Custom Figures Images

penemue

Re: Custom Figures Images

It's been a dry stretch for me lately. I haven't really painted anything worth talking about for a while. Except maybe my Ponies. :D

At least you made the ponies, I haven't painted/converted anything in a dog's age.

The ponies look disturbingly cool btw. :thumbup:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At some point I'll see if I can post my Black Harlequin conversion. I've got plans for several more. Now that I've settled into my new home with mroe room for my little gaming projects I'm hoping I can provide a few more conversions for this thread.

~Keith

Remjin' date=' how'd you get the 'blades' on Young's Sorcha to come out so bright? I've tried a couple ideas over the years and I can never get that type of 'radiance' to come out right.[/quote']

Are you talking about the double light-saber thing? Those are plastic tubes you can buy at hobby shops. I got them from a GW40k Necron miniature or two, but I know you can buy them separately from some places. They're basically fiber-optic tubes, like in some gun sights.

If you want a bright effect with just paint, start with white and shade down, using very slight variations in color, and have it close to a contrastingly dark area. If you can manage the glowing off the armor type of effect, that also helps. Also, as a "trick," if you want, another method is to simply ink over solid white (primer being preferable), with a lot of layers, allowing gravity to be your friend as the ink will pool towards the bottom. Use a paper towel to wick some of it off so its not too dark. If you mix the ink with water, it'll gradually shade it down on its own. If you put pure ink on it, it will eventually crust into an odd mica sort of metallic, which is also a neat trick. If you mix the ink with gloss varnish and perhaps some water, you can also get a candy-coat kind of look as well. The hard part with all of this is keeping the brighter highlights, if you want them. Play around with it and see what you get. I know a guy who did an entire WH40k Eldar jetbike army with the candy-coat effect and it was pretty cool. Kind of like looking at a whole army with tricked out rides. =)

At some point I'll see if I can post my Black Harlequin conversion. I've got plans for several more. Now that I've settled into my new home with mroe room for my little gaming projects I'm hoping I can provide a few more conversions for this thread.

~Keith

Ok, true to my word, here are some pics of the Black Harlequin figure I made for Proditor's Mod Contest.

Keith

Are you talking about the double light-saber thing? Those are plastic tubes you can buy at hobby shops. I got them from a GW40k Necron miniature or two, but I know you can buy them separately from some places. They're basically fiber-optic tubes, like in some gun sights.

If you want a bright effect with just paint, start with white and shade down, using very slight variations in color, and have it close to a contrastingly dark area. If you can manage the glowing off the armor type of effect, that also helps. Also, as a "trick," if you want, another method is to simply ink over solid white (primer being preferable), with a lot of layers, allowing gravity to be your friend as the ink will pool towards the bottom. Use a paper towel to wick some of it off so its not too dark. If you mix the ink with water, it'll gradually shade it down on its own. If you put pure ink on it, it will eventually crust into an odd mica sort of metallic, which is also a neat trick. If you mix the ink with gloss varnish and perhaps some water, you can also get a candy-coat kind of look as well. The hard part with all of this is keeping the brighter highlights, if you want them. Play around with it and see what you get. I know a guy who did an entire WH40k Eldar jetbike army with the candy-coat effect and it was pretty cool. Kind of like looking at a whole army with tricked out rides. =)

Hunh. Fiber optics tubes, you say?

I haven't tried the washing trick, I'll have to give it a go and see what I can do.

What I'm really trying to do is get the Warpstone in my Skaven army to be really bright and 'glowing', as my read on the stuff makes me think Warpstone is pretty much radioactive. And Tritium paint is soooooo expensive...

Hunh. Fiber optics tubes, you say?

I haven't tried the washing trick, I'll have to give it a go and see what I can do.

What I'm really trying to do is get the Warpstone in my Skaven army to be really bright and 'glowing', as my read on the stuff makes me think Warpstone is pretty much radioactive. And Tritium paint is soooooo expensive...

Ooooooh.... warpstone... there was a good write-up of a paint-job for warpstone somewhere, probably a white dwarf. Okay, here's one for you for warpstone:

1. Prime White
  2. Mix White w/ touch of green ink or light green (goblin?) paint
  3. Paint a medium (goblin) green on all the edges of the crystal
  4. Mix the green with some of the off-white and gradually layer/feather towards the center with increasing amounts of the off-white
  5. Dry-brush the entire crystal with the original off-white
  6. Water down some green ink or light green if its available and give it a glaze
  7. Highlight each edge with the off-white using the side of your brush
  8. Fade the original off-white back into the centers and then outward again towards the edges but leave a band of the green, though obscuring it is good
  9. Another light green ink glaze
  10. Take that off-white as close to white as possible with a tinge of the green barely there
  11. Slash through the flat sides of the crystal in one direction
  12. Wash in the light green ink again
  13. Give it some slashes the opposite way (think X) but only a strategically placed few
  14. Glaze it once more if you like
  15. Brighten up the very very tips of things with that tinged white for the very brightest highlights

That should work, though it takes a bit, to make a pretty neat one... but its just one of many options. A simpler one might be just mixing mithril silver and green ink, highlighting it (edges, maybe some slashes) with mithril, then give it a green ink glaze. =) Maybe throw in that white & green ink tinge mix as a highlight on the very tips of things.

I came across some older heroclix I made when the game first came out.

I also (finally) printed out and glued to cardboard and cut out some ground tiles. It really changes the overall look of the game. I am inspired to make some of my own now. I have a Steampunk setting that needs work. Hmm.. Steampunk...

I also (finally) printed out and glued to cardboard and cut out some ground tiles.

Penemue: Quick question for you (as I'm lookign to do the same for my gamingg table...), what sort of carboard did you use? Is it just cereal box cardboard with the paper print out glued on?

I'm considering printing out on cardstock, but the cardstock seems a bit flimsie, and am wondering if I can strengthen it either with plasticard or some kind of stiffer cardboard.

Also, what company did you get the street print outs from etc.?

Thanks for any info!

Keith

Myrlyn,

I bought the tiles from Worldworks. It's so worth it. I have even modified some of the tiles in photoshop for custom effect, etc. My Worldworks garbage truck I built yesterday was the hit of last night's game even though they never used it. Everyone picked it up and admired it.

I print out the tiles on card stock with my printer.

I then use clear Mactac (Not really mactac, because I get it at the dollar store. to cover it. It's like a clear laminating thing..

I then use gluesticks to glue it to corrugated cardboard. Try to make sure the cardboard is the same thickness or else it looks funny. Gluesticks are important because white glue will warp the cardboard. Oy!

I think Worldworks has the best selection of models, but you gotta pay for them.

Myrlyn,

I print out the tiles on card stock with my printer.

I then use clear Mactac (Not really mactac, because I get it at the dollar store. to cover it. It's like a clear laminating thing..

I then use gluesticks to glue it to corrugated cardboard. Try to make sure the cardboard is the same thickness or else it looks funny. Gluesticks are important because white glue will warp the cardboard.

I've never heard of Mactac before... I found some links via google, but they didn't sound like the stuff you described. What is this stuff? Is it simply a clear acrylic spray on coating? Or is this some kind of film?

Thanks again for replying and for any additional info!

Keith

Mactac is a cupboard liner. An adhesive, pressure sensitive film. I never pay more than a dollar for it. It's a demon to stick so it doesn't bunch up or crinkle.. sometimes it's more trouble than it's worth, but you end up with a really cool-looking waterproof surface.

Mactac is a cupboard liner. An adhesive' date=' pressure sensitive film. I never pay more than a dollar for it. It's a demon to stick so it doesn't bunch up or crinkle.. sometimes it's more trouble than it's worth, but you end up with a really cool-looking waterproof surface.[/quote']

Hmmm... I wonder if some other kinds of fixatives could work just as well but might not be waterproof (hairspray for example works well to seal different kinds of prints and artwork, but isn't waterproof).

Just to keep things tidy, I thought I'd include some links to the other threads that I'm aware of that have pictures of folks custom minis, make reference to some decent minis for use in Champions or that have "recipes" for making minis. This list is by no means comprehensive... if you know of any others, please PM me, and I'll update this post. (BTW Proditor - you never did post your Ankylosaur solution to that thread! I'd still love to see how he came out.).

Keith

• 4 weeks later...

Just to keep things tidy, I thought I'd include some links to the other threads that I'm aware of that have pictures of folks custom minis, make reference to some decent minis for use in Champions or that have "recipes" for making minis. This list is by no means comprehensive... if you know of any others, please PM me, and I'll update this post. (BTW Proditor - you never did post your Ankylosaur solution to that thread! I'd still love to see how he came out.).

Keith

Nice list! :D

As to Ankylosaur, heh, I never did finish him. He sits on my work table, mocking me. Which is sad, as he really just needs feet and paint.

Ah well. I'm basically "retired" from modding and painting until...2010? At least until we get a bigger space and wedding is over in all probability.

Nice list! :D

As to Ankylosaur, heh, I never did finish him. He sits on my work table, mocking me. Which is sad, as he really just needs feet and paint.

Ah well. I'm basically "retired" from modding and painting until...2010? At least until we get a bigger space and wedding is over in all probability.

Did Doc Grond every get made?