Malazan Hero

Shadowsoul

Re: Malazan Hero

Ok, so I checked anyway -_-

Anyways, just remembered something about hood's realm... it's you can't pass through his GATE and still live, afterall the trygalle (spelling) use hood's realm quite often. D'oh!

I had actually forgotten that Callot used Mockra, actually. The first book is a little wonky tho since it was written a long time before the others (both '88 and '92 are sticking in my head for some reason), but I would have to agree with letting it unleash unless/until mr. erickson gives us a more in depth understanding of mockra.

Anyways, back to TtH, good stuff happening!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Working out the layouts of a couple of Martial Arts in preparation for an attempt to create some characters/character templates.

Does anyone know the usual equipment for a Malazan soldier? I can't recall precisely where I would find a description of it. I think it's heavy shield and broadsword with spears or halberds for the heavies and a sprinkling of crossbows here and there. In practice veterans are likely to have picked up other weapons along the way. Any advice on combat doctrine would be helpful as well. I'll have to see if I can find the passages where Fiddler trains his new squad of Bonehunters.

Malazan Marine Training.

This is actually the standard battle training of a Malazan soldier but Marines are more likely to have developed their skills to a level that warrants Martial Arts.

The basic premise of Malazan combat seems to be quite simple; opponents batter themselves fruitlessly against the shield and then get stabbed by the sword.

Regardless of whether they take this Martial Art all Malazan Marines must take the following Package.

Marine Training.

WF Common Melee Weapons. 2

WF Common Missile Weapons. 2

WF Off Hand. 1

Shield Training. Two Penalty Skill Levels versus Off Hand penalty with Shields. 3

PS Soldier 11- 2

KS Malazan Combat Doctrine 11- 2

Total cost = 12.

Manouevres List.

Weapon Element Sword and Shield. 0

Shield Block. (Defensive Block). 5

Jab. (Defensive Strike). 5

Set. (Root). 4

Hack. (Martial Strike). 4

Lunge. (Offensive Strike). 5

Lock Hilts. (Weapon Bind). 4

Nudge. (Shove). 4

CSLs. Malazan Marines may buy 2 or 3 point skill levels in 'Sword and Shield' or may buy CSLs for either Shields, Broadswords or Swords.

Further abilities.

There are some truly dangerous fighters who use this style and some Malazan veterans seem to be able to hack their way through crowds of lesser opponents.

Characters who have bought at least 15 points of Marine Martial Arts may purchase one or more of the following abilities.

Two Weapon Fighting. 6 (Character 'trades in' their WF Off Hand and Shield Training to offset the cost of this skill).

Defence Manouevres 1-4. 3-10.

Dirty Fighting.

There is nothing formal about this set of tricks, it is not really a true style and its teachers range from brutal street thugs to canny army sergeants. Dirty Fighting is an unarmed style at base but can be easily applied to simple weapons. If it may be considered to have any unifiying doctrines then at all then they would be (a) That there are no prizes for good behaviour in a fight to the death and (B) The more pain your opponent is in the less danger you are in. This list is appropriate to anyone who has had informal training in combat.

Weapon Element Unarmed. 0

Weapon Element Daggers. 1

Weapon Element Clubs. 1

Weapon Element Axes. 1

Weapon Element Swords. 1

Sucker Punch. (Fast Strike). 4

Trip. (Legsweep). 3

Duck. (Martial Dodge). 4

Eye Gouge. (Martial Flash Sight). 4

Throat Jab. (Killing Strike). 4

Mug. (Takeaway).

Further Abilities.

The Agoniser.

Dirty Fighting is about surviving and so an opponent who has been reduced to a gibbering wreck is pretty much as good as one who's bleeding out. Thus certain practitioners of this 'art' learn how to inflict the maximum of pain with the minimum of effort. Whether this manifests as a knee in the groin, a punch to the solar plexus or an open palmed strike intended to flatten the nose is up to the individual player.

Agoniser. Naked Modifier - +1 Increased Stun Modifier for up to 20 points of Str. 5

Next up is a general package deal for a Bridgeburner Veteran.

Bridgeburner Veterans.

This package represents the standard Bridgeburner who has survived long enough to actually appear 'in shot'. Not all will be this powerful and some will be considerably more dangerous but this is a reasonable baseline I think. The package is also designed to be flexible in order to represent the varied nature of Bridgeburner characters and so acts more as a sort of 'shopping list' than a prescriptive package.

All Bridgeburners will have the Marine Package by default.

Marine Training.

WF Common Missile Weapons. 2

WF Off Hand. 1

Shield Training. Two Penalty Skill Levels versus Off Hand penalty with Shields. 3

PS Soldier 11- 2

KS Malazan Combat Doctrine 11- 2

Total Cost 12.

As well as these additional abilities.

Bridgeburner Veteran Package

Hardened fighter.

1. 14 points of Martial Manouevres, either from the Marine Training or Dirty Fighting lists or from another list which is justified by the character's background and accepted by the GM. 14

2. +1 with HtH Combat. 5

Experienced.

Pick two skills from the following list.

Acting. 3

Analyze: Combat. 3

Armoursmith. 3

Concealment. 3

Defence Manouevre I. 3

Demolition. (Moranth Munitions). 3

Gambling. 3

Stealth. 3

Teamwork. 3

Weaponsmith. 3

Years Without Seeing The Sun.

PS: Tunneller 8- 1

Old Guard.

KS: Malazan History and Politics. 11- 2

Bridgeburner.

Bridgeburner: Reputation: Elite Unit. (Soldiers) 11-, +3/+3d6. 3

Total Cost = 31.

With Marine Training = 43

Disadvantages.

Psychological Limitation: Hates Officers (Common, Strong). -15.

Final Cost = 28.

Options.

Unluck. As a unit the Bridgeburners suffer from hideous unluck to the point that any survivors may well be inevitably doomed to join their ascended comrades. It is up to the individual GM to decide whether or not this Unluck should be bought for a Bridgeburner character or simply acknowledged as an element of the story which will not directly affect a Player Character.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey folks. If anyone out there is still watching this thread I'd like to ask some advice about the Teblor racial package I'm working on.

I based it on a toned down version of the standard Fantasy Hero Ogre.

Characteristics.

+ 15 Str.

+ 8 Con.

+ 5 Body.

+ 5 Pre.

+2 ED.

Powers.

Inhuman Flesh: Damage Resistance (6 ED) (3 Active Points); Conditional Power Only Against Sorcery (-1/2). 2 Points.

Total Cost 50 Points.

Disadvantages.

Physical Limitation: Large (Infrequently, Slightly Impairing) - 5 Points.

Distinctive Features: Oversized Barbarian (Not Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses; Not Distinctive In Some Cultures) -10

Social Limitation: Inhuman Barbarian (Occasionally, Minor). - 5

Final Cost 30 Points.

A look at Ian Esslemont's new book 'The Return of the Crimson Guard' has provided a hint about the size of Toblakai and thus Teblor. One character is described as looking like a Toblakai but being too tall, he stands easily twice the size of the humans he has encountered, (but they are undernourished and thus a bit stunty). This would seem to suggest that a Teblor would be perhaps half again as tall as a healthy and fully grown human male, as well as being substantially brawnier and bulkier. This should just about justify their labelling of humans as 'children'. There is of course the possibility that Esslemont's conception of the Toblakai races differs from that of Erikson who is not always entirely consistent within his own writing. It is however the most concrete description that I remember seeing to date.

One other thing. I've included a power to encompass the way that the flesh of the Teblor is not the same as that of humans and that they seem to have an innate resistance to sorcery. I was wondering if some damage reduction would be justified as well? We've seen Karsa Orlong walk through waves of sorcery but then he is a special case who may have been modified by the servants of the Chained God in order to improve his natural defences.

I was also wondering if I've gone overboard with the Disadvantages and should just combine the last two into a single social limitation.

Thoughts?

Are all Teblor resistant to magic? I was always under the impression that Karsa was unique in his resistance. There are bits in Reaper's Gale about his will being so strong he could just ignore most magic.

As for the Disads, the Social might also take "Not Limiting In Some Cultures" so would end up being 0 points?

I like throwing Unluck in the Bridgeburner's package deal, nice touch :thumbup:

Are all Teblor resistant to magic? I was always under the impression that Karsa was unique in his resistance. There are bits in Reaper's Gale about his will being so strong he could just ignore most magic.

As for the Disads, the Social might also take "Not Limiting In Some Cultures" so would end up being 0 points?

I like throwing Unluck in the Bridgeburner's package deal, nice touch :thumbup:

A good point on the disadvantage and one that I think I'll take.

As for Teblor magic resistance I'm not sure. I may have to go back and have a look. I think that it is true that Karsa's defence is greater than a normal specimen of his people but I think that his protection against magic stems from the fact that he is not made of the same stuff as humans are. I attributed this to something in the Toblakai lineage but it might be unique to Karsa.

I'm currently reading Return of the Crimson Guard which features another character with that kind of heritage so perhaps I'll see some evidence to help decide the case.

Thanks for the input.

The resistance to magic is, at least in part, due to the fact that the Teblor use blood oil, which is made from some rusty substance they scratch from the rocks (Otataral).

The size of the Teblor is about eight and a half feet, which Steven Eriksson confirmed in one interview.

http://www.sffworld.com/interview/242p0.html

The resistance to magic is, at least in part, due to the fact that the Teblor use blood oil, which is made from some rusty substance they scratch from the rocks (Otataral).

The size of the Teblor is about eight and a half feet, which Steven Eriksson confirmed in one interview.

http://www.sffworld.com/interview/242p0.html

That's helpful. Cheers.

More Racial Packages.

These are just guesses of course.

Barghast

+3 Str

+1 Con

+1 Body

7 Points.

Disadvantages.

Social Limitation: Unwashed, hairy, inhuman barbarian (Occasionally, Minor, Not Limiting In Some Cultures). -0

7 Points overall.

Options.

Although it is not obligatory Barghast characters will often have Distinctive Features due to their dreadlocks, fetishes, coating of grease, warpaint and other charming cultural practices.

Trell

+8 Str

+3 Con

+2 Body

18 Points.

Social Limitation: Inhuman barbarian (Occasionally, Minor, Not Limiting In Some Cultures). -0

Distinctive Features: Inhumanly short and muscular. (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses). -5

13 Points overall.

These are just physical packages of course. Any thoughts on cultural packages and skills?

For that matter what about cultural packages for Wickans, Rhivi, Gral and other tribes?

I envisioned Mappo as being smaller than Icarium. Icarium is seven feet tall. So I always thought Mappo was six or six and a half, although broader and of very heavy build.

BTW: I recently saw The Hulk 2 and I thought Hulk's size in that movie would about just be right for Karsa. Maybe a little less muscles though. But that Hulk would make an impressive Teblor.:thumbup:

He'd probably have the magic resistance as well.

I suppose Karsa would count as a Supervillain if he turned up on Earth.

I guess I should have a crack at statting Karsa up at some point. I'm planning to build Cotillion, Dassem Ultor and other heavyweights as well however and the next project will be to write up some stuff on military equipment in the Malazan World.

For the moment here are some thoughts.

The precise nature of Malazan military doctrine is a little hazy as we tend to see it in fragments or in the midst of a battle where all sorts of chaotic things are going on. Equipment is also slightly confused as the books often depict veterans who have picked up various weapons in their careers.

But here are the Malazan divisions as I understand them.

Heavies wear heavy armour and carry big shields and polearms. Heavies are large and tough enough to warrant their own package which I will get around to soon, (hopefully).

Medium Infantry wear armour that is either equal to the heavies or only slightly lighter but carry longswords and shields.

Marines and Skirmishers wear everything from mail to leather to cloth depending on their supply situation and training. Their weapons vary but the standard is a longsword and shield plus a crossbow. Crossbow fire is a vital part of Malazan battle tactics whether it is massed volleys to whittle away enemy formations or placed shots to turn the tide in urban engagements.

Sappers are equipped identically to the units they serve with but also carry Moranth munitions.

Cavalry are less well defined and their equipment depends on the individual unit. Tribal auxiliaries are often depicted serving en masse as light cavalry. Coltaine's Wickans are the most famous example of this but earlier in the Empire's history it is likely that the plainsdwelling Seti fulfilled this role. The Seti are lancers and horse-archers.

In general I would say that neither of the Malazan authors are obsessed with describing every last detail of Malazan armies, although they do explain quite a lot, so it shouldn't be interpreted too rigidly.

The mainstays of the Malazan military are the Marines who may be considered to be the army's troubleshooters, (see trouble, shoot it, annoy it, get eaten by it), and the Heavies who are about as easy to shift as a castle wall. Sappers are the other stars of the show and apparently the Malazans were masters of siegecraft even before they were equipped with the deadly Moranth munitions.

It could just be the way the stories have panned out but neither author seems much interested in non-tribal cavalry.

I'm pretty sure that any GM with Fantasy Hero can sort out the equipment I have outlined above so I won't bother posting stats for it unless someone asks very nicely.

I will have a go at statting out the unique elements of the Malazan Military however.

Heavies.

Malazan Heavies are a breed apart. Both authors describe them as uniformly large, strong and irredeemably stupid. In practice a Heavy does not have to have subhuman intelligence but NPC Heavies are likely to be rather dim.

With this in mind I would suggest the following package as a standard for all Heavies.

Characteristics.

+2 Body 4

+5 Str 5

+3 Con 6

Note. This package does not stack with racial packages but does replace them if it provides higher Characteristic levels. So a Barghast Heavy would have +5 Str instead of his usual +3 but a Trell would keep his +8 Str and would gain no further bonus.

Skills.

WF Off Hand. 1

PS Soldier 11- 2

Overall Cost 23.

Options.

Stupid -3 Int. -3

Psychological Limitation: Slow Thinker (Common, Moderate). -10

Hard to Move. Knockback Resistance -1". 2

Malazan Heavies may buy Martial Arts from the Malazan Marine Training and Dirty Fighting Lists although there is no guarantee that they will remember to use these abilities even if they learn them.

Sappers.

Sappers will usually have Malazan Marine Training and must take the skill Demolitions (Moranth Munitions). Sappers will also take the Disadvantage Psychological Limitation: 'Compulsively Hoards Munitions'. (Uncommon, Strong). -10

The nature of Moranth Munitions is somewhat debatable. I would not expect a Sharper to match a modern grenade (2d6 Killing) but then it is described as 'alchemical' and may not be made of gunpowder as the grenadoes of Early Modern Europe were. The common wisdom is that if a Sharper lands on or next to a normal human then he is dead, regardless of armour. On the other hand a steel helmet slammed over a Sharper is depicted as being able to contain its blast.

I would build a Sharper as a Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6, Area Of Effect (One Hex; +1/2) (37 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Requires A Demolitions Roll (-1/2), Side Effects (Side Effect always occurs whenever the character does some specific act, Side Effect does a predefined amount of damage; Screw Up and it'll Blow Up!; -1/2), Range Based On Strength (-1/4).

Does that seem reasonable?

Moranth.

Since Moranth are of the same stock as the Barghast I would apply the Barghast racial package deal to them but replacing the Disadvantage 'Barbarian' with the Social Limitation: 'Inscrutable' (Occasionally, Minor) -5 points and change the Distinctive Features to 'Inhuman Features or Full Suit of Chitinous Armour'.

Moranth Gold are described as wearing 'chitinous armour' and carrying large shields, javelins and heavy curved swords. These swords can be represented as longswords or sabres in game terms.

Any thoughts on how strong Moranth armour is? The Moranth Gold seem to be able to hold their own with Malazan Medium Infantry and so I would give them an armour value of 5 Resistant PD. There is one description of soldiers attempting to loot the armour from a Moranth corpse only to find that the chitinous plates of his armour had been sutured onto his skin. I'm not sure how widespread this practice is but would suggest that Moranth Armour should be treated as an Inherent Power and paid for with character points.

At least one in ten Moranth soldiers in any given unit will carry Moranth Munitions and any Moranth combatant may take the skill Demolitions (Moranth Munitions).

I have attached a build for a Quorl to this post. If anyone wants to look at it but doesn't have HD then please tell me and I'll copy it up into a post.

A note on the Moranth Gold. Supposedly these are the elite of the Moranth although they usually seem to get pretty chewed up when actually deployed in battle. GMs who believe the claims about the Gold can give them the following Package Deal in addition to their racial abilities.

Moranth Elite

+1 with Hand to Hand Combat. 5

+5 PRE (5 Active Points); Limited Power Only to Defend Against Presence Attacks (-1). 2

8 Points Overall.

T'lan Imass

(Working on it).

Any requests btw?

Good work!:thumbup:

Were sharpers the only moranth munitions? IIRC there were also other forms of moranth bombs.

Were did you get the information about the Moranth Gold? In ICE's works or in TtH? I've read up to RG and not TtH yet (I will do so, wait for Christmas time).

Good work!:thumbup:

Were sharpers the only moranth munitions? IIRC there were also other forms of moranth bombs.

Were did you get the information about the Moranth Gold? In ICE's works or in TtH? I've read up to RG and not TtH yet (I will do so, wait for Christmas time).

There are others.

Cussers (really big bang) and Burners. There are others but they don't come to mind and I am not at home.

To date I have come across Sharpers, Cussers, Melters, Burners and Crackers. Erikson tends to talk only about Cussers and Sharpers while Esslemont notes different varieties being used for actual sabotage.

I just wanted to see what people would make of the overall build before building the others.

Cussers are very, very nasty. They are not supposed to be used in melee at all but are in fact siege weapons. Firing a Cusser with a crossbow is considered a ridiculously dangerous idea despite the comparatively long range of the weapon. I'll put it another way, there was one encounter in Erikson's books when a Cusser was used to one-shot an ancient Soletaken Eleint. Let's just stress that, you can bring down an Elder Dragon with these things, even if you apply the 'gritty' combat rules that's pretty impressive.

I would suggest that a Cusser be built as Cusser: Killing Attack - Ranged 4d6, Explosion (+1/2) (90 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Side Effects (Side Effect always occurs whenever the character breaks it, burns it or fails Demolition Roll, Side Effect does a predefined amount of damage; Screw Up an It'll Blow Up!; -1/2), Requires A Demolitions (Moranth Munitions) Roll (-1/2), Range Based On Strength (-1/4).

A Cracker is specifically designed to channel it's blast forward in order to rip open even the toughest defences. So - Cracker: Killing Attack - Ranged 4d6, Area Of Effect (6" Cone; +1) (120 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Side Effects (Side Effect always occurs whenever the character breaks it, burns it or fails Demolition Roll, Side Effect does a predefined amount of damage; Screw Up an It'll Blow Up!; -1/2), Requires A Demolitions (Moranth Munitions) Roll (-1/2), Range Based On Strength (-1/4).

I don't know how powerful Melters and Burners are but I would assume that they lack the power of Cussers or they would be used more often. Burners are presumably useful for sowing chaos in the enemy's ranks while Melters are just another way of getting through walls.

Burner: Killing Attack - Ranged 2 1/2d6, Explosion (+1/2), Sticky (+1/2) (80 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Side Effects (Side Effect always occurs whenever the character breaks it, burns it or fails Demolition Roll, Side Effect does a predefined amount of damage; Screw Up an It'll Blow Up!; -1/2), Requires A Demolitions (Moranth Munitions) Roll (-1/2), Range Based On Strength (-1/4).

Melter: Killing Attack - Ranged 3d6, Area Of Effect (One Hex; +1/2) (67 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Side Effects (Side Effect always occurs whenever the character breaks it, burns it or fails Demolition Roll, Side Effect does a predefined amount of damage; Screw Up an It'll Blow Up!; -1/2), Requires A Demolitions (Moranth Munitions) Roll (-1/2), Range Based On Strength (-1/4).

My information on the Moranth Gold comes hot off the presses in the form of Return of the Crimson Guard which takes place just after the events of Toll The Hounds. Unsurprisingly that is also where most of my Crimson Guard info comes from.

Let's just stress that, you can bring down an Elder Dragon with these things, even if you apply the 'gritty' combat rules that's pretty impressive.

I would suggest that a Cusser be built as Cusser: Killing Attack - Ranged 4d6, Explosion (+1/2) (90 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Side Effects (Side Effect always occurs whenever the character breaks it, burns it or fails Demolition Roll, Side Effect does a predefined amount of damage; Screw Up an It'll Blow Up!; -1/2), Requires A Demolitions (Moranth Munitions) Roll (-1/2), Range Based On Strength (-1/4).

{emphasis mine}

And that is also why Malazan Sappers are slightly crazy and given a wide berth by everyone :D

Never a truer word was posted.

I would suggest that kind GMs might want to allow a random roll to determine whether a failed Demolitions Roll results in the Munition exploding rather than having it happen automatically. But it's not obligatory

One last note. Characters may use Moranth Munitions even if they do not possess the Demolitions Skill. Of course not rolling that Skill when using a Munition counts as failing said roll. Fun, yes?

A couple of notes on the above information.

After reading a few more descriptions of Sharper's I've decided that they should be bumped up to 2d6K. With average damage a solid steel helmet should still be just about able to stop them and the man who managed that feat was incredibly lucky. I'll change the post above to reflect this.

I've also learned that according to Esslemont Malazan infantry use Roman-style oblong shields so that they can advance in a wall if they wish to. These shields are sturdy enough to stop crossbow bolts most of the time and seem to be able to take a lot of abuse.

A few more thoughts on Malazan Magic.

Dispelling or unravelling an opposing Mage's magic is unusual in the Malazan world. Ascendants in particular tend towards more straightforward clashes of strength while on the battlefield subtlety is usually disregarded in favour of big explosions. That being said the standard method of stopping a magical attack is to slam another blast of sorcery into it. I would allow Power Drains as well however.

Therefore Malazan Magic should be treated as having a kind of physical existence of its own. A Mage can 'block' magic with his own although any excess energy will still hit anyone in the vicinity of the clash. Similarly Mages can target a wave of Magical energy as though it were a character and attempt to disperse it.

Finally some skilled practitioners demonstrate the ability to deflect magical attacks. These attacks are still active however and may well wash over the Mage's allies.

Arcane Master: Missile Deflection (Any Ranged Attack) (20 Active Points); Requires A PS Mage Roll (-1/2), Limited Power Only Magical Attacks No More Powerful Than Character's Most Powerful Warren. (-1/2), Costs Endurance (-1/2)

The general feel I'm trying to give here is that a powerful mage can blast most attacks out of the sky but the common foot soldier is going to suffer no matter what happens.

Another thing I have noted is the magic seems to be a bit 'tricky' and semi-'out of control'.

None of the mages seem to exert anything near absolute control. More like it, the magic, is somewhat intelligent and is constantly trying to squirm free for lack of a better description.