is take your Flying add the +1/4 Usable as Swimming and see if that makes things cheaper (I haven't done the math on it yet).

Ah, I'd not thought of that at all. Thanks.

Hope I helped some.

You have!

Ok Dr. Archeville...I just got a chance to look at the new version of Scion. Checkmate has some good suggestions. Here are a few of my own.

Like Checkmate said the damage reduction needs to go. Also the 45 Con is a bit much...Namor was a brick but not that powerful of one. The regen to in the water would be great as well...it could recover both body, stun & end.

Disadvantages. Your dependance is a little extreme. Namor himself must spend one hour a day in the opposite environment he's mainly in. Ie if he's underwater most of the time...he must spend an hour in the air and vice versa. The berzerk has to go. Also I would take Vulnerability to heat based attacks (it will dehydrate you as well)...that is all for now.

Examples am very good :) :) :)

If I do go the "enhanced REC, only in water," how much of a Limit should that be? -1/2? More? Less?

Oh, and, just for my clarification, where are the JS packages located? I pieced 'em together from Spider-Lad's & Valkyrie's sheet, but cannot seem to find where they're actually listed for players.

Just wanted to repost this after recieving a pm

Submissions So Far

Checkmate

Valkyrie- Daughter of Thor Odinson and Wonder Woman

Querysphinx

Plastyque- Daughter of Reed & Susan Richards

Beast

Silk Detective- Clone Created by Dr. Destroyer using Forge & Illyana Rasputin's DNA

Alamias

Moon Knight II- Son of Marc Spector the original Moon Knight & Marlene Alraune

RocketsRedGlare

Spider Lad- Son Of Spider Man & Black Cat.

Dr. Archeville

Scion- Geneticlly Engineered son of Namor & Susan Richard (Still Work In Progress I believe)

Propose Submissions (Not official yet but were discussed

Aylwin13

Wildcard- Son of Gambit & Rogue

McCoy

Tornado Fist- Daughter of Ironfist & Cyclone

Amoeba Man

Blackburn-Son of Sunspot & Fire

Allan

Sapphire- Daughter of Madrox & Green Lantern (Aeryka Scott)

Hellfire- Daughter of Box who has turned the Ghost Rider motorcycle into a robot.

Again, not the GM so take it or leave it, but...

The character seems "hodge-podge-y" (if that's a word). It looks like you looked through a bunch of characters and said "That looks neat, I'll take one of those, and one one of these, a few of this", and things no longer make sense. I could go through and point on things I thought were weird, but I'm hoping you follow this suggestion:

Scrap the whole character and start from scratch. Think about your conception and what the character should be able to do. Forget about the HERO System totally and just think about what abilities the character should have. Once you know exactly what you want the character's powers and skills to be THEN start building him. If you aren't sure how to build something ask or look at other characters.

Here's what you have so far (that I see):

1. Inspiration - Sub-Mariner/Sue Richards parents
  2. Personality - Hot head wants to be a good leader (check out your disads for more on this).
  3. Powers -

1. Atlantean Powers (underwater survivability)- You have to decide (with the help of the GM) what abilities do all Atlanteans have. Now your character is only 1/4 Atlantean, does he have all the powers at exactly the same level?
    2. Super Strength- This is pretty straight forward.
    3. Flight - Again, no real complications here.
    4. Power Armored Force Field - This is the part that's really lacking some focus. Before you look at a single power, decide what this does for the character. Does it only protect and increase STR, and stretch? Nail this down

After reviewing the character...well...I was planning on doing this later today after my kids were in school but seeing as I just killed a bat and cannot get back to sleep here it goes.

Atlantean Powers: LS Breath Water, High Pressure, Intense Cold, Longevity 200 Years, Nightvision (with the limitation..only works underwater this is how Atlanteans see in the depths of the ocean) No Sonar...I know his Wikipedia entry says he once possessed but no. The Damage Resistance, Mental Defense and Power defense and helaing are Atlantean as well.

Ankle Wings: I am cool with that...Why not just by flight with usable underwater and that way you dont have to pay the extra points to buy swimming.

STR/CON Boosts: I really don't see these coming from a force field...you want thes you get them the same way his daddy does..only while in contact with water.

Force Armor: I can logically see this providing the force field, stretching, maybe at most up to a 4d6 h-h attack and the section you have on protective armor and toughness augmentation.

Also I just dont understant the point of the PRE bonus.

Now that is that.

You killed a bat? It might have been an omen to get you to become Bat-Ren!

Why no Sonar? Especially as I gave a "pseudoscience" explanation for how his could work via his force field? And I think the nightvision of Namor & other Atlanteans (and DC's Atlanteans, and the Atlanteans of the Champions universe) work equally well both above and under water.

Why not Flight, Useable As Swimming? Because if something happens to his Flight, he should still be able to/I would still want him able to Swim.

I don't want to extra STR & CON (completely) coming from being in water, I want them to be (mostly) from his psionic exoskeleton. There's two chars in Marvel who have this (Unuscione and Armor, well they both get the STR augmentation), and Unuscione is the daughter of a guy who just had a big force field (Unus the Untouchable). The extra CON thing is really only to protect from getting stunned (impact absorption), it's another protective thing.

PRE bonus is straight out of Ulimate Brick and Superpowers Database II. He's persuasive/charismatic, but not "naturally" so (yet), he's got to consciously will himself/focus himself to draw upon his PRE. But I could take it out and just give him more PRE.

You killed a bat? It might have been an omen to get you to become Bat-Ren!

Why no Sonar? Especially as I gave a "pseudoscience" explanation for how his could work via his force field? And I think the nightvision of Namor & other Atlanteans (and DC's Atlanteans, and the Atlanteans of the Champions universe) work equally well both above and under water.

Why not Flight, Useable As Swimming? Because if something happens to his Flight, he should still be able to/I would still want him able to Swim.

I don't want to extra STR & CON (completely) coming from being in water, I want them to be (mostly) from his psionic exoskeleton. There's two chars in Marvel who have this (Unuscione and Armor, well they both get the STR augmentation), and Unuscione is the daughter of a guy who just had a big force field (Unus the Untouchable). The extra CON thing is really only to protect from getting stunned (impact absorption), it's another protective thing.

PRE bonus is straight out of Ulimate Brick and Superpowers Database II. He's persuasive/charismatic, but not "naturally" so (yet), he's got to consciously will himself/focus himself to draw upon his PRE. But I could take it out and just give him more PRE.

Ok after rethinking (and looking up the two other Marvel characters you mentioned)...the build on the force armor is fine as it is. You make a good argument for the sonar and nightvision as well. I unfortunatly do not own any books other than 5Er so I was unaware of the PRE bonus in the Ultimate Brick.

Hopefully Mr. Long won't mind me reprinting a bit:

Intimidation

By virtue of their size and obvious brawn, bricks can be very intimidating. A menacing stare, a low growl, or the cracking of super-strong knuckles at just the right time can do wonders for frightening people.

Game Information: +20 PRE (20 Active Points); Extra Time (Full Phase; -½), Only To Make Fear/Intimidation-Style Presence Attacks (-1). Total cost: 8 points.

Awe

The character’s nigh-godlike bearing and general force of personality make it easy for him to overawe and impress others. Even when he doesn’t actively exert his Presence (i.e., make a Presence Attack), people near him tend to adopt attitudes of deference, respect, adoration, and even worshipfulness.

Game Information: +40 PRE (40 Active Points); Costs Endurance (to activate; -¼). Total cost: 32 points.

Terrifying Majesty

While the character is pretty impressive in most situations, when it comes time to intimidate or terrify someone, his true talents come to the fore. Like the God of the Old Testament, he possesses a majesty and grandeur of personality that is often terrifying in its aspect, and those on whom he turns his baleful glance tremble in fear.

Game Information: +40 PRE (40 Active Points); Costs Endurance (to activate; -¼), Only To Make Fear-/Intimidation-Based Presence Attacks And Skill Rolls (-1). Total cost: 18 points.

Another power I'd thought of (before you suggested regeneration) was some variant on the "Just Catching My Breath":

Just Catching My Breath

So strong is the brick’s metabolism that whenever he stops to rest or catch his breath, he “rests up” much faster than normal.

In game terms, this ability is extra REC that only works if the character stops in the middle of a battle (or other activity) and takes a Recovery. It does not apply to the Post-Segment 12 Recovery or the like — the character has to actually stop what he’s doing and concentrate on nothing but resting.

Game Information: +20 REC (40 Active Points); Only When Character Takes A Full Phase Recovery (-1). Total cost: 20 points.

Alright, I think he's done. (Famous last words...)

Noticed I'd picked Ultravision for him instead of Ultrasonic Hearing, fixed that.

Also upped his COM a bit. And added some SS: Marine Biology ;)

And edited out the "if Reed or Sue ever study him" line (since they really can't).

Unfortunately, it seems I'm unable to export the file to .doc format (I'm at work now, it must not like the Hero Designer), so I'm just going to attach the .hdc file.

I was thinking of doing a daughter of the X-Men's Banshee (A sonics based character with singing based Mind Control, called Siren.) I don't recall seeing him on your timeline so does Banshee exist in your game? Roughly how old would he be (so I can figure out how old my character could be/has to be)? Do you have anything set up around Banshee that I should know about/would affect my background?

I'm not that familiar with the Marvel universe so i'm in the process of reading up on the character via Wikipedia.