Have you written a story?

Tech

Re: Have you written a story?

Anyone done any Champions stories based on set Champions scenarios?

It has been done for D&D where a scenario is turned into a novel.

Most published scenarios have a lot of information in them and with back weave from players backgrounds could be made into a short novel that at least some champions players would read :).

Obviously it would have to be approved by HERO and royalties etc

Actually, I have been doing the opposite. I have series of unpublished (and mostly unfinished) short stories that I have written and have been trying to convert into Champions. So far, I have not had any new characters spring up by playing with character creation, but by putting some of my characters into Champions format, I have come up with plot elements that helped fill some story holes I have been struggling. As an example, I have a team of street level supers called the Regulators made up mostly of sidekick potentialists and wannabes, but I have been struggling with their origin. Then I decided to write one of the characters named Asinine, wears a donkey mask and has a large red number 9 on his chest. He is my resident jerk and wise-acre. When I was trying to figure out what his PS would be, the only thing that came to mind was circus jerk. The world is written as modern with an older feel; so, traveling circuses didn't make sense, but then, I was thinking about something I read about Circus de Soleil and realized that many of the Regulators had backgrounds that would work in that kind of setting; so, I decided that my resident city had a Circus de Soleil style attraction called the Carnival Spectacular and the founding regulators were circus performers doing good deeds. That also helped spur a name change for my city, Freedom City which I didn't like. My chief hero is Captain Spectacular and with the circus name, I wanted spectacular worked into the name or nickname somewhere, and after a few iterations, I have Freedomsburg, the Spectacular City.

I've written and sold a number of stories about some of my Champions characters. None of the stories are based on actual campaign events--just the characters themselves. (And that's just as well, since a number of them are pure erotica or erotic romance.)

Iron Maiden, Black Knight, Black Mask, Legion, and others have been published in short stories or short novels. And there will be more. I like writing them, and there's a market for that kind of stuff amongst all the other paranormal erotica. Descriptions of the stories, cover art, and links to them can be seen at my website, if anyone cares. That's not all that I've written or sold, but character-based stories are definitely a big part of it.

I subscribe to the theory that the game is only an abstraction of the real world - it does not define the world. If I can see the game rules in the story, it automatically falls into the low-grade fiction category. As an example, most of the D&D and Battletech stuff is this way for me. Because of this, I never try to writeup any game session, nor do I game out any scenarios that I am writing. If it is interesting and plausible, then it happens. I can decide who is hit, where they are hit, and how much damage they take just as easily as dice. I'm not against write-ups of game events, I just consider that as something very different than a short story or novel.

World building is my thing, and I've done a lot of that recently. 39k words of the history of a Battletech merc company, and 34k words of my Harn fanon project, but no real fiction stories as such. I've got a handful of 1-2 page superhero stories that cover a single scene, and were mostly intended to highlight a personality trait or ability, but nothing longer. Next up on my evolution as a writer is to try an actual story. For Battletech I'm going to do it as a series of transcripts on battle reports, house liaison reports, etc. For the Harn characters, it'll be traditional fiction, but the ratio will be biased away from conversation and internal thoughts - descriptions of what they are feeling and thinking and going through is about the best I can do now.

Over the years, playing on a virtual desktop with dozens players, I have collected something like 20000 pages of actual superhero gaming chatlog. It is a long slow process but I have been editing it and have about 450 pages of story condensed down. This does not include sections still in the original 'chat' form and I am very far from finished. This isn't my only project either. I also have hundreds of pages of Urban Fantasy 'chat' that I have only begun as well as a third storyline that began as a game but has since become something outside. New character stories are my weakness, I love writing them, but as I no longer game, and am no longer fettered with a finite group of characters, I've created far more characters then I need. Doesn't stop me though. As I write this I am mulling over an entirely new set of characters that I need for a single scene in another character's background. I'll end up writing a background for each of probably 10 characters just to put that one background into perspective. And this is just so I get things right in my own head. Some of my junk ended up in my blogs on this sight, more on Wattpad.

I know this is necro-threading' date=' but I just read Sparrow's Flight and was blown away by how good it was. I wish I had bought it new, QuerySphinx deserves more royalties, IMHO.[/quote']

I'm glad you liked it. FWIW Cockatrice: Carpe Demon should be out in e-format later this year. And it's eight years of writing practice better than Sparrow!

And if you really want to send me money Sparrow's Flight is available on Kindle. :P