Gorilla 'mother lode' found in Congo

assault

Re: Gorilla 'mother lode' found in Congo

As it turns out, the Congo is just where the Kingdom of the Apes in the CU is supposed to be located. :cool:

The potential for violence as a result of their discovery would be great. According to Champions Universe: News Of The World, the apes already fear and hate us "Hairless Ones" for various reasons and have been trying to prepare in case of war. On the human side, I would expect the government of the Congo to attempt to assert their sovereignty over the territory, particularly when they learn of the Kingdom's rich diamond lode. Thanks to the efforts of Dr. Silverback the international community seems prepared to recognize the "human" rights of sapient simians like him, but I'm not sure how prepared other nations would be to step in to protect them on Congoese soil.

The course of any conflict would depend on the resources that the apes have available. CU: NOTW suggests that althought ape technology is inferior to that of humans, the apes could discover a "distant Lemurian outpost" and the magitech artifacts left there, which would raise their odds considerably. The text doesn't specify whether said outpost is known to the present day Lemurians; if it were, an actual alliance between the apes and Lemuria would be even more dangerous. Also, the apes' King Simianus is described as "nigh-immortal" and "superhumanly-strong." Their population may include other super-powered members.

Dr. Silverback is the obvious ambassador for any attempt at a negotiated settlement, as the only person that both sides may listen to. If PC heroes have a good relationship with him he may ask them to join him for additional protection, and for any useful Skills or Powers they bring along.

The stealth shielding went down? I blame Grodd.

Yeah - this has Gorilla Army all over it. While there is no Grodd in the baseline Champions universe, surely there is another one (other than Silverback). Maybe Silverback discovers he's really the long lost prince of the Gorilla Kingdom, not an experiment (edit - I just saw that this was mentioned. Bugger me for not reading that closely). Maybe Silverback discovers that he is really the long lost Princess of the Gorilla Amazon Kingdom, and he's really, really, confused by the sex-change?)

As long as no blond-haired kids whose name starts with K show up, it shouldn't be too great a disaster. ;)

As it turns out, the Congo is just where the Kingdom of the Apes in the CU is supposed to be located. :cool:

The potential for violence as a result of their discovery would be great. According to Champions Universe: News Of The World, the apes already fear and hate us "Hairless Ones" for various reasons and have been trying to prepare in case of war. On the human side, I would expect the government of the Congo to attempt to assert their sovereignty over the territory, particularly when they learn of the Kingdom's rich diamond lode. Thanks to the efforts of Dr. Silverback the international community seems prepared to recognize the "human" rights of sapient simians like him, but I'm not sure how prepared other nations would be to step in to protect them on Congoese soil.

The course of any conflict would depend on the resources that the apes have available. CU: NOTW suggests that althought ape technology is inferior to that of humans, the apes could discover a "distant Lemurian outpost" and the magitech artifacts left there, which would raise their odds considerably. The text doesn't specify whether said outpost is known to the present day Lemurians; if it were, an actual alliance between the apes and Lemuria would be even more dangerous. Also, the apes' King Simianus is described as "nigh-immortal" and "superhumanly-strong." Their population may include other super-powered members.

Dr. Silverback is the obvious ambassador for any attempt at a negotiated settlement, as the only person that both sides may listen to. If PC heroes have a good relationship with him he may ask them to join him for additional protection, and for any useful Skills or Powers they bring along.

I see it as that one episode of JLU wherein Grodd led followers outside the city in an attempt to subjugate the rest of the world, while the true king tried to stop him (or something like that).

I think it's a great idea, but I'd probably go Pulp Hero with it rather than Champions, just cuz I think it'd be a helluvan adventure.