Resurrection Man, any ideas?

spike4887

i've recently picked up several copies of Dc/Vertigo Resurrection Man... and i'm trying to model a power system off of him... i'm having some trouble working it out however. I basically want it to work like the comic... My character dies, then comes back (after some time) with a different superpower...

My character is a gadgeteer/martialist. but has the basic super power or Resurrection Man...

so, any advice?

Re: Resurrection Man, any ideas?

i've recently picked up several copies of Dc/Vertigo Resurrection Man... and i'm trying to model a power system off of him... i'm having some trouble working it out however. I basically want it to work like the comic... My character dies, then comes back (after some time) with a different superpower...

My character is a gadgeteer/martialist. but has the basic super power or Resurrection Man...

so, any advice?

I'm unfamiliar w/ the character but it sounds like a variation on Croyd Crenson / the Sleeper.

Anyway, you could probably model this with a Multiform. Each form has a separate power. The character can only change form on death of another form. Which form they change to is randomized. You could even defer making the new forms until needed and use a randomizer to generate the new form upon death of the old. The base character, the one with the multiform, is never actually "out".

Build a base person good stats all around then a large VPP only changes upon death,no conscience control(have your group submit themes and have your GM give your powers

an MP for for defences only can change upon death

and maybe an mp for movement also

so, any advice?

so, any advice?

Only slightly tongue-in-cheek: make a character. Have him die. Make a new character. The rest is special effects.

+10 Body, Invisble (+1/2)

5D6 Healing, 0 End, Persistant, +10 active points max, Self Only, only when at -10 Body (-2)

Variable Power Pool (lots) -- Only changes when "Dies", no control over what powers gained.

(Disadvantage)

Phsyical Limitation: "Dies" after losing 20 Body damage. (Infrequent, greatly limiting) ... remains "Dead" until at full Body again.

This gives you a person with 10 Body who "Dies" at -10 Body, properly, but has the ability to heal himself, then get up with a new power set. He can recover from "Dead" (-10 Body) to "Fine" (10 Body) in just a few phases, thanks to his Healing, but if he's damaged quite badly (Say, has taken 30 Body total), it takes a few more days to get back up. His invisble Body acts as an overflow buffer ... If he takes 20 Body, he "dies", but is actually at 0 Body, which is when his Healing will activate, keeping him from bleeding to True Death.

A bit fudgey, but still works. Look out for things like drowning, disintegration, or being burned to ash ... he doesn't really get up from these too well, tho, in *theory* once he hits 20 Body damage and 'dies', he could develop powers that make him immune to the current condition (Waterbreathing, +20 ED armor to Fire Only, etc), depending.

Regeneration from Death

VPP, only Multiforms, NCC on control pool (only changes on death with powers of new body determined based on method of death and random factors outside the player's control).

This is one of those concepts that depends heavily on the writing, however. There is a continuum here, running between:

- no control by player; GM picks the powers entirely

and

- player decides abilities of new form, but character lacks any control over these abilities (just like the player decided that the cosmic rays transformed his character into a sludge monster, while the character wants nothing more than to return to his normal human form)

Put all the control in the GM's hands and there's often frustration all round - the GM dislikes the extra work and the player comes to resent the GM's decisions.

This would work very well in a solo game (and Mitch was never a team player...) where the GM can provide powers that are specifically useful to deal with the challenges, but still leaves them challenging.

So I'm not familier with the character - it sounds like we're talking the Time Lord capital R regeneration (as opposed to the little r regeneration where you simply heal) ALA Doctor Who, completely swapping personality, skill set and looks upon the character's death?

First, No it's not quite like timelord regeneration, more like Captain Jack, just getting back up. Except that this character as superpowers, and they change every time that he resurrects. Other than that, and the fact that he once woke up as a woman because he needed a higher pain tolerance, he's the same everytime, just more suited to his situation.

First, buy resurrection only healing, and make the 'one true death' rely on something continuous, like having a weapon left in the heart or brain. That way, even if true death comes, the character can be resurrected if someone else pulls it out.

Secondly, yeah, a variable power pool with the limitation that it only changes when you die is good.

Alternately, a kind of summon, which summons the resurrected self with new powers and expends the old self as a one shot focus/charge.

OR Develop a suite of powers that work together. This is best for high point games. Try an always on desolid (to represent the intangible 'character'-ness that remains even if the character's previous body is ash in the wind, with summon (to represent the character´s current body). Then give the character mind control, only against the follower, and give the character a 0point disad of vulnerability to mind control from the character. Use summon to summon a slightly different new form every time the current one dies.