Storn's Fantasy Art, Comics and Doodles

Storn

So, does anyone have any good/bad comments on the History of the Realms? Incomprehensible? Stupifying? Confusing?

I would imagine that much of it IS confusing without the map in front of you. So much of what I do in the REalms is geopolitics. The lay of the land really influences what the heck is going on in trends and nation-states and lack of nations.

Anyway, getting back to pictures. I wanted a jovial, mercurial caravan leader picture for an NPC, and couldn't find one. So this is a quick sketch (about 15 minutes for those who care about such things... busts are easy).

This is Abir Tem Khaloon. "Loon" for short. He wears the 4 jewel mark of a caravan leader of Tethyr merchant class. He is young for such an important role, but was literally born into the caravan life and is quite experienced caravaner, despite his 30 summers.

Originally posted by hong

Dear Storn, please come back to the EN World art forum, all is forgiven. ;)

I have a real problem with EN world remembering my cookies, my password and such. The reason I haven't been posting there is that I have to get a new password each and every time I want to log in. Its ridiculous.

Originally posted by Storn

I have a real problem with EN world remembering my cookies, my password and such. The reason I haven't been posting there is that I have to get a new password each and every time I want to log in. Its ridiculous.

This is a commonly-encountered problem. Make sure your shortcuts are pointing to http://www.enworld.org/forums, and not enworld.cyberstreet.com. That should fix it.

I love the pic of Khadra. IIRC I asked you some time back about doing a commissioned character portrait; what's your schedule looking like...?

Hong, my schedule is pleasently full, but not insane. I don't have any private commissions at the moment, so this is a good time to send one down the line.

Thanks for the tip on En World, see if that gets me in.

Edited: actually, the link you provided, Hong, doesn't seem to work for me. Says the object ain't there. Oh well.

Another NPC for my Realms game, Khadra, a Lost Child of the Cormanthor forest.

Wow, I really like that. She looks like a real person, not exaggerated like fantasy women so often are. In fact, looking through Fantasy Hero, all your women have this quality.

Out of curiousity, do you work from models or photos, or "out of your head?"

As a GM I have little real need for a specific commission, but something I would love is a book of illustrations -- NPCs, castles, taverns, that sort of thing. I really like your NPCs and fantasy scenes. The details seem right to me, in a "yeah that's how I would do it too" kind of way. Anyway, an illustration book would be really cool; pictures that a GM could hold up to show players what an NPC looks like, or which provide a visual "adventure seed". I would be very happy with simple black-and-white sketches. They wouldn't need to be finished in an 'artbook' way, interior art quality or even sketch quality would be great. If the book were spiral bound so you could open it "flat" to a single page, and if each sketch were enlarged to fill a page, it would make a great visual aid. This sort of thing could make it affordable for a GM to acquire multiple NPC and adventure illustrations, be a lot cooler than "everyone flip to page 229," and give you a market for your rougher sketches. A downloadable PDF would work fine, as long as it prints with reasonable quality (sometimes PDF art looks kind of weird.) Really for NPCs that I might only use occasionally I'd much rather buy three cheap books of rough sketches than a single more expensive book of finished art (though that would be cool too).

Anyway, just an idea.

Mike

Unfortunately, for me figures come fairly easy and quick. Backgrounds are a grind. So a book of settings would be very time consuming, not as interesting to me personally (I always engage more if there is a figure and story involved), and I am dubious on if i would actually make any money compared to time sunk in.

As for my women in illustration... it is my intention to do romantic idealization of women (and men) but are not cheesecake.... unless cheesecake, sultry, sexy makes sense fo the character being illustrated. A succubus should be sexually seductive... a female elven warrior, not necessarily so. However, I still try to draw attractive people... it is romanticized view to be sure.

But Khadra and the women in FH are out of my head. Most of my figures are. However I do use reference sometimes.

Unfortunately, for me figures come fairly easy and quick. Backgrounds are a grind. So a book of settings would be very time consuming, not as interesting to me personally (I always engage more if there is a figure and story involved), and I am dubious on if i would actually make any money compared to time sunk in.

A book of nothing but character sketches would be just as cool, even with no backgrounds... :-)

Mike

Originally posted by hong

Hey Alcamtar, haven't I seen you somewhere else before...?

Probably, 'cause I've seen you around too ;). I tend to hang out at whatever board supports the game I'm currently running. In the past I hung around DragonsFoot (as 'Mike'), the PEG Savage Worlds forums, and ENWorld. Lately I've only frequented the Hero forums.

But the name "Alcamtar the Cleaver" is from the original edition of Fantasy Hero, in the writeup of the magical dagger Demons Fang (IIRC). Maybe you saw the name there.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Steve Trustrum

Storn, I can't believe you still have the old version of your web comic up! SHOW OFF MY LETTERING, MISTER!!!! :D

Sorry steve, here is the version that you did the lettering on. folks, Steve was quite nice and did a great lettering job on my webcomic page here...