Soon I Will Be Invincible

Susano

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Soon I Will Be Invincible

I'm not going to make a call on the author's opinions on the genre from one book but I can see easily how you can get that impression from how he handled superheroes in this book. I just didn't care for the way he wrote their personalities and their actions in the parts I read and Dr. Impossible was presented as too much of an obvious author/reader sympathy "anti-hero".

I'd suggest spoiler blocking some of your comment just in case. The thread isn't explicitly marked as containing spoilers.

Didn't think of it when I first posted.

Didn't think of it when I first posted.

I can certainly understand that and common sense should probably tell anyone that the likelihood of spoilers is high in a thread like this. I just thought poster should be careful again putting up spoilers just in case.

• 2 weeks later...

That scene at the end had me chuckling, where Dr. Impossible...

...reveals himself to CoreFire dramatically, finally letting the captured hero know who it was who has been his nemesis all these years, and CoreFire just shrugs, having no recollection of the man under the mask. :D

That scene at the end had me chuckling' date=' where Dr. Impossible...

...reveals himself to CoreFire dramatically, finally letting the captured hero know who it was who has been his nemesis all these years, and CoreFire just shrugs, having no recollection of the man under the mask. :D

[/quote']

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

not really, but it gives the gist.

Still, you can't really expect people to maintain the "secrets" from things over two decades in case someone that hasn't read or seen them might happen on them. I mean what is the statute of limitations?

Can you say what Rosebud is without spoiler tags or who Luke's father is? :)

Edit: This board counts as "comic circles"

Another enjoyable book.

Picked up Devil's Cape, Soon I will be Invincible, and Superpowers. Finished the first two very quickly. Both excellent. Will probably start Superpowers later this week.

Cool! I just found Devil's Cape in the library computer. I'm looking foward to it arriving....

Guest steamteck

What' date=' nobody is going to mention Super-Folks?[/quote']

Wow! A blast from the past. I wonder where Indigo is these days.

Can you say what Rosebud is without spoiler tags or who Luke's father is? :)

Edit: This board counts as "comic circles"

Who's Rosebud?

And there's a fair point there. While I don't know if those comparisons are accurate (since I think it's fair to say that Star Wars is much more culturally ever-present than Watchmen), I do agree that at a certain point, certain cultural icons become "fair game."

However, it's also true that there are people out there who were born after the popularity/publicity of something (such as Star Wars and Watchmen) have faded, and it's not unreasonable of us to point out potential spoilage. When I first saw Star Wars, I think rereleased in theatres, I honestly thought it was the first time it had come out. So I went home, all excited, to tell my parents about this cool new movie!

Who's Rosebud?

It was a reference to Citizen Kane.

And there's a fair point there. While I don't know if those comparisons are accurate (since I think it's fair to say that Star Wars is much more culturally ever-present than Watchmen), I do agree that at a certain point, certain cultural icons become "fair game."

However, it's also true that there are people out there who were born after the popularity/publicity of something (such as Star Wars and Watchmen) have faded, and it's not unreasonable of us to point out potential spoilage. When I first saw Star Wars, I think rereleased in theatres, I honestly thought it was the first time it had come out. So I went home, all excited, to tell my parents about this cool new movie!

I have to disagree. It is unreasonable to expect people to think in terms of spoilers for things that have been around for decades because someone that wasn't born at the time might not have seem them. Watchmen isn't as wide spread culturally as Star Wars outside of comic book circles, which this board is in part. In comic circles, it's fairly well known, at least in general details. Some I've met that have never read it know the general particulars of the story including the "spoiler" in this thread.

Basically you'd have to spoiler tag everything ever because there will always been someone, somewhere that might not have seen it or read it yet even though it's all but common knowledge for the majority of those in interest.Things existed before you (and I) were born or interested. Sometimes you'll find out about them particularly if you move in circles that discuss them. It happens. And I don't think its the fault of the people discussing for not taking into hypothetical people that hadn't seem material years or decades old.