Dead or mostly dead

Tech

For 'Simulate Death', it mentions that your breathing and other life rates are basically 1/10 of normal. What happens if someone using Simulate Death falls/gets thrown into a pool, lake or ocean? Worse yet, a sponge? Kidding. Does the person take 10 times longer to drown? Do they drown at all, though I assume they eventually would? Assuming the drowning, how long would it take; assume a 6 SPD if that matters at all.

Finally, if I want someone with SD (assuming he would drown) to be able to survive a very long time (hours) underwater, would you suggest Life Support or something else?

I would say yes. It takes a person 10 times longer to drown when they are simulating death as it does normally.

I would also say that (gradual effect) poisons affect the character over 10 times as long a period as normal. Simulate death can therefore be used, in some genres and with proper special effects, to rush someone to the hospital for treatment before they suffer the full effects of a poison.

For that matter, if you're using the bleeding rules, you can slow bleeding down to 1/10th normal, and take extra time on that Paramedic roll to save their life. Lots of good things can be done with this power, other than just freak out your friends....

If you want to simulate the "drowning" effect while using Simulate Death I wouldn't use LS: Self-Contained Breathing. I would use LS: Extended Breathing. One level should be enough for 10 times slower (loose 1 END per TURN), but I would go for two level, where you suffer END usage every minute.

Just make sure the character in question doesn't have 60 END! :D

Originally posted by Captain Obvious

For that matter, if you're using the bleeding rules, you can slow bleeding down to 1/10th normal, and take extra time on that Paramedic roll to save their life. Lots of good things can be done with this power, other than just freak out your friends....

Oooh! Simulate Death Usable Against Others! I love it!

"I'm going to put him in a death-like stance so he doesn't die on the way to the hospital."

"Have you done this before?"

"Well. Yes. On myself. Not in emergency. No. Look, I'm all for better ideas, but he's leaking like a sieve."

"Will he die?"

"Probably. Most likely. Here hold this."

"Like this?"

"Hold it quietly. I'm shutting down his organs and I should do so in the correct order. Humans have only one heart? Hmm, that'll make things easier, I hope. There, he's dead."

"Dead?!?"

"Or 1/10th alive. But I never cared much for fractions. Sort of cheapens the whole coming back to life part doesn't it?"

Originally posted by SirViss

If you want to simulate the "drowning" effect while using Simulate Death I wouldn't use LS: Self-Contained Breathing. I would use LS: Extended Breathing. One level should be enough for 10 times slower (loose 1 END per TURN), but I would go for two level, where you suffer END usage every minute.

Just make sure the character in question doesn't have 60 END! :D

If you use extended breathing in addition to simulate death, the character will take way longer than normal to drown...

It says in the simulate death entry in FREd, "A character simulating death breathes and otherwise functions at 1/10 his normal metabolic rate." Hence, he's already drowning at 1/10 normal, and can therefore stay under for almost an hour even without any increased characteristics.

Unless Steve weighs in and says otherwise, this looks like the way the Talent was meant to be played. You don't need anything extra to delay drowning, etc.

Originally posted by Captain Obvious

If you use extended breathing in addition to simulate death, the character will take way longer than normal to drown...

Sorry man, I was refering to the constrcut that Blue Jogger posted:

Originally posted by Blue Jogger

Advanced Simulate Death

LS: Does not need to eat (3)

LS: Does not need to breathe (10)

LS: Does not need to sleep (3)

LS: Safe in Intense Cold (2)

Life Support Limitations

Concentrate (0 DCV, throughout, partially aware) -1

Linked to Simulate Death -1/2

Total Real Cost: 7 points

I was saying to replace LS: Does Not Breath with LS: Extended Breathing. I dodn't have the book right now, so I assume that there is a Simulate Death talent or some such. So I don't know what the construct i sfor then. If there isn't then you have to say that Extended Breathing probably better fits than Does Not Breath. (Now, i just have to check the book...)

Originally posted by TaxiMan

Seems like a -1/2 limitation "Linked to S.D." is way too low. This construct leaves a character with 0 movement, 0 DCV, and the inability to perform any action. All that's only worth -1/2?

I have no problem with it being -1/2 as Simulate Death leaves you at 0 moment, 0 DCV, etc. already.

SirViss, I'm assuming 1 END/Turn is correct, haven't looked it up yet. At 1/10 life functions then, it'd be 1 END/10 turns or 1 END/2 minutes, correct?

Sorry but I'm at work and only giving some thought to this.

No problem Tech. I'm trying to get my post count up... :D

By Hero rules, if you hold your breath you have to spend 1 END/Phase. With LS: Extended Breathing you can hold your breath for a longer period of time. Each point extends the time by one level on the Time Chart. So 1 level = 1 END/Turn,

2 levels = 1 END/Minute.

Again, by Hero rules, you can reduce your Speed to 2 while holding your breath, and a Turn is 12 secondes, so you normally spend 10 END/Minute, if not doing anything strenuous. So one level of LS: Ex.B. would mean that you would spend 5 END/Minute, and two levels would be 1 END/Minute.

The rules on Holding Your Breath are on FREd p.285, for more info.

Originally posted by Tech

I have no problem with it being -1/2 as Simulate Death leaves you at 0 moment, 0 DCV, etc. already.

Yeah, it's hard to convincingly Simulate Death if you're running around and dodging attacks.

How about this: Simulate Death: Shape Shift to one humanoid form (Death), O END (maybe Persistent)? IDHTBIFOM, is that 15 ap (more if it's persistent)? You could pick if it's Pratchett's Death or Gaiman's Death (although if the latter you should probably by some extra COM).