• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Re: Malazan Hero

I got stuck trying to build an Azath. I've been meaning to complete that project before moving on to other Malazan things.

But yes. Many questions have been answered and there are doubtless write-ups which could be completed.

The heavy soldiers of the Moranth Blue are surprisingly tough, flattening Malazan Heavies time and again when competing against them in battle drills.

It also transpires that regular Malazan soldiers are closer to Marines than I had thought. They may not have crossbows or the level of initiative and sheer bloody-mindedness that Marines have but their squads have Mages and killers and mailed fists just like Marine squads.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Re: Malazan Hero

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Shadowsoul again.

To date I have come across Sharpers, Cussers, Melters, Burners and Crackers. Erikson tends to talk only about Cussers and Sharpers while Esslemont notes different varieties being used for actual sabotage.

I just wanted to see what people would make of the overall build before building the others.

Cussers are very, very nasty. They are not supposed to be used in melee at all but are in fact siege weapons. Firing a Cusser with a crossbow is considered a ridiculously dangerous idea despite the comparatively long range of the weapon. I'll put it another way, there was one encounter in Erikson's books when a Cusser was used to one-shot an ancient Soletaken Eleint. Let's just stress that, you can bring down an Elder Dragon with these things, even if you apply the 'gritty' combat rules that's pretty impressive.

I would suggest that a Cusser be built as Cusser: Killing Attack - Ranged 4d6, Explosion (+1/2) (90 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Side Effects (Side Effect always occurs whenever the character breaks it, burns it or fails Demolition Roll, Side Effect does a predefined amount of damage; Screw Up an It'll Blow Up!; -1/2), Requires A Demolitions (Moranth Munitions) Roll (-1/2), Range Based On Strength (-1/4).

A Cracker is specifically designed to channel it's blast forward in order to rip open even the toughest defences. So - Cracker: Killing Attack - Ranged 4d6, Area Of Effect (6" Cone; +1) (120 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Side Effects (Side Effect always occurs whenever the character breaks it, burns it or fails Demolition Roll, Side Effect does a predefined amount of damage; Screw Up an It'll Blow Up!; -1/2), Requires A Demolitions (Moranth Munitions) Roll (-1/2), Range Based On Strength (-1/4).

I don't know how powerful Melters and Burners are but I would assume that they lack the power of Cussers or they would be used more often. Burners are presumably useful for sowing chaos in the enemy's ranks while Melters are just another way of getting through walls.

Burner: Killing Attack - Ranged 2 1/2d6, Explosion (+1/2), Sticky (+1/2) (80 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Side Effects (Side Effect always occurs whenever the character breaks it, burns it or fails Demolition Roll, Side Effect does a predefined amount of damage; Screw Up an It'll Blow Up!; -1/2), Requires A Demolitions (Moranth Munitions) Roll (-1/2), Range Based On Strength (-1/4).

Melter: Killing Attack - Ranged 3d6, Area Of Effect (One Hex; +1/2) (67 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Side Effects (Side Effect always occurs whenever the character breaks it, burns it or fails Demolition Roll, Side Effect does a predefined amount of damage; Screw Up an It'll Blow Up!; -1/2), Requires A Demolitions (Moranth Munitions) Roll (-1/2), Range Based On Strength (-1/4).

My information on the Moranth Gold comes hot off the presses in the form of Return of the Crimson Guard which takes place just after the events of Toll The Hounds. Unsurprisingly that is also where most of my Crimson Guard info comes from.

• 3 months later...