Mac compatible?

Pattern Ghost

Ok, I know there was a FAQ or something on their website about this, but I'm unable to find it. Since I don't own a Mac, I didn't really pay attention to whether the game was compatible or not when I did find that info.

However, I'm going to be getting a new 24" iMac with a dual core cpu, 4g of RAM, and a geForce 8800 video card, in about a week or two. I've already decided to get the game, so I'm thinking I may just get it for the Mac since my PC blows chunks in comparison. (22" screen, but an athlon 64 3200 w/1.25g of RAM and a geForce 6600)

So, anyone know if the new machine will play it? Or am I going to end up with the X-Box 360 version?

Re: Mac compatible?

Ok, I know there was a FAQ or something on their website about this, but I'm unable to find it. Since I don't own a Mac, I didn't really pay attention to whether the game was compatible or not when I did find that info.

However, I'm going to be getting a new 24" iMac with a dual core cpu, 4g of RAM, and a geForce 8800 video card, in about a week or two. I've already decided to get the game, so I'm thinking I may just get it for the Mac since my PC blows chunks in comparison. (22" screen, but an athlon 64 3200 w/1.25g of RAM and a geForce 6600)

So, anyone know if the new machine will play it? Or am I going to end up with the X-Box 360 version?

I haven't heard anything about supported OS's so far. City of Heroes was mac friendly, City of Villians wasn't, IIRC.

Still, options are improving. You can always install Bootcamp and Xp if you have to, and Cider is doing a pretty cool job of bringing windows games to the mac - I've been playing a functional beta of Dawn of War, Dark Crusade on my mac laptop for the last month, without windows installed and it performs flawlessly (if you ignore the fact that the quit button still says "quit to windows" :D)

cheers, Mark

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

From the "About Champions" page at http://www.champions-online.com:

"Powered by the groundbreaking Cryptic Engine, Champions Online will be developed for both Xbox™ 360 and PC formats."

Oh well, I get to save money then. I have parallels, but if it ain't native, then I'll pass. Until they decide to give Mac (or PS3, my preferred game machine) a go, they'll just pass on my money (like they'll notice :rolleyes:).

I guess they don't want the Linux market either.

Now I'm curious about market demographics and online subscribers. Of course, if you never make games for a demographic, then they'll never show up. Catch-22.

I talked to one of the guys at GenCon. His basic stance was "We don't have a Mac development team in place. So we'd rather not do a Mac version than do a bad Mac version."

Having played some half working extremely poor Mac ports of games in the past - I'll take that as more than acceptable.

I talked to one of the guys at GenCon. His basic stance was "We don't have a Mac development team in place. So we'd rather not do a Mac version than do a bad Mac version."

Having played some half working extremely poor Mac ports of games in the past - I'll take that as more than acceptable.

Meaning, "we don't want to have to hire one".

Well, I am absolutely useless at computer games anyway. I like the Sims 2 series. Maybe 10 years ago I'd have been more excited about it. Still prefer pen and paper tabletop gaming in the long run, but I think this is an exciting project for Superhero gaming enough to make sure I tell people about it and get them thinking about it.

You could always run Windows via Boot Camp. Then it would be native. That's probably what I'll do (if I don't use Champions Online as an excuse to buy an XBox360... ;))

I meant native original system. I can run XP, Linux, and whatever else this thing can run, but it's not my main system. That's what I mean. I have to use Windows at work, and I have a few programs that need it at home, but I do not really like using it. Of course, I prefer consoles for games, I have better things for my computer (unless I could get the ps2-style gamepad to work).

The other problem I have is that I hate paying monthly fees; I share the internet, and hogging it for a game is not something I like; and I'm not very social online - unless I know you (except in forums like this), leave me alone. I almost tried the Everquest for PS2, but there was a problem putting in my card so I never did. If I could be a solo hero, that would be fine. If I have to rely on others...I'm not really interested.

But if the game helps bring people to Hero, I'm all for it.

Well, I've been thinking about installing Windows on my Mac via bootcamp....but I don't know if I want to sully this machine with any Microsoft products. I'm beefing up my old PC a bit to run Warhammer (just upgraded video card b/c old one died, and adding some RAM to it to max it out), so that may work fine for CoH.

On the other hand, the 360 controller seems like it'd work find for an MMO. The d-pad can be used as a "wheel" to select 8 abilities. Using shoulder or other buttons to "shift" that, and you can get quite a few abilities bound to the wheel. I don't think it'll be hard to come up with a sound MMO control scheme at all, after having played with the 360 a bit. So, I may just get it on 360. If I don't like the 360 version, I could try it on the PC. The only reservation I have about the 360 is trying to chat, but I suppose a USB keyboard will work. I have no desire to use the voice option for general chatting in an MMO.

Speaking of which: Does anyone know if a wireless keyboard would work on a 360? I can't see why not, but that doesn't mean anything. =P

The other problem I have is that I hate paying monthly fees; I share the internet' date=' and hogging it for a game is not something I like; [/quote']

All of the MMOs in existence are designed for those on a 56k modem to be able to play. I can play WoW or EQ and be downloading files off Apple or Youtube with no noticeable change in performance of those sites.

All of the MMOs in existence are designed for those on a 56k modem to be able to play. I can play WoW or EQ and be downloading files off Apple or Youtube with no noticeable change in performance of those sites.

Well, maybe you're on a faster pipe. (or it's CoX) I can cause noticeable lag with CoX if something big is downloaded. And have actually caused crashes in the client.