Storn's Fantasy Art, Comics and Doodles

Storn

Do you think it's possible to Post all the forums you post on instead of your fans posting them

huh? Not sure what you are asking.

I post to RpgNet often, Peg's Savage World's forums a bit, here on various Hero forums... occasionally on En World, Mutants and Masterminds, now the Conan forum over at Mongoose...

Often its the same artwork, trying to advertise as widely as possible... so I don't think you are missing much.

This is an important NPC, Falanna Duarnan, in my Realms campaign. If you've been following my blog-thread on the PEG boards, Falanna is the betrothed to Daerinel... adn Daer is in a bad way these days. Falanna is making the trek from their homewoods to the new Myth Drannor to take care of her beloved.

She is a captain in the White Order. The heavy, royal troops of the Chondalwood.

OMG, I love the art, Storn... my campaign art folder is chocked full of Storn Cook art. My players love to see your characters when I show them. Of course, when I usually show a picture of an NPC, it means they'll be around for a while... very cliche', I know... :D

I'm hoping to commission a couple of characters from you myself as soon as I get money.... :D

Jak

Originally posted by Storn

This sorta falls under the fantasy catagory. This is a cover sketch for HInterwelt Games's upcoming PDF Future Skien... barbarian tribes fighting Giant Robots of the Machine Lords in a dark future.....mmmmm....pulpy!

Way cool! But why is the drawing on an orange background? Makes it kind of hard to see the drawing.

I noticed a familiar theme to a previous drawing you posted. That being the head of a stone statue jutting out from the sand. The previous drawing you posted was that of the Purple Dragon Knight. Both statues are different but both seem to have Asian Indian influence in their design.

Way cool! But why is the drawing on an orange background? Makes it kind of hard to see the drawing.

The board is actually a tan. But when I punched up the light pencils, as I tend to have a light hand, it moved from tan to orange.

But I thought it might interest a few folks the next step in the cover. This is the underpainting, and I think it will be easier to read.

The board is actually a tan. But when I punched up the light pencils, as I tend to have a light hand, it moved from tan to orange.

But I thought it might interest a few folks the next step in the cover. This is the underpainting, and I think it will be easier to read.

The center of gravity is odd on this picture.

Stylistically it works, but it pulls my eyes all over the page. They end up on the wrecking ball arm in the dirt, leaving a huge open gash of dead space from the upper left corner to the wrecking ball. Also leaves the cat and arch out in the cold -- the eye gets sucked away from them entirely to the point that they might as well not even be there.

This is an important NPC, Falanna Duarnan, in my Realms campaign. If you've been following my blog-thread on the PEG boards, Falanna is the betrothed to Daerinel... adn Daer is in a bad way these days. Falanna is making the trek from their homewoods to the new Myth Drannor to take care of her beloved.

She is a captain in the White Order. The heavy, royal troops of the Chondalwood.

Looks good but her lower hand looks superfluous, kind of just hanging there. Needs some more weight to ground it into the sword. colors good, perspecitve good, face good but kind of bland -- eyes look a little unfocused, making her look blind or in a trance.

A recent NPC addition in my Realms game.

Has anyone ever thought how hard it is to draw a female gnoll? Damn tough, let me tell you. Just a quickie doodle.

Very solid piece, but a counter diagonal background piece would have grounded her into the scene a little better. Like the face -- difficult to do snouts, but it works here.

Here is one player character in the more elf centric part of my campaign. Very fast sketch. (anax lores.jpg)

Eye line a bit off, but I love the feel of this pic. I must say, I like your sketches and "soft edged" pieces better than your finished work in a lot of ways. They feel more smooth and have a better flow. Your finished stuff feels a little stiff at times. The sketchy/blurred approach really seems to work well with your "open" styling.

Anyway, getting back to pictures. I wanted a jovial, mercurial caravan leader picture for an NPC, and couldn't find one. So this is a quick sketch (about 15 minutes for those who care about such things... busts are easy).

This is Abir Tem Khaloon. "Loon" for short. He wears the 4 jewel mark of a caravan leader of Tethyr merchant class. He is young for such an important role, but was literally born into the caravan life and is quite experienced caravaner, despite his 30 summers.

Very solid pic that can do duty for a lot of different things. Wizard, Bard, Psionicist, lots of reusability. Very personable looking, with a lot of character. A very "warm" drawing. Well done.

A painting of a scene that I dreamed up on the way back from the art supply store. It is Roland, Rick's PC, in my Savage Realms game, way down south... kinda fish outta water scene. But I wanted something to speak to the exploration that the game has sorta evolved into.

His head looks kind of off shape-wise, and he doesnt quite seem to be attached to the terrain around him. The background looks pretty decent however, and the details on his uniform are pretty good.

Re: Re: Lurkers Anonymous

huh? How do I do what? Artwork? Get back to me on that... and maybe I can give an informed answer.

Anyway, this is an old pic done a few years ago, on bleeding paper stock, inked on a bus, I think... but I still like it. It was dredged up because the NPC, Valiphar, emporer of Tethyr, had an important appearence in my last Savage Realms game.

Excellent. Your sketches continue to blow me away. This is a great bust. Will be used......oh yes, it will be used ;)

Here are a couple of new player characters to my fantasy game. This is Eric's PC, a large druidaic shapechanger type. Uses tomahawks. fun. fun.

Most excellent. Reminds me of a PC of another player from years ago -- a throwing axe master.

This is a great pic; the character looks different from most of your other figures, different body style, and a certain brooding menace suggested by his hulking shoulders.

This is the Maltese Cross. She is actually in my Malta campaign, which is Dark Champions in a Champions Universe... but she looks like a fantasy character... so here she is.

Wow. This is really top-notch -- Id put that against the best work of any of the top artists in the industry. Great job.

And here is my PC for the excellent, once in a while game, that my friend Matt is running called Chalice. Chalice is THEE city and my D'artagnan stand-in Stefan is about to embark on some really dangerous political adventures.

Like everything except the face. The cocked eyebrow + grin makes him look too feline. Its distracting. Plus the right eyebrow lifts your eye off the upper left corner of the page, right out of the fantastic detail contained in the costume and weaponry. If his brow were furrowed a bit in focus, or if the left eye brow were cocked (EDIT: instead of the right) in counter point to the grin on the right it would work better IMO.

Here is a further experimentation in digital over pencil. This was another one of those scenes that woke me up in the middle of the night. And I just had to put to paper.

Hmm. My eye goes right to the elaborately detailed forward knee and stays there. Maybe a little reflected light on the faces of the foreground figures would help pull the eyes there.