If you act, as you think . . .

Maelstrom

How would you model synchronicity in a DC game? I have this image of a sniper waiting on a rooftop waiting for the proper time for his shot, and then a highlight around a falling leaf -- suddenly the leaf falls nearly straight down, and he takes the shot.

What do you think?

Guest Admiral C

Re: If you act, as you think . . .

How would you model synchronicity in a DC game? I have this image of a sniper waiting on a rooftop waiting for the proper time for his shot, and then a highlight around a falling leaf -- suddenly the leaf falls nearly straight down, and he takes the shot.

What do you think?

I don't quite know what you mean by synchronicity. I've looked it up and all I can find is about the relation of, on the surface, unrelated things.

If so your talking about a precognition that doesn't let you see the future per se but allows you to read "unrelated" background happenings and guide you to what you want to do, or happen. I'm not even sure it would be a limitation on the power since it functions the same even though the data comes through odd. If it had an limitations on it at all it would be something like "doesn't function or functions poorly when events start interacting to fast to track" or "fuzzy around chaotic swirls in the synch stream." So the sniper would see the leaf, know it's his cue to shoot, but after the shot is fired too much chaos is happening to get a good reading for the next few minutes.

I could be wrong about what I think you mean though. If so let me know and I'll see if I can generate a better answer.

I don't quite know what you mean by synchronicity. I've looked it up and all I can find is about the relation of, on the surface, unrelated things.

If so your talking about a precognition that doesn't let you see the future per se but allows you to read "unrelated" background happenings and guide you to what you want to do, or happen. I'm not even sure it would be a limitation on the power since it functions the same even though the data comes through odd. If it had an limitations on it at all it would be something like "doesn't function or functions poorly when events start interacting to fast to track" or "fuzzy around chaotic swirls in the synch stream." So the sniper would see the leaf, know it's his cue to shoot, but after the shot is fired too much chaos is happening to get a good reading for the next few minutes.

I could be wrong about what I think you mean though. If so let me know and I'll see if I can generate a better answer.

Exactly. Being able to see or sense underlying patterns in seemingly coincident forces or events. He sees the leaf, and fires because the straight fall of the leaf indicates the straight shot, even without a causal connection.

Not synergy, btw, but thanks. :)

I think what he is thinking about (?) is that this character notices little things like that (the leaf drops because there is no wind) without conscious thought. He observes the environment and little things like that give him subconscious bonuses in combat - and maybe out of combat too.

Sorta like intuitional Danger Sense, but with an offensive aspect as well.

Maybe its Detect Acausal Parallelisms/Synchronicitous Events and also some 8pt CSLs (or even 10 pt Overal SLs), Linked, and Uncontrolled. That way its really more like GM discretion whether there's an opportunity to make it work. Or substitute the Uncontrolled for Extra Time to indicate that it takes time to "tune in" to the collective unconscious.

Otherwise it sounds a lot more like SFX of CSLs to me.

I don't know, Shigeru. I thought so to at first but now I think it's more metaphorical/mystical.

Because the leaf falls straight, his shot will BE straight. Regardless if he happens to shoot into a tornado. As an alternative example (of what I think he MIGHT mean): a tram goes by, and approaches a curve in the tracks.

The tram curves to the right, and taking this into account...he believes his bullet will curve to the right, around the corner of the building. And it does.

Psyker-esque stuff, to me.

So...it's because the leaf is moving straight that his shot is straight?

Or is the fact that the leaf is falling, rather than blowing, which indicates that there is no wind to disrupt his shot?

The problem is that the shot and the leaf are unrelated. There is no causal connection, but there IS an acausal coincident relationship.

I don't know, Shigeru. I thought so to at first but now I think it's more metaphorical/mystical.

Because the leaf falls straight, his shot will BE straight. Regardless if he happens to shoot into a tornado. As an alternative example (of what I think he MIGHT mean): a tram goes by, and approaches a curve in the tracks.

The tram curves to the right, and taking this into account...he believes his bullet will curve to the right, around the corner of the building. And it does.

Psyker-esque stuff, to me.

This is more like what I meant, but psychic isn't the approach.

I don't want it to be just a special effect for CSLs, but I do like the way this is heading.

I think what he is thinking about (?) is that this character notices little things like that (the leaf drops because there is no wind) without conscious thought. He observes the environment and little things like that give him subconscious bonuses in combat - and maybe out of combat too.

Sorta like intuitional Danger Sense, but with an offensive aspect as well.

Yes, exactly. It's just I can't seem to nail down (mentally) the effect of the offensive aspect, without just using CSLs.

Please don't get me wrong: CSLs may be the way to go; may be the only way to model this. But I would like something more elegant.

Maybe its Detect Acausal Parallelisms/Synchronicitous Events and also some 8pt CSLs (or even 10 pt Overal SLs)' date=' Linked, and Uncontrolled. That way its really more like GM discretion whether there's an opportunity to make it work. Or substitute the Uncontrolled for Extra Time to indicate that it takes time to "tune in" to the collective unconscious.[/quote']

I like this idea and the "indirect" concept, too, maybe in combination.

So something like... "Thaumaturic gunnery" RSR: Per roll or a Power skill.

No Range mod, Indirect +1/4 (or more as time goes on) Pen (Bypass barriers) He "links" his shot to a natural event, gaining supernatural benefits...?

Perhaps a collection of gun-fu tricks--indirect' date=' find weakness, etc.--coupled with an EGO roll or some such. Maybe a "Zen Gunnery" skill on which to base the powers/RSR and such.[/quote']

Either an EGO-based custom skill or Perception for the RSR (Perception as an RSR mgiht be stretching it, but not much; the rules experts can chime in). Maybe even Extra Time, though that might get cumbersome and slow you down too much.

Wild Idea: Buy CSLs, Costs END (so you can manipulate them as powers), Autofire, RSR. The better you make that EGO/PER based skill, the more things you notice in synch and the better your timing is, thus the potential for multiple skill adds. Bends rules like Gumby, but GM consult might allow it.

Thanks for the kudos. Here's another idea: A collection of CSLs that require an EGO roll (or alternately a "Zen" roll), then leave the actual event as a plot device, either on the part of the GM or the player.

For example, +3 with Ranged Combat, requires Zen Riflery skill roll. It might look thusly...

Player: "I line up the target in my sights, take a deep breath, and push all the world away except for the rifle and my target."

GM, rolling dice: "You're zen. Go for it."

Player: "From the corner of my eye I see a rat scurry across the alley. Just as a cat pounces upon it I take the shot."

GM, rolling more dice, "Hit, dead center. Target falls."

Just throwing stuff out as it occurs to me. I'm kinda zen myself...or maybe that's just lack of sleep.