2 u) Armor +10 PD +10 ED

2 u) EB 8d6, Variable Special Effects [Heat Vision/Cold Breath] (+1/4),

Variable Limitations [beam Attack and No KNB for Heat Vision or

Extra Time: Delayed Phase and Not in a Vacuum for Cold Breath]

(-1/4), 2x END (-1/2)

1 u) ES: Hearing PER +2, Telescopic Hearing +2, Ultrasonic Hearing

1 u) ES: N-Ray Vision, Not Through Lead

1 u) ES: Sight PER +2, Telescopic Sight +4

2 u) Flight 10", Variable Advantage (+1/2), Megascale or Reduced END (-1/4), OIHID (-1/4)

2 u) Healing: Regeneration 3 BODY/TURN

2 u) SPD +3

2 u) STR +30, No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), No END (+1/2)

5 Damage Resistance 5 PD 5 ED

9 LS: High Pressure, High Radiation, Intense Cold, Intense Heat,

Low Pressure/Vacuum

Total Powers Cost: 93

Total Cost: 250

150+ Disadvantages

10 DNPC: Lois Lane (Normal) 8-

5 Hunted: Lex Luthor (Less Powerful) 8-

20 PsyL: Code Against Killing (Common/Total)

20 PsyL: Heroic (Common/Total)

10 PsyL: In Love with Lois Lane (Uncommon/Strong)

15 SocL: Secret Identity [Clark Kent] (Frequently/Major]

15 Suscept: Kryptonite, 3d6 STUN/Minute (Uncommon)

5 Vulnerability: Magic, 1 1/2x STUN (Uncommon)

Total Disadvantages Cost: 250

DC 250 Superman Explaination

This Superman is as powerful as I could make him for 250 Points. With the bonus from the Multipower he had STR 80, or a SPD 7, or a PD 40 ED 35.

The idea is that we've seen Superman do a lot of things, but rarely all at the same time. My thinking is that he is limited by the speed of thought, and must make a conscious decision on how best to channel the solar energy that his kryptonian cells absorb.

The limits on her Armor and Multipower receive only a -1/4 bonus because kryptonite doesn't effect him when he's exposed to Red Solar Radiation.

The way I see the kryponite effecting him is in the same hex it's 3d6, one hex away 2d6, and two hexes away it's 1d6. I gave him a minute because it takes time for it to knock him out and kill him, long enough for him to figure some way of escaping.

I welcome your comments.

Re: DC 250 "Superman"

I've been working along similar lines, although I was going with 5th Edition.

Here is the only thing I have a problem with:

40 Multipower (50 Points) Does Not Work During Exposure to Kryptonite

or Red Solar Radiation (-1/4)

1 u) ES: Hearing PER +2, Telescopic Hearing +2, Ultrasonic Hearing

1 u) ES: N-Ray Vision, Not Through Lead

1 u) ES: Sight PER +2, Telescopic Sight +4

Of course, Superman's enhanced senses and life support are the things that set him off from other characters built on the same point totals. I just don't like putting enhanced senses in a multipower.

I was thinking this afternoon that a lot of the problem with building low point versions of published characters relate to who they are going to be teamed with.

Batman (and Green Arrow, and other "non-powered" characters) mixes with anybody. He can team up with an equal point Superman, and nobody would care.

On the other hand, mixing Superman with equal point powerhouse characters, like, say, the Flash and Green Lantern is not a good idea. For different reasons, these characters will be "better" than Superman to a degree that they shouldn't be. In Flash's case, it's because he does part of what Superman does, but not all of it, resulting in him having more points to allocate to what he does, and not having to allocate things to what he doesn't do. In GL's case (I'm thinking Hal Jordan here, for no good reason), he has the benefit of an extra limitation - his ring - and a comparable limitation to Superman's Kryptonite problem - his weakness against the colour yellow. In effect, he will end up being built on more points.

In short, mixing Superman with these characters is a bad idea. He won't be able to shine. Mixing him with Batman, on the other hand, would work just fine. World's Finest, for the win!

I have to confess that my 350 point versions of Superman/Superboy are more satisfactory than my 250 point versions at the moment. On the other hand, I have a couple of interesting possibilities sitting in my notebook...

One thing I am considering is building a version of Superboy based on Superboy: the Comic Book. I acquired a couple of issues cheaply, and the character protrayed in there is... interesting... And he is indisputably Superboy.

Some other obvious low point DC characters include the Doom Patrol and the original Teen Titans. These would work just fine, without any significant application of cheese.

Re: Dc 250

I know those of us who started out with previous editions are used to enhanced senses not being allowed in Multipowers, but the current rules do allow it, and the Champions Rule book does have examples of such in the Checklist Hero Multipower.

I know those of us who started out with previous editions are used to enhanced senses not being allowed in Multipowers' date=' but the current rules do allow it, and the Champions Rule book does have examples of such in the Checklist Hero Multipower.[/quote']

It's legal, of course. Actually, I checked all the earlier editions, and the whole thing wasn't even mentioned prior to 4th edition. 4th pretty much handled it the same way as 5th, as a GM's option case.

And, of course, there are examples of it occurring inpublished (5th Ed)characters. In most cases they involved focussed powers, but there is also Meteorman. On the other hand, there are lots and lots of characters that aren't built this way.

I'm still inclined to avoid the situation in most cases, but there can be exceptions.

my only real problem with the write up is that he should have some flight out of his MP

Absolutely not! It would, however, be a good idea for him to use experience to convert his non-megascale flight slot to a multi slot, and boost the base sufficiently for him to use some of his flight alongside another slot. That would have a similar effect, and is a natural progression of the character.

my only real problem with the write up is that he should have some flight out of his MP

Actually, that may not be necessary. Looking more closely at the multipower, the basic flight only uses up 20 points of the multipower and the megascale flight uses up 25 points of the multipower. This means that he can use some of the other slots (either the enhanced senses, the superspeed, or the superstrength) while using the basic flight. I'd be tempted to say knock the megascale flight down to 8 inches so it only takes up 20 points of the multipower and thus can do the same things.

He cannot, however, do anything else in the multipower while using the heat vision/freeze breath slot.

What this character may wish to do with his XP is expand the multipower reserve so he can do more things simultaneously.

Kelcyron

Absolutely not! It would' date=' however, be a good idea for him to use experience to convert his non-megascale flight slot to a multi slot, and boost the base sufficiently for him to use some of his flight alongside another slot. That would have a similar effect, and is a natural progression of the character.[/quote']

Actually, that may not be necessary. Looking more closely at the multipower, the basic flight only uses up 20 points of the multipower and the megascale flight uses up 25 points of the multipower. This means that he can use some of the other slots (either the enhanced senses, the superspeed, or the superstrength) while using the basic flight. I'd be tempted to say knock the megascale flight down to 8 inches so it only takes up 20 points of the multipower and thus can do the same things.

He cannot, however, do anything else in the multipower while using the heat vision/freeze breath slot.

What this character may wish to do with his XP is expand the multipower reserve so he can do more things simultaneously.

Kelcyron

Well, you could drop both slots and add

10" Flight Variable Advantage as a multi slot, you could still use megascale, plus 1/2 endurance when you are just chilling, or even difficult to dispell... lots of options...

Based on Kelcyron and JMoz excellent comments I adjusted Superman by turning his Flight into a Variable Advantage (+1/2), Megascale or Reduced END Only (-1/4), and OIHID (-1/4) (Clark Kent wouldn't fly anyway to preserve his secret identity)

This gave me two points to give him a CK: Smallville 11-

A word about tactics. The Man of Steel would fly into action with his Armor at Maximum, and the see is he should close to use his strength, or his heat vision/cold breath. He would not use his maximum strength against an unknown target, and should start any attack at 20 STR and then increase as necessary.

Normally I stick to a 12d6/30 Defense character, but Superman is a special case, and should have higher stats. His vulnerability to red solar radiation and kryptonite balance this out.

DC 250 "Supergirl"

Supergirl

Val Char Cost

50 STR 40

18 DEX 24

25 CON 30

12 BODY 4

13 INT 3

11 EGO 2

15 PRE 5

20 COM 5

15 PD 5

10 ED 5

4 SPD 12

15 REC 0

50 END 0

50 STUN 0

Total Characteristics Cost: 135

Cost Skills

2 CK: Argo City 11-

2 CK: Midvale 11-

2 KS: Krypton 11-

Total Skills Cost: 6

Cost Powers

24 Armor +10 PD +10 ED, Not During Exposure to Kryptonite or

Red Solar Radiation (-1/4)

5 Damage Resistance 5 PD 5 ED

12 EC (Solar Energy)-15 Points, Not During Exposure to Kryptonite or

17 1) EB 8d6, Variable Special Effect [Heat Vision and Cold Breath]

(+1/4), Variable Limitations [beam Attack and No KNB for

Heat Vision or Extra Time: Delayed Phase and Not in a Vacuum

for Cold Breath] (-1/4), 2x END (-1/2)

9 2) Flight 10", Variable Advantages (+1/2), Megascale or

Reduced END Only (-1/4), OIHID (-1/4)

9 3) STR +20, No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), No END (+1/2)

18 ES: N-Ray Vision [Not Through Lead], Perception +1,

Telescopic Hearing & Sight +2, Ultrasonic Hearing,

Does Not Work During Exposure to Kryptonite or

6 Healing: Regeneration 1 BODY/Turn, Does Not Work During Exposure

to Kryptonite or Red Solar Radiation (-1/4)

Low Pressure/Vacuum

Total Powers Cost: 109

100+ Disadvantages

10 DNPC: Jimmy Olsen (Normal/Useful Skills/Unaware Secret ID)

5 Hunted: Brainiac (Less Powerful) 8-

15 PsyL: Heroic (Common/Strong)

15 PsyL: Need to Prove Herself (Common/Strong)

15 SocL: Secret Identity [Linda Lee Danvers] (Frequently/Major)

15 Suscept: Kryptonite, 3d6 STUN/Minute (Uncommon)

5 Vuln: Magic, 1 1/2x STUN (Uncommon)

This version of Supergirl is a lowered powered version of Superman, but she can use all of her powers. The only thing she lacks is the increase in speed that Superman can manage, and the extra armor. The lack of skills reflect that the character from 1959 through 1985 never had much of a steady career (Orphen, High School Student, College Student, Television Reporter, Soap Opera Actress, and Graduate Student in that order). This version is a college student, and is based in Midvale, Illiniois (Not from from Metropolis, Illinois.)

I wanted her to have simular powers, but a different structure, hense the uses of an Elemental Control versus the Multipower. While Superman is much more powerful Supergirl she can hold her own against most villains in most 250 level campaigns, and has a strength of 70.

Brainiac and Jimmy Olsen are in her disadvantages because I couldn't put them in Superman, and thought they should be mentioned.

Power Girl uses Supergirl's character with the following changes

COM 18

Computer Programming 12-

PS: Software Designer 11-

DF: Cleveage Window (ECon/Noticed)

Hunted: Enemies of the Justice Society of America (Less Powerful) 8-

Secret Identity: Karen Starr

A thought on building Superman etc: these characters are actually supposed to be more powerful than their colleagues, but often get "Worfed" when they team up with them.

One way of simulating this might be to give them greater than normal disadvantage totals, so that, for example, in a setting where most heroes are built on 150 base + 100 disads, they could be built on 150 + 150 (or even 150 + 200 - but see next sentence). If the extra disads are chosen correctly, they could have the effect of limiting the characters sufficiently that they don't always outshine the other heroes, while allowing the occasional "Gosh! Wow!" moment. On the other hand, if they are chosen poorly, they could merely result in the campaign becoming all about the character(s) in question, with their Hunteds, DNPCs and so on turning up every single scenario...

All of this would require a GM who knew what they were doing, as well as a player who trusted the GM, and was willing to go along with being Worfed every couple of scenarios.

Not an easy situation to arrange.

(Personally, I'm looking at building Fawcett's Bulletman... Nice cheap, simple and tough).

DC 250 "Power Girl"

Power GirlVal Char Cost50 STR 4018 DEX 2425 CON 3012 BODY 413 INT 311 EGO 220 PRE 1020 COM 525 PD 1525 ED 20 5 SPD 22Total Characteristics Cost: 173Cost Skills 3 Computer Programming 12- 3 PS[iNT]: Software Designer 12-Total Skills Cost: 3Cost Powers25 Damage Resistance 25 PD 25ED15 EC (Solar Radiation)-15 Points12 1) Flight 10", Variable Advantage (+1/2), Megascale or 1/2 END Only (-1/4)10 2) STR +20, No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), No END (+1/2) 9 LS: High Pressure, High Radiation, Intense Cold, Intense Heat, Low Pressure/VacuumTotal Powers Cost: 71Total Cost: 250150+ Disadvantages10 DNPC: Matt Cable (Normal/Useful Skills/Unaware Secret ID) 8- 5 DF: Blonde Bombshell (ECon/Noticed)10 Hunted: Enemies of the Justice Society of America (As Powerful) 8-15 PsyL: Agressive (Common/Strong)20 PsyL: Code Against Killing (Common/Total)15 PsyL: Protective of Innocents (Common/Strong)15 SocL: Secret Identity [Karen Starr] (Frequently/Major) 5 Suscept: Kryptonite, 1d6 STUN/Minute (Uncommon) 5 Vuln: Magic, 1 1/2x STUN (Uncommon)Total Disadvantages Cost: 250

DC 250 "Power Girl"

Power Girl

Val Char Cost

50 STR 40

18 DEX 24

25 CON 30

12 BODY 4

13 INT 3

11 EGO 2

20 PRE 10

18 COM 4

25 PD 15

25 ED 20

5 SPD 22

15 REC 0

50 END 0

50 STUN 0

Total Characteristics Cost: 174

Cost Skills

3 Computer Programming 12-

2 PS: Software Designer 11-

Total Skills Cost: 5

Cost Powers

25 Damage Resistance 25 PD 25 ED

15 EC (Solar Energy)-15 Points

12 1) Flight 10", Variable Advantage (+1/2), Megascale or Reduced END

Only (-1/4)

10 2) STR +20, No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), No End (+1/2)

Low Pressure/Vacuum

Total Powers Cost: 71

150+ Disadvantages

10 DNPC: Matt Cable (Normal/Useful Skills/Unaware Secret ID) 8-

5 DF: Blonde Bombshell (ECon/Noticed)

10 Hunted: Enemies of the Justice Society of America (As Powerful) 8-

15 PsyL: Overconfident (Common/Strong)

15 PsyL: Protective of Innocents (Common/Strong)

15 SocL: Secret Identity [Karen Starr] (Frequently/Major)

5 Suscept: Kryptonite, 1d6 STUN/Minute (Uncommon)

5 Vuln: Magic, 1 1/2x STUN (Uncommon)

Re: Dc 250 Power Girl

Power Girl is a superstrong and invulnerable flying brick. While she is kryptonian, the current PG does not have x-ray vision, heat vision, or supercold breath. I gave her a susceptibility to kryptonite, but it doesn't effect her powers because she's from a krypton from another universe.

This version has a total of STR 70 and a SPD 5. Handle with care.

Personally' date=' I'm looking at building Fawcett's Bulletman... Nice cheap, simple and tough.[/quote']

Don't forget Bulletgirl' date=' Assault.[/quote']

Funny, I could see where Susan Kent liked her man to be simple and tough, but I didn't think she liked it when Jim was cheap.