Count vertigo from DC or Vertigo from Marvel

shugotenshi

If you are unfamiliar with their abilities, they are the same as their namesake - Inducing vertigo in one or more people.

DC

In hand-to-hand and melee combat, Vertigo uses his power to disorient his opponents. He also uses the Vertigo Effect to disrupt the aim of gunmen, snipers and the like.

Marvel

..the superhuman power to project waves of psionic energy into her environment which affect the nervous systems of other living beings, distorting their physical perceptions. This power induces effects ranging from mild disorientation and vertigo to unconsciousness.

Extracts are from Wikipedia articles.

Using HD what is the best way to create a power that would do this?

Re: Count vertigo from DC or Vertigo from Marvel

Per the USPD the base power would/could be built as follows:

60 Vertigo Generation: Drain DEX 4d6, Ranged (+1/2) (60 Active Points) 6

You could, of course, modify the strength of it, add a CON drain to include a "nausea" effect, and so on.

Per the USPD the base power would/could be built as follows:

60 Vertigo Generation: Drain DEX 4d6, Ranged (+1/2) (60 Active Points) 6

You could, of course, modify the strength of it, add a CON drain to include a "nausea" effect, and so on.

I'd also link a change environment to it, and I think as portrayed it was a Cone AOE rather then ranged. The change environment would be -X DEX and all DEX skill rolls, and the victims would have to make DEX rolls to move in a straight line. If they fail the GM gets to "wobble" their movement path for them.

Also, at least with Count Vertigo it was a continous effect, and all the Drain went away when the power shut off.

Also' date=' at least with Count Vertigo it was a continous effect, and all the Drain went away when the power shut off.[/quote']

Count Vertigo's power almost works like a Succor, usable as an attack with a DEX drain instead of a DEX Aid.

Listed below is how I built the power (but for a villain):

10d6 Dex Drain (Average Effect): 30 pts/10 Dex, BOECV, Versus Mental Defence instead of Power Defence (+0), at Range, cannot use any other power or entire effect fades (-1/4), Ego Roll at -6 negates effect (-1/4), not vs opponents without minds (-1/4)

I've tried variations of this but eventually said 'Hey, I'm the GM and I'll build it like I want it even it the points are a bit much'.

The villain can induce a level of Vertigo but no less and no more.

I remember this question comming up before...I think I suggested CE: -X Dex rolls/skills, -say 3" all move (move the same amount, wobble so badly you cover less ground) and -X CV and/ or DCV...without long lasting it goes poof when you stop, CE can be radius...I'd hand wave a cone of effect, or buy Personal immunity....

As an aside, while looking for one bit of information (his encounter with Black Canary & Dr Mid-nite (I think that is how he was spelled, it gets confusing)), I ran into a little wrap up of Count Vertigo's life:

http://www.fanzing.com/mag/fanzing44/scattershot.shtml

&

http://www.fanzing.com/mag/fanzing45/scattershot.shtml

It's a bit old, but I just wanted to add it in FYI.

For my own view, I'd definitely go with AoE Cone, but I'm not sure if I'd go with a Suppress. The comics usually showed the people incapacitated for a while afterwards, so the Drain (or a bit of Uncontrolled, perhaps) is more in line with that.

Here's what I reckoned it should be. Stripped down to minimum mods needed, so yeah, it costs a lot of END.

64.....The Vertigo Effect: (Total: 111 Active Cost, 64 Real Cost) Drain DEX 2d6, Attack Versus Limited Defense (Flash Defense; +3/4), Continuous (+1), Area Of Effect (12" Cone; +1) (75 Active Points); Limited Power DEX returns to normal once outside AOE (-1/2) (Real Cost: 50) plus Change Environment 8" radius (16" Cone; +0), -5 DEX and all Skill Rolls based DEX (36 Active Points); Limited Power Only vs. targets with DEX reduced by Drain (-1/2), No Range (-1/2), Linked (Drain; -1/2) (Real Cost: 14) [Notes: Victims of the Change Environment must make a DEX roll whenever they move inside the effect. If they fail the roll then they move in a random path that leaves them still inside the AOE.] - END=11

Looks cool...but why not just do a big CE? You can penalize OCV and /or DCV and toss in "long lasting" and it takes a "short while" before it wears off...?

The CE only affects those inside it. There isn't a way to make the effect long lasting without another linked effect. Any duration increase would just be for the CE itself and not the effects.

Edit - I am not sure if this is really legit, but you could add mobile to the AE and have that give the targets an effect for a short time (it would mean the power "sticks" with them for a bit). Normally, mobile would mean that this power can move (maybe not a bad idea in itself) - the Count could gradually sweep it over an area - but if defined the second way it might stick to the targets for a bit (and maybe increase the advantage over +1).

The CE only affects those inside it. There isn't a way to make the effect long lasting without another linked effect. Any duration increase would just be for the CE itself and not the effects.

Really? If so I guess you could add in a UAA, but that would steepen up the cost big time...

Really? If so I guess you could add in a UAA' date=' but that would steepen up the cost big time...[/quote']

I'm not sure if that would work. It already works sort of like an attack (and it takes an attack action). I'm not sure what it would do to change the power.

I guess you might need UAA if you use the mobile AE option.

I guess I'd need to double check the rules...I'm working in a differant district this week ...so no rule books. I seem to remember building tear gas witha CE...so I'm sure there is a way...but I might be remembering wrong.....