Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Storn

Storn's Fantasy Art, Comics and Doodles

I have a longtime Fantasy game that used Fantasy Hero at times, although right now, it is using Savage Worlds. I'm also in a 4x a year game, a fantasy world of a different sort using Eden Studios Unisystem. And I woke up in the middle of the night with a story of a fantasy comic in my head that had to be put down on paper. It has nothing to do with any of the games I'm in, but it is still fantasy imagery.

Maybe some of you can find some use for it.

Here is my first page of my webcomic idea.

http://www.stornc.rpggallery.com/new%20off/New%208.07.03/Page%201%20loRes%20F.jpg

And here is my PC for the excellent, once in a while game, that my friend Matt is running called Chalice. Chalice is THEE city and my D'artagnan stand-in Stefan is about to embark on some really dangerous political adventures.

This dude was a request from Matt for a tall, dark swordsman... looks like it could be the Cross's brother. I have no idea who the image is going to eventually be in Chalice, I probably won't like the answer.

Nice stuff, Storn. I am currently ga-ga over my new tablet. I do have a Comment and a question.

Comment: I don't like the typeface on the webcomic. It's thin and spidery and difficult to read. It detracts from the beautiful art.

Question: Are you crazy? Where do you get the time for fun stuff?

Keith "Livin' on 5 hours of sleep" Curtis

Originally posted by keithcurtis

Nice stuff, Storn. I am currently ga-ga over my new tablet. I do have a Comment and a question.

Comment: I don't like the typeface on the webcomic. It's thin and spidery and difficult to read. It detracts from the beautiful art.

Question: Are you crazy? Where do you get the time for fun stuff?

Keith "Livin' on 5 hours of sleep" Curtis

I know, I know... I'm getting lots of flak on the type. I'm seeking alternatives... just please understand that the webcomic is a work in progress.

Originally posted by Storn

Here is a further experimentation in digital over pencil. This was another one of those scenes that woke me up in the middle of the night. And I just had to put to paper.

Is the grey Orc-like figure of the same race as the Evil Horde on the Fantasy HERO cover?

And is he also part of the webcomic storyline?

JG

Originally posted by James Gillen

Is the grey Orc-like figure of the same race as the Evil Horde on the Fantasy HERO cover?

And is he also part of the webcomic storyline?

JG

Not intentionally. And probably not. Just a seperate image.

Now. This is a doodle. So all ye art directors out there, this is not indicative of the finals that I can do. This was a quickie 10 min doodle at the last minute for a squire Npc for Roland, Purple Dragon of Cormyr.

But I always kinda liked it. So, I colored the silly thing. Squires seem like a fairly common archtype, maybe someone can get some use of it. Anyway, Tal here has become more important of an NPC as the story unfolds. Time he got some color treatment.

enjoy.

Originally posted by tkdguy

Thank you for sharing your art with us, Storn. Is it okay if I borrow some of it for visual aids? Strictly personal use, not commercial, I promise.

That is precisely why I post it. If you have some use for it in a private game, swipe it!

note: if folks want it for a website or publication, I should be consulted. Just so y'all know, I have no problem with my artwork on websites as long as I get credit and there is a link to my homepage. It is advertising that has paid off for me in the past.

Very nice, all of it. I wish I could do a 10-minute sketch that looks that good. :-) Also I love black & white, and your pencil sketches are great!

FWIW, I like the typeface on the webcomic, it's easy to read on a computer screen. Overly artsy fonts on webcomics are hard to read and distract from the art.

Mike

Originally posted by Alcamtar

Very nice, all of it. I wish I could do a 10-minute sketch that looks that good. :-) Also I love black & white, and your pencil sketches are great!

FWIW, I like the typeface on the webcomic, it's easy to read on a computer screen. Overly artsy fonts on webcomics are hard to read and distract from the art.

Mike

1st. Not all my sketches look that good. There is a reason I colored that particular one... it had a charm that is perfect for the character. Most of my sketches are not worthy of show.

2nd. Givin' credit where credit is due. I did not come up with that typeface or do the lettering the 2nd go around. Steve Conan Trustum came in and helped me out. Lettering is an art form that I have not even begun to dabble in. I have no idea on how to tackle. Steve was kind enuff to step in and give that page a good work over.

Thanks Storn, it's much appreciated. Just wanted to make sure you didn't mind.

Hey, thanks for asking... I appreciate that.

Do you do very much colouring work digitally, or do you stick primarily with traditional media?

All of my cards for AEG's Legend of the Five Rings and Warlord are traditional paint. When I do inks, it is traditional.. not digital. But a lot of my character sketches and about 3/4 of my commissions are done digitally. The digital style that I have for supers in my commissions is usally traditional inking, scanned in and then the sorta slick digital color.

Fantasy commissions I tend to do "digital watercolor" over pencils. Because there is a softer feel. The web comic is that technique. I just like that it is a bit more sensative... slick is not something I want in the digital realm when it comes to fantasy art. Supers, yes.

Some of the supers that are digitally colored over pencils are my own characters, usually sketched in my sketch book at the game itself. I can't help but doodle. The reason the whole digital watercolor technique came about was that the paper quality of my sketch book is not good enough to ink on... the ink bleeds. What a mundane reason! But true. I still wanted to do color for those sketches... so boom, lots of layers, multiply settings in Photoshop and I got this style out of it.

You've done it again, this why you are favorite RPG artist currently works your work is as always superb.

Good lord man, there are much more talented artists in this field than me. But still, its nice to hear.

Good lord man, all artist (except the arrogant ones) say that there are more talented artist out there in their paticular field, it' might even be true. I know the feeling (I'm a composer) :). But I look at your work for the type of art you do, which is one of my favorite asthetics (the clean clear lined, comic-esque style) and I can't off the top of my head think of anyone's art I like better. That's all I'm sayin'.