Soon I Will Be Invincible

Susano

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Soon I Will Be Invincible

So... I shouldn't mention the end of King Kong? Or the Passion of the Christ? Or Titanic?

This sort of conversation always reminds me of the "ultimate spoiler", recited by a friend who was in line for Troy. They were discussing the Trojan horse and someone in line complained that they were ruining the surprise of the movie.

Spoilers for The Lord of the Rings, Charlotte's Web, and... the Bible:

Frodo lives; Charlotte dies; Jesus does both!

It was a reference to Citizen Kane.

And here I thought you were referring to the episdoe of the Dick Van Dyke show where Rob and Laura were explaining to little Richie where his middle name of Rosebud came from. And like several Dick Van Dyke episodes, it was mainly told in flashback. And of course, obviously inspired by Citizen Kane.

IIRC, it was created from the initials of possible names (that either they wanted or other people wanted.

Hmmm, then again maybe I should have labeled that as a spoiler. :D

And here I thought you were referring to the episdoe of the Dick Van Dyke show where Rob and Laura were explaining to little Richie where his middle name of Rosebud came from. And like several Dick Van Dyke episodes, it was mainly told in flashback. And of course, obviously inspired by Citizen Kane.

IIRC, it was created from the initials of possible names (that either they wanted or other people wanted.

Hmmm, then again maybe I should have labeled that as a spoiler. :D

Yeah, thanks fer nothin'

:D

Back to the book (sorta)

Did it strike anyone as odd that no one, main character or setting to to take it as odd that Lily was completely naked all the time? I know she's translucent to the point of being almost invisible but still... :) Of course maybe I just haven't gotten to it yet.

Partially joking but then again people have complained about statues have bared breasts, "nude" Barbies being on display and woman breastfeeding in public despite nothing being overly exposed....

No different than Girl One walking around naked all of the time.

Well, I've never heard of her but if she did so in the equivalent of the modern western world and no one ever commented on it and it was never even mentioned as being an issue, I'd find it a little funny too considering how uptight people are about nudity. It's not a major slam on the book, just struck me as odd. How does the fact that another writer had a character do it and cause no reaction in vaguely similar work of fiction justify or explain either incidence?

Well' date=' I've never heard of her but if she did so in the equivalent of the modern western world and no one ever commented on it and it was never even mentioned as being an issue, I'd find it a little funny too considering how uptight people are about nudity. It's not a major slam on the book, just struck me as odd.[/quote']:nonp: You haven't read Top 10?

Actually, she commented on when she found out that the Sarge was colour blind, and therefore couldn't see the various patterns that she covered her skin with. So, she decked him.

:nonp: You haven't read Top 10?

Nope. Heard a little about it, didn't sound like my cup of tea. I remember it's something about "super cops" or something.

Actually, she commented on when she found out that the Sarge was colour blind, and therefore couldn't see the various patterns that she covered her skin with. So, she decked him.

This largely means nothing to me (I know nothing about the characters and that interaction and background) be aside from seeming to paint "Girl One" as something of a jerk. She hit someone for looking at her because she chooses to walk around naked?

and as I said, I don't see how the existence of "Girl One" makes the non reaction to Lily less odd (or the apparently non reaction to Girl One).

The point is that Girl One doesn't look naked. And given the translucency that Lily is described as having, I doubt she often registers as *naked* to people's perceptions. We recognise things by association. If it doesn't resemble previous encounters with nakedness, then people wouldn't recognise it as nakedness.

As an example, Tweety bird used to be featherless, but people complained that he was naked. And yet Porky Pig had spent several years wearing no pants without comment.

Nope. Heard a little about it, didn't sound like my cup of tea. I remember it's something about "super cops" or something.

This largely means nothing to me (I know nothing about the characters and that interaction and background) be aside from seeming to paint "Girl One" as something of a jerk. She hit someone for looking at her because she chooses to walk around naked?

and as I said, I don't see how the existence of "Girl One" makes the non reaction to Lily less odd (or the apparently non reaction to Girl One).

Yes, it's a comic series about police officers in a city where everyone is a costumed/powered individual. It's very good. Anyway, Girl One wears only her skin patterns, and slugs Sgt. Caesar for not telling her he could tell she was nude (since he only sees in B&W). Caesar tells he he doesn't matter, he's only turned on by girl dogs... then tells someone else he's lying (and they both chuckle over Sgt. Caesar being a 'sly old dog').

In my character sheet for Girl One I comment on that improbability that no one would notice Girl One being nude, but chalk it up to comic book physics.

The point is that Girl One doesn't look naked. And given the translucency that Lily is described as having, I doubt she often registers as *naked* to people's perceptions. We recognize things by association. If it doesn't resemble previous encounters with nakedness, then people wouldn't recognize it as nakedness.

As an example, Tweety bird used to be featherless, but people complained that he was naked. And yet Porky Pig had spent several years wearing no pants without comment.

Actually there have been complaints about pantsless cartoon characters but that a side point. There's a difference between an animated drawing a pig (or other animal) and a "real" anatomically correct (I assume) woman standing there that you can see. People register body paint that you can't tell isn't clothing at first glance as "naked".

Or even if they didn't notice, the idea would eventually get around and cause something of a stir. Nudity is a big hang up in allot of Western culture. You already have people complaining that superheroes (or mostly heroines) wear to little or about beings like Silver Surfer (Ultimate Phoenix) that are covered in some sort of skin tight energy fields or coatings

If Girl One can smooth out her nipples and make certain other features vanish (or never bends over and keeps her legs close together at all times not to mention landscapes or is naturally uh.. anime) I don't know.

In any event, it just struck me as kind of odd not intolerable.

Yes, it's a comic series about police officers in a city where everyone is a costumed/powered individual. It's very good. Anyway, Girl One wears only her skin patterns, and slugs Sgt. Caesar for not telling her he could tell she was nude (since he only sees in B&W). Caesar tells he he doesn't matter, he's only turned on by girl dogs... then tells someone else he's lying (and they both chuckle over Sgt. Caesar being a 'sly old dog').

In my character sheet for Girl One I comment on that improbability that no one would notice Girl One being nude, but chalk it up to comic book physics.

Seems a bit...touchy to hit someone over their anatomy and your choice to reveal your own. I take it she's has kind of a short fuse?

Seems a bit...touchy to hit someone over their anatomy and your choice to reveal your own. I take it she's has kind of a short fuse?

Not really. I think she was really annoyed about Caesar ogling her and knowing her 'secret'. Her 'costume' was apparently pretty fool proof otherwise as no one else knew.

Not really. I think she was really annoyed about Caesar ogling her and knowing her 'secret'. Her 'costume' was apparently pretty fool proof otherwise as no one else knew.

I suppose. Comic book physics as you say.

Why doesn't she just wear clothes?