Custom Figures Images

penemue

Hi,

really enjoying going through the boards. I have been using miniatures for my Champions campaign for years, but was always frustrated with the lack of supers. With Clix games and the like we now have an amazing amount of supertypes to game with. I thought it might be fun for any of us who have custom miniatures to post them on here and share them with each other.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Custom Figures Images

I've been using cardstock buildings, vehicles and props for a while now. It can really add to the ambiance of the game. They're fun to make too. Kind of a pain to store... anyway, in this image Sir Skull is trying to find Gargirl, who is hiding on the overhang of the Happy Paws Cat Hospital. In the background Kimera and The Scarlet Avenger make sure the fight doesn't get too nasty for Kimera's sidekick.

Kimera is the dark and brooding brick who gets his powers from mystical gargoyles on the roof of an orphanage. I kid you not.

Gargirl is his sidekick, one of the orphans from the orphanage who figures out Kimera's secret identity and threatens to tell the nuns unless she can be his crime-fighting partner.

Very nice.

Having zero talent with three dimensional art, I started making my own counters a few weeks ago, using PageMaker, an inkjet printer, cardstock, a 1" circular punch, and wooden disks from the hobby shop. They got their first workout on Saturday and performed admirably.

Counters work too. I used to buy the V&V supplements JUST for the counters. One summer I made hundreds and we had a good time.

This image brings to life one of the longest running jokes in my Champions campaign; the old Sam and Ella Diner schtick. How many adventures started with all the characters sitting in the Sam and Ella, I'll never know.

Thanks Egyptoid. There's lots of other stuff like that too. Signs, dumpsters, phone booths, construction barriers, etc. I'll take some pictures next game night.

Here is another mini: Windburn. She's a Canadian Superhero Team Powered Armour character.

Looking at these in this context makes me want to make more.

Hmmm... should have some here somewhere... lessee... Not the best, but it had been quite some time since I'd painted anything...

edit: And for Myrlyn, here is what these miniature are...

1. The Tiger on the ball is from War Gods of Aegyptus, its a Performer or Camp Follower pack. I basically bent the miniature with a pair of flat (no teeth) pliars and my fingers to give it that copeira style kicking pose. Had to pin the arm back on after one bend too many snapped it off. =/ I used green putty to sculpt the torn shirt and pants (he had a loin cloth before), integrating some of the cloth that was already there. You can't see it as well in that angle, but there's a lot more torn shirt in the back.

2. Standard WarMachine figure from Cygnar. A rifleman of some sort.

3. The daemons are the 3rd edition Warhammer 40k Chaos Daemonettes from the boxed set. Minor changes in pose, if any.

4. The monster of a Chaos Spawn from the 5th edition Warhammer Fantasy army box. I believe its still sold in blister/box form.

5. The guy with the trenchcoat is an energy blaster (Dr. something) from SuperFigs... which are mediocre, at best, for the most part, but I liked this one. Painted it on a whim. The base is just some left over putty I smashed on there and cut at with an x-acto knife until it sort of looked like a rock. =)

And some more... I don't take pictures of too many of them, and an entire case full of them got stolen as well.

1. The back of the Inferno figure. (he's on superfig's website, actually)

2. A Dark Elf special character from Warhammer Fantasy. I individually painted each scale and flesh ridge with a lot of layers to get that lining effect. I tried for non-metallic metals and sort-of-not-really got it to work. The base you can't see in that picture was made with putty and .44 magnum brass. I'll try and post a picture with the base on it.

3. The last is a converted Sorscha figure from Warmachine. I cut off her hat and hair, filed it bald, sculpted a new set of hair. I cut off her original gun and gave her a shotgun from a Necromunda weapons sprue, then cut both weapon ends off her hammer and glued on some tubes from a WH40k Necron kit I had lying around. The necrons that went with it ended up in a junk pile on some diorama or something. I built the bridge with... uh... crap, I can't remember. Probably broken popsicle sticks or scrap wood from some project or other. To put it one way, my hobby room used to be a disaster area of boxes, sprue, and random modeling material strewn about it. Its still like that, but much less so as I've sold off a lot of it now so I could see the floor and table.

Remjin, those are awesome!.. The fire trenchcoat guy is a personal favourite.

A case got stolen! No way!

Las month my friend had his briefcase of characters he'd created in the last 15 years stolen. His last briefcase of characters was stolen 15 years ago... Weird.

Remjin, those are awesome!.. The fire trenchcoat guy is a personal favourite.

A case got stolen! No way!

Las month my friend had his briefcase of characters he'd created in the last 15 years stolen. His last briefcase of characters was stolen 15 years ago... Weird.

Thanks! Yeah, the case getting stolen was a bummer.. a lot of fantasy figs, part of my Imperial Guard army, some Mordheim, and various other stuff. =/ I'm really bummed about the fantasy stuff, as it was part of a project to inhabit an entire fantasy world. There were about 30 pieces for that. *sigh* Weird about your friend's briefcase.

Nice job' date=' Remjin. I particularly like the blending on the tiger-guy. :thumbup:[/quote']

Thank you! Just a bunch of dry-brushing, actually... but it worked really well for furry blending. =) Just layered the drybrush coats and went slightly lighter with a few of them.

Maybe I'll take some pictures of some of the stuff I actually finished around here... a new round of figures is supposed to be done soon for our new game, maybe I'll just post those when they get done.

One quick request guys... whenever possible can you provide the "recipe" for the figures if you recall them? Or in the case of terrain, provide the manufacturer/provider? I love seeing inspirational work like this, and like to be able to replicate it if I can for my own campaign. :)

Myrlyn...

the buildings are rescales I did of Microtactix and Worldworks buildings.

Worldworks has some particularly tasty sets.. woo...

Figures???

Hmm.. to be honest I'd have to do the recipe thing one by one.. It's been a few years although I am going to do more this month. Hang in there, I'll see what I can do.

One quick request guys... whenever possible can you provide the "recipe" for the figures if you recall them? Or in the case of terrain' date=' provide the manufacturer/provider? I love seeing inspirational work like this, and like to be able to replicate it if I can for my own campaign. :)[/quote']

I went back and added the descriptions. You'll have to go back and re-read those posts for the info. Just wasn't a good way to quote it back. Also, for some more information on similar projects, I have a half put together web page where I was explaining how I was putting our superteam together from miniatures. Its called Heroes 4 Hire. You can see part of it. I never did finish that page or take pictures of the finished product. =/ And now those figures are gone.

Okay, found a pic with the base for Malus Darkblade (finally remembered the figure's name), which upon second look isn't that cool. Oh well. =)

And the back of Chimera, the character of Bloodstone here on the boards, in the Epic City campaign, to show that shirt.

Hopefully Bill puts some of his stuff up, its really good. What I'm posting is mostly crap, but it seems to be all I ever bother to take pictures of... though I'm not all that great in any case.

It's been a dry stretch for me lately. I haven't really painted anything worth talking about for a while. Except maybe my Ponies. :D

Ponies? I'm curious...

Yeah, I paint in spurts... like as in every year or two, now. I got really burned out at some point. I've actually sold or traded most of my miniatures, especially everything GW except for the exceptional few I have always loved.

I'm hoping to get to work on our new team for Bloodstone's game pretty soon. Using a lot of Hasslefree Miniatures (one of the few companies making miniatures of a modern style... action heroes, zombie movie stars, etc.)

Should be a lot of fun. Now, if I could only spend my time converting and have someone else paint them, that would be great. =)