Jumping mouth!

runescience

I have in mind a critter which is basically a 4 limbed bipedal torso, with a large single eye and basket ball sized mouth embedded in its torso. It has no head of its own.

It has a jump of about 8/16 inches. 10-15 str.

Its tactics are to Jump to its prey from behind, quickly get its spiny teethed mouth over its victims head and BITES IT OFF!

It succeeds doing so 50% of the time against a 4 or 5 dcv

its about man sized.

Can some one come up with the stats for that? I cant seem to get its powers down.

Re: Jumping mouth!

I have in mind a critter which is basically a 4 limbed bipedal torso, with a large single eye and basket ball sized mouth embedded in its torso. It has no head of its own.

It has a jump of about 8/16 inches. 10-15 str.

Its tactics are to Jump to its prey from behind, quickly get its spiny teethed mouth over its victims head and BITES IT OFF!

It succeeds doing so 50% of the time against a 4 or 5 dcv

its about man sized.

Can some one come up with the stats for that? I cant seem to get its powers down.

Sounds like you need just two things...a KA and levels to remove placed shot penalties. The "50% of the time" should probably be related to the defense of the target (i.e. not their DCV)...in other words...if the target has low defense then it will often kill the person in 1 hit.

Hope that helps...

humm.... It does other damage besides biting peoples heads off. I guess it tries to snag off limbs or wads of flesh...

Just curious... how does one actually bite the head off? As you say: placed shot? but them what % damage needs to hit that location?

What should I do for base DCV?

humm.... It does other damage besides biting peoples heads off. I guess it tries to snag off limbs or wads of flesh...

Just curious... how does one actually bite the head off? As you say: placed shot? but them what % damage needs to hit that location? /QUOTE]

Since a normal person dies when their head is bitten off, damage to the head locations sufficient to kill the person is a good sign of "head bitten off". Also since BOD damage that goes through defences is doubled, you don't even need a huge attack - a 2d6 HKA (reduced penetration) would let it bite someone's head off in two phases (bite and chew) or one phase with a good roll (Chomp!) as long as they were unarmoured, while preventing it chewing through plate armour easily.

cheers, Mark

Since a normal person dies when their head is bitten off, damage to the head locations sufficient to kill the person is a good sign of "head bitten off". Also since BOD damage that goes through defences is doubled, you don't even need a huge attack - a 2d6 HKA (reduced penetration) would let it bite someone's head off in two phases (bite and chew) or one phase with a good roll (Chomp!) as long as they were unarmoured, while preventing it chewing through plate armour easily.

cheers, Mark

An unarmored person vs a KA would have no defenses so even an average hit would do 14 body which is nearly double what a normal has (8 body) and more than a starting heroic has (10 body). So that definitely sounds like more than enough to chomp through, heheh.

Just curious... how does one actually bite the head off? As you say: placed shot? but them what % damage needs to hit that location?

What should I do for base DCV?

Enough to completely kill them (i.e. negative their Body total). Remember also that head is a 2x BODY location.

• 2 weeks later...

1/3 total BODY is enough to Disable a limb. So... 6 BODY to the head will disable an average human. I think damage equal to the character's BODY will destroy a limb in one shot. So... for those 8 BODY normals, 8 BODY will destroy the head -- and that's before the 2xBODY from head shots!

• 2 weeks later...

It's a squig.

Nothing to it really. Write up a creature, give it a xd6 HKA (x = how deadly do you want it to be), a couple of inches of leap, some DEX and SPD to make it quick and jumpy, some PSL's vs Hit Location penalties, an OCV level or three, and PhysLim -- No Arms. Cheap and scary.