Storn's Fantasy Art, Comics and Doodles

Storn

Originally posted by Storn

Thanks K.S., for all that time.

No worries; I was bored at work and killing the last half hour ;)

Actually, Ive followed your artwork casually over the years, and I have to say that you are the most improved artist I am aware of in the industry, which I know must sound like a backhanded compliment, but really is meant in the best possible way.

IMO most of the gaming artists dont grow much AFAICT; their artwork isnt majorly different from year to year. You keep trying to push your personal envelope, and that says a lot about a person.

The cover of Champions is what made me go "hey, wow -- this is Storn? Nice!"

So basically, I guess Im saying, keep up the good work, it is appreciated. :)

Originally posted by Killer Shrike

The center of gravity is odd on this picture.

Stylistically it works, but it pulls my eyes all over the page. They end up on the wrecking ball arm in the dirt, leaving a huge open gash of dead space from the upper left corner to the wrecking ball. Also leaves the cat and arch out in the cold -- the eye gets sucked away from them entirely to the point that they might as well not even be there.

Actually looking at this again, it occured to me that it might be meant as a book cover, with the robot filling the front panel and the cat on the back, allowing a lot of white space for fluff text and the "V" of white space coming in on the spine.

If thats the case then this piece works when considered in split format, though the lunging hero kind of blends in w/ the bot a bit.

I like all your pictures in this thread but I must disagree with Killer Shrike your finished work are much better than your sketches. My favourite picture is the one with the purple dragon knight and the statue head, the statuehead is especially good. It is a pity that you don’t like drawing background's because you do it very well. I also think that you are very good at drawing women. For the history of the realm I thought that it was okay but you should have focused more on describing the players actions and the consecveces of their adventures.

And I like the 3 eyed troll. :)

Originally posted by Trencher

I like all your pictures in this thread but I must disagree with Killer Shrike your finished work are much better than your sketches. My favourite picture is the one with the purple dragon knight and the statue head, the statuehead is especially good. It is a pity that you don’t like drawing background's because you do it very well. I also think that you are very good at drawing women. For the history of the realm I thought that it was okay but you should have focused more on describing the players actions and the consecveces of their adventures.

And I like the 3 eyed troll. :)

And thats the beauty of Art Appreciation. We can all appreciate it differently ;)

This is Garreth. A.k.a "that blue skinned freak". One of Rick's PCs in the Realms and probably the most important. Son of Elminster and Mystara (her mark of 7 Stars plain to see), goddess of Magic, raised in a pocket dimension... his curiousity is only matched by horrible color and fashion sense.

But recent events have made him more serious, more aware and more responsible. HIs burden is heavy and the future is most uncertain.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Re: Storn's Fantasy Art, Comics and Doodles

Cranking thru some of my own artwork for my own game. Which I'm running this week.

First up is Eltherion, Sentinel of Lethyr Forest, one of two of the last of his/her kind. This is one of Eric's PCs... who is being dusted off after a long hiatus. And brother to one of my games GREAT villains...Lotholis (who, btw, is the lich looking dude on my website under "doodles".)

2nd, is Methamere Dray. Harper and spy. Leading the current expedition to find a means to bringing down Lotholis. And before anyone accuses me of not doing my homework on flintlocks/muskets... it ain't one. My Realms has "guns"...but they don't work under gunpowder models. They accomplish the same thing, throw a bit of lead downfield and hurt something...but it is tweaked to represent the world a bit tighter.

Cranking thru some of my own artwork for my own game. Which I'm running this week.

First up is Eltherion, Sentinel of Lethyr Forest, one of two of the last of his/her kind. This is one of Eric's PCs... who is being dusted off after a long hiatus. And brother to one of my games GREAT villains...Lotholis (who, btw, is the lich looking dude on my website under "doodles".)

2nd, is Methamere Dray. Harper and spy. Leading the current expedition to find a means to bringing down Lotholis. And before anyone accuses me of not doing my homework on flintlocks/muskets... it ain't one. My Realms has "guns"...but they don't work under gunpowder models. They accomplish the same thing, throw a bit of lead downfield and hurt something...but it is tweaked to represent the world a bit tighter.

Very very very nice. I am always impressed

Storn, I just wanted to say what I'm sure you've heard a billion times before (and I'm also sure you'll never get sick of hearing); that's some seriously great stuff. I enjoy the sense of style and the realism that gets put into the art you do. The fact that the art seems born of personality, not a wardrobe description. Neat stuff, very inspiring. As always.

Keep it up, man.

Ry Stevenson

Very nice' date=' as always. I notice your characters are in Faerun. Do you use AD&D 2E, d20, or Hero in this campaign?[/quote']

None of the above. I have used Hero and I have used d20. But my system of choice for THIS campaign is Savage Worlds.

Hero works really well, except I feel that its magic is a bit clunky and too defined for the magic that I want to portray... a 60 VPP always has the cap. a 40 active pt cannot really be tweaked with on the fly. Sure, it can be "pushed"...but that is about it. The flavor is not really there, it gets hidden by limitations and advantages.

Also, Hero combat is SO crunchy, it works great for small numbers...but anything more than 12 combatants really eats up time. I have a friend who could do it easily, but I'm not tthat kinda GM. Despite really liking Hero.

d20, even with a bunch of house rules, just did not work at all for me. I don't care for levels, hit points or the fact that you cannot really build the character that you want.

Savage Worlds is very fast, and fairly loose. I have to make up a lot of the magic, allowing me to get the flavor that I want in tthere. It is a snap to make up combatants quickly. I've run battles with 20+ combatants and can get close to that Conan holding off hordes kinda feel. But SW is lethal. All it takes is one good roll and PCs can easily die. They HAVE to fight smart...something I also like for this world.

Storn, I just wanted to say what I'm sure you've heard a billion times before (and I'm also sure you'll never get sick of hearing); that's some seriously great stuff. I enjoy the sense of style and the realism that gets put into the art you do. The fact that the art seems born of personality, not a wardrobe description. Neat stuff, very inspiring. As always.

Keep it up, man.

Ry Stevenson

Actually, you picked up on some things that are very near and dear to me. I really try to work in personality into these drawings. Everything, from hair style, body type, clothes, from the thickness of sword blade or hand gestures, to smile (or lack thereof)...should give the viewer a clue to what the character is like.

IT is why doing illos of characters in my game is sometimes easier than doing private commissions. It is because I've spent time with these characters for a bit.

But the hardest characters to draw, bar none, are my own. Because I have such a SPECIFIC notion of what they look like, it is hard to get that down on paper.

So I appreciate you picking up on that. It is something I work really hard on.

Here is another PC in my Realms game. This is Mahktar, one of the Kholtar Drow. {The Drow, as presented in the FR books, such as Drizz't, do NOT exist in my game, instead it is a race of "uplifted" orcs by Elves and blood magics}

Mahktar weilds the Blood Sabre... a powerful ancestral weapon that can grant him great strength, when the sabre takes life of enemies in the fury of combat.

• 2 months later...