Switching Places

revxopher

Alrighty, I've got a poser for you guys, not quite sure on how to go about this one.

Okay, so the idea behind the power is that its a defensive teleportation ability that allows you to switch places with someone that is about to get hit. So that in an instant you are standing where your ally was and your ally is now where you were, and as a result you are the target for whatever attack was about to hit them. I figure this power needs the ability to Abort to suddenly do this. I'm not overly clear on teleportation so I figured I'd toss it up on the forum.

- revxopher :king:

Re: Switching Places

Hmm. The actual mechanical effect is a switchround. The other mechanical effect is that you get hit instead of someone else.

Why do you want to do something as difficult rather than simply teleporting the person out of the way - 1" to the left or right would be a much better result for both of you! :)

The second idea could be done a number of ways but the main idea would be to avoid the attack and so could be missile deflection or direct teleportation or a number of things.

You are looking for something much different.

As a GM I might be reaching toward an EDM Dive for cover here....Sean? :)

Doc

Teleport UAA, and a Triggered Teleport that moved your character in place.

You would need a held action so you could use it to abort someone’s attack in motion before it connected to your target.

End result, you get hit instead of target and the enemy loses his attack on you.

I think Doc's on the right path.

Teleport UAA Only to position I was standing, trigger = Successful Dive for Cover roll also using teleport.

So you dive for cover using teleport to absorb the attack and the attack's original target is teleported to where you were standing

I believe this is covered in the Ultimate Speedster...
Originally in UNTIL Superpowers Database II. In both cases the power in question is called "Trading Spaces." The character with this ability would be able to Abort to it, in much the same way that one can Abort to Interpose using any Movement Power.

This is basically like leaping into the way of an incoming attack to save a friend. thwere is already a mechanism for that: you can abort into the path of the attack (with GM permission). You could use abort and teleport to imterpose yourself in the way of an attack anyway, but this goes one futher, removing your target completely from the attack area. Well here is the power that enables the maneuvre:

SwapPort

60 1) Teleportation 10", Usable As Attack (+1), Trigger (Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time, Trigger resets automatically, immediately after it activates; +1) (60 Active Points) 6

20 2) Teleportation 10", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (30 Active Points); Linked (Teleportation; -1/2) 0

Note this could also be used to bring someone into a line of fire but NOT as an abort action: you cannot abort to an attack. In fact that is why we had to have the attack triggered - so that you could use it with an abort.

SwapPort

60 1) Teleportation 10", Usable As Attack (+1), Trigger (Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time, Trigger resets automatically, immediately after it activates; +1) (60 Active Points) 6

20 2) Teleportation 10", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (30 Active Points); Linked (Teleportation; -1/2) 0

Hmm. Expensive.

Would you, as a GM, consider simply a triggered TP that would go off when using a normal Usable as an attack TP in an abort manoeuver?

So more like

Teleportation 10", Trigger (Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time, Trigger resets automatically, immediately after it activates; +1)(40 Active Points). The trigger would be using your TP in a Interposing manoeuvre?

Doc

Alrighty, I've got a poser for you guys, not quite sure on how to go about this one.

Okay, so the idea behind the power is that its a defensive teleportation ability that allows you to switch places with someone that is about to get hit. So that in an instant you are standing where your ally was and your ally is now where you were, and as a result you are the target for whatever attack was about to hit them. I figure this power needs the ability to Abort to suddenly do this. I'm not overly clear on teleportation so I figured I'd toss it up on the forum.

- revxopher :king:

From the description of the power it sounds like an attack must be launched. If it is an attack then you can not abort to it so to use it defensively you will need a held action to launch it. Teleport UAA w/ triggered Teleport seems to perform the task with these constraints imposed on the design.

Oh, dont forget to add limited range on the UAA power to match the triggered teleport.

Hmm. Expensive.

Would you, as a GM, consider simply a triggered TP that would go off when using a normal Usable as an attack TP in an abort manoeuver?

So more like

Teleportation 10", Trigger (Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time, Trigger resets automatically, immediately after it activates; +1)(40 Active Points). The trigger would be using your TP in a Interposing manoeuvre?

Doc

It is expensive, but then it is not an attack action, it is a movement action :) You can use it to swap yourself into the way of harm incoming on someone else but also to swap them into the way of harm incoming on you and still have an attack action that phase. The other advantage of it being a non-attack action is that a GM should let you abort to it as an interposing maneouvre. I did build it the other way too, but it simply was not that useful; you had to use it as an attack, which required a held or avaiable phase - you can not abort to an attack, and that was a requirement of the original poster.

An interposition in itself will not

From the description of the power it sounds like an attack must be launched. If it is an attack then you can not abort to it so to use it defensively you will need a held action to launch it. Teleport UAA w/ triggered Teleport seems to perform the task with these constraints imposed on the design.

Oh, dont forget to add limited range on the UAA power to match the triggered teleport.

Arguably if the UAA TP triggers when you TP into the space occupied bys omeone but before any damage is done you do not need range - that is provided by (in effect) you moving to the target and then UAA TPing them away - it just looks instantaneous.

It is expensive, but then it is not an attack action, it is a movement action :) You can use it to swap yourself into the way of harm incoming on someone else but also to swap them into the way of harm incoming on you and still have an attack action that phase. The other advantage of it being a non-attack action is that a GM should let you abort to it as an interposing maneouvre. I did build it the other way too, but it simply was not that useful; you had to use it as an attack, which required a held or avaiable phase - you can not abort to an attack, and that was a requirement of the original poster.

An interposition in itself will not

I probably wasn't clear.

Mr Teleport gets around a lot. He uses TP to do that. If he uses TP in a dive for cover manouevre then he can trigger an otherwise unusable TP that moves the beneficiary of the dive for cover to where he had been standing.

Now, what I was asking was, if you have already bought the movement TP would you allow the triggered TP to be bought UAA??

It simply saves points as I am not then purchasing a movement TP that can only be used in the switching places manouevre...

Doc

I probably wasn't clear.

Mr Teleport gets around a lot. He uses TP to do that. If he uses TP in a dive for cover manouevre then he can trigger an otherwise unusable TP that moves the beneficiary of the dive for cover to where he had been standing.

Now, what I was asking was, if you have already bought the movement TP would you allow the triggered TP to be bought UAA??

It simply saves points as I am not then purchasing a movement TP that can only be used in the switching places manouevre...

Doc

So, using the DFC for interposition?

You could certainly limit the triggered UAA (and thus make it cheaper) so that it only goes off when you successfully use DFC to interpose yourself in the way of the attack (but I might make you buy the UAA TP at 0 END then). That might be a -1 or even more. Of course, as GM, I might want to know why it only works when you are throwing yourself in harms way and not, for example, if you want to swap places with someone in a non-threatening situation, or when you are the person under threat.

The build I suggested would not restrict you to swapping places with a person: the target of the triggered UAA (which, in my build, always goes off) could be that empty space over there. The air occupying that space is teleported to fill the space I was occupying as I teleport over. Excellent justification for adding IPE too, if you can stand the cost :)