Malazan Hero

Shadowsoul

Re: Malazan Hero

I don't have sound but have ridden horses all of my life and my parents still breed and trade them. That horse is about 18 hands, maybe 20. Picture another two feet on it.

And, perhaps you're correct. Why would the Teblor use children's hands for measurement?

Let's not argue about the size of that particular horse. 26 normal hand would be huge. 26 Teblor hands would be gigantic.

And for Teblor cavalry: didn't Karsa say, he wanted to return someday to his plateau and forge the Teblor tribes into an army. Since they breed horses, cavalry would be a sure option.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair point Legatus.

Something else that's been bothering me. If people like Surly/Laseen, Dujek Onearm and Dassem Ultor have been around since the beginning of the Malazan Empire, (which has been going for about 100 years), how come they aren't all in wheelchairs or rest homes by now? Humans don't tend to live that long, let alone remain competent enough to run an empire or an army.

Thoughts on one of the founding races: the K'Chain Che Malle

- They are giant intelligent reptiles resembling velociraptors.

- They are said to be extinct. Though in Reaper's Gale we see two that are well alive and there may be even more of them.

- They lack a racial warren.

- They were technologically advanced, dwelled in skykeeps (Anomander's Mooon's Spawn being one of them) and were ruled by matrons that were powerful magicians.

- They were bred for specific tasks. In Memories of Ice we see the undead versions of K'ell Hunters that have swords instead of arms.

- The undead versions were very fast, although IIRC the living K'Chain are even faster.

- The K'Chain Che Malle were nearly exterminated in a civil war between two variants the Long-tails and the Short-tails.

- The survivors of this civil war were then slain by the combined forces of the invading Tiste Edur and Tiste Andii. (Midnight Tides; Prologue)

- or was it the other way round? The K'Chain lost the war against the Tiste and then the Short-tails rebelled? Because in Midnight Tides they fight alongside eachother against the Tiste.

Fair point Legatus.

Something else that's been bothering me. If people like Surly/Laseen, Dujek Onearm and Dassem Ultor have been around since the beginning of the Malazan Empire, (which has been going for about 100 years), how come they aren't all in wheelchairs or rest homes by now? Humans don't tend to live that long, let alone remain competent enough to run an empire or an army.

The timeline is a big problem in the novels.

The timeline is a big problem in the novels.

Or there is something else going on ;) This is a series that has gods and demi-gods running around with their fingers in everything. We have already seen regular humans raised to godhood (near godhood) and at least one that I would call a major power that didn't realize they were until events forced things.

The series mixes things up pretty thoroughly and with all of the twists in things I wouldn’t surprised if many or most of the characters in the stories were not simply ‘normal’ humans anymore. I wouldn’t call any Bridgeburners or survivors of the Chain of Dogs ‘normal’ anymore…..

Or there is something else going on ;) This is a series that has gods and demi-gods running around with their fingers in everything. We have already seen regular humans raised to godhood (near godhood) and at least one that I would call a major power that didn't realize they were until events forced things.

The series mixes things up pretty thoroughly and with all of the twists in things I wouldn’t surprised if many or most of the characters in the stories were not simply ‘normal’ humans anymore. I wouldn’t call any Bridgeburners or survivors of the Chain of Dogs ‘normal’ anymore…..

You could definitely be right about that one. But the timeline problem exists. Even Steven Erikson himself admitted it.

http://www.sffworld.com/interview/242p0.html

Hi, I've been lurking on these boards for a few months, ever since I started getting into the Herosystem.

I just wanted to say the the Malazan series is one of the most compelling and riveting (not to mention complexing) series I've ever read.

My favourite moment is the Death of Itkovian. I've never read anything that made me feel so much!

Hope you guys keep on translating this amazing series into Herosystem.

Well I've been toying with an Anomandaris build. Here is my first attempt. Thoughts on that? I'll post it as text soon, then I'll start sorting out some rules for Malazan Hero. Once I've finished writing up the last session from my Black Powder Fantasy Campaign.

In the mean time. The Dragon Form is based on a Greater Dragon from the Bestiary. I've Malazaned it a bit, the main change being that Malazan Dragons seem to be more easily injured than the classic Dragon so I've lowered his defences.

I haven't bothered transferring many skills across to the Dragon Form; only the ones that he might use.

Not too sure about my Dragnipur build, open to suggestions on that one.

Well I've been toying with an Anomandaris build. Here is my first attempt. Thoughts on that? I'll post it as text soon, then I'll start sorting out some rules for Malazan Hero. Once I've finished writing up the last session from my Black Powder Fantasy Campaign.

In the mean time. The Dragon Form is based on a Greater Dragon from the Bestiary. I've Malazaned it a bit, the main change being that Malazan Dragons seem to be more easily injured than the classic Dragon so I've lowered his defences.

I haven't bothered transferring many skills across to the Dragon Form; only the ones that he might use.

Not too sure about my Dragnipur build, open to suggestions on that one.

Since I don't have HD, I'll have to wait for the text version. Sorry.:help:

[b]Anomandaris Dragnipurake - [/b]

[b][u]VAL[/u]   [u]CHA[/u]   [u]Cost[/u]   [u]Total[/u]   [u]Roll[/u]      [u]Notes[/u][/b]
40    STR     30   40      17-       HTH Damage 8d6  END [8]
23    DEX     39   23      14-       OCV 8 DCV 8
20    CON     20   20      13-
16    BODY    12   16      12-
28    INT     18   28      15-       PER Roll 15-
25    EGO     30   25      14-       ECV: 8
20    PRE     10   20      13-       PRE Attack: 4d6
18    COM     4   18      13-
8    PD      0   8             8 PD (0 rPD)
4    ED      0   4             4 ED (0 rED)
4    SPD     7   4                 Phases:  3, 6, 9, 12
12    REC     0   12
40    END     0   40
46    STUN    0   46
6    RUN      0   6"                END [1]
2    SWIM     0   2"                END [1]
8    LEAP     0   8"                8" forward, 4" upward

[b]CHA Cost: 170[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]POWERS[/u][/b]
154     [b][i]Starvald Demelain and Kurald Galain[/i][/b]: Variable Power Pool (Magic Pool), 120 base + 34 control cost,  (180 Active Points); all slots Requires A Mage Roll  (-1/2), Limited Class Of Powers Available Powers Based on Darkness and Dragonfire (-1/4) - END=
    Dragnipur - END=
    Dragnipur, all slots Independent (-2), OAF (-1), STR Minimum 30 (-1) - END=
18     1)  [b][i]Blade[/i][/b]: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 4d6 (4d6+1 w/STR), Armor Piercing (+1/2) (90 Active Points); Independent (-2), STR Minimum 30 (-1), OAF (-1) - END=9
8     [b][i]Banishment[/i][/b]: Extra-Dimensional Movement (World Within Dragnipur), Usable As Attack (+1/4), Affects Desolidified Any form of Desolidification (+1/2) (35 Active Points); Independent (-2), OAF (-1), Linked (Blade; -1/2) - END=3
5     [b][i]Blood of the Eleint[/i][/b]: Life Support  (Longevity: Immortal) - END=0
5     [b][i]Child of Darkness[/i][/b]: Nightvision - END=0
133     [b][i]Greater Soletaken Eleint[/i][/b]: Multiform (667 Character Points in the most expensive form) - END=0

[b]POWERS Cost: 323[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]MARTIAL ARTS[/u][/b]
     Rake's Moves
4      1)  Counterstrike:  1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, 10d6 Strike, Must Follow Block
4      2)  Fast Strike:  1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +0 DCV, Weapon +2 DC Strike
4      3)  Martial Block:  1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort
4      4)  Martial Dodge:  1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +5 DCV, Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort
4      5)  Martial Strike:  1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, 10d6 Strike
5      6)  Offensive Strike:  1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +1 DCV, 12d6 Strike
5      7)  Passing Strike:  1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, +0 DCV, 8d6 +v/5; FMove
4      8)  Weapon Bind:  1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, +0 DCV, Bind, 50 STR

[b]MARTIAL ARTS Cost: 34[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]SKILLS[/u][/b]
9      +3 Two Handed Swords
20      +4 with HTH Combat
19      Mage 23-
3      Conversation 13-
3      Deduction 15-
10      Defense Maneuver I-IV 
3      Fast Draw (Dragnipur) 14-
3      High Society 13-
3      Scholar
2      1)  KS: Ascendants and Demons (3 Active Points) 15-
2      2)  KS: History of the Tiste (3 Active Points) 15-
1      3)  KS: Legends of the Tiste (2 Active Points) 11-
2      4)  KS: Magic and the Warrens (3 Active Points) 15-
2      5)  KS: Peoples of Genabackis (3 Active Points) 15-
2      6)  KS: Warfare (3 Active Points) 15-
3      Linguist
2      1)  Language:  Daru (completely fluent) (3 Active Points)
2      2)  Language:  Eleint (completely fluent) (3 Active Points)
2      3)  Language:  Gadrobi (completely fluent) (3 Active Points)
1      4)  Language:  Genabarii (fluent conversation) (2 Active Points)
0      5)  Language:  Language of Darkness (idiomatic; literate) (5 Active Points)
2      6)  Language:  Language of Light (completely fluent) (3 Active Points)
2      7)  Language:  Language of Shadow (completely fluent) (3 Active Points)
2      8)  Language:  Malazan (completely fluent) (3 Active Points)
2      9)  Language:  Rhivi (completely fluent) (3 Active Points)
7      Persuasion 15-
3      PS: Ruler 15-
3      Stealth 14-
3      Tactics 15-
5      WF:  Common Melee Weapons, Common Missile Weapons, Off Hand
2      CK: Moon Spawn 11-
3      PS: Warrior 15-

[b]SKILLS Cost: 128[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]PERKS[/u][/b]
9      Reputation:  Very Dangerous/Wielder of Dragnipur (A large group) 14-, +3/+3d6
15      Fringe Benefit:  Lord of the Tiste Andi
10      Money:  Wealthy

[b]PERKS Cost: 34[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]TALENTS[/u][/b]
3      Lightning Reflexes: +2 DEX to act first with All Actions
9      Inspire (11 Active Points); Conditional Power Tiste Andi Only (-1/4)
5      Magesight
14      Fearless

[b]TALENTS Cost: 31[/b]
[b][u]Value[/u]  [u]DISADVANTAGES[/u][/b]
10     Psychological Limitation:  Inherently gloomy and fatalistic (Common, Moderate)
5     Physical Limitation:  Child of Darkness (Infrequently, Slightly Impairing)
5     Physical Limitation:  Eleint (Infrequently, Slightly Impairing)
10     Distinctive Features:  Tiste Andi Features. (Not Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses; Not Distinctive In Some Cultures)
10     Distinctive Features:  Knight of Darkness (Not Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable Only By Ascendants and Deck Readers)
15     Psychological Limitation:  Given to Brooding (Common, Strong)
20     Psychological Limitation:  Utterly Dedicated To His People (Common, Total)
15     Reputation:  Terrifying Ascendant With Evil Sword, 14-
10     Rivalry:  Professional (Osserc; Rival is As Powerful; Seek to Harm or Kill Rival; Rival Aware of Rivalry)

[b]DISADVANTAGES Points: 100[/b]

Base Pts: 620
Exp Required: 0
Total Exp Available: 0
Exp Unspent: 0
Total Character Cost: 720

[b]Anomandaris Dragon Form - Son of Darkness[/b]

[b][u]VAL[/u]   [u]CHA[/u]   [u]Cost[/u]   [u]Total[/u]   [u]Roll[/u]      [u]Notes[/u][/b]
50    STR     40   50      19-       HTH Damage 10d6  END [10]
28    DEX     54   28      15-       OCV 9 DCV 9
25    CON     30   25      14-
25    BODY    30   25      14-
28    INT     18   28      15-       PER Roll 17-
25    EGO     30   25      14-       ECV: 8
40    PRE     30   40      17-       PRE Attack: 8d6
10    COM     0   10      11-
15    PD      5   15/27             15/27 PD (0/12 rPD)
15    ED      10   15/27             15/27 ED (0/12 rED)
4    SPD     2   4                 Phases:  3, 6, 9, 12
15    REC     0   15
50    END     0   50
63    STUN    0   63
9    RUN      6   9"                END [2]
2    SWIM     0   2"                END [1]
10    LEAP     0   10"                10" forward, 5" upward

[b]CHA Cost: 255[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]POWERS[/u][/b]
120     [b][i]Release Warren[/i][/b]: Killing Attack - Ranged 4d6, Area Of Effect (24" Line; +1) (120 Active Points) - END=12
37     [b][i]Bite[/i][/b]: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1 1/2d6 (3d6+1 w/STR), Armor Piercing (+1/2) (37 Active Points) - END=4
45     [b][i]Talons[/i][/b]: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 2d6 (4d6 w/STR), Armor Piercing (+1/2) (45 Active Points) - END=4
20     [b][i]Tail Swipe[/i][/b]: Hand-To-Hand Attack +6d6 (30 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2) - END=3
36     [b][i]Scaly Skin[/i][/b]: Armor (12 PD/12 ED) - END=0
20     [b][i]Heavy[/i][/b]: Knockback Resistance -10" - END=0
12     Mental Defense (17 points total) - END=0
15     [b][i]Eleint[/i][/b]: Power Defense (15 points) - END=0
27     Flight 20" (40 Active Points); Restrainable (-1/2) - END=4
6     [b][i]Eleint Senses[/i][/b]: +2 PER with all Sense Groups - END=0
5     [b][i]Eyes of Darkness[/i][/b]: Nightvision - END=0

[b]POWERS Cost: 343[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]MARTIAL ARTS[/u][/b]
     Fight in Flight, all slots Conditional Power Only While Flying (-1/4)
4      1)  Martial Dodge:  1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +5 DCV, Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort; Conditional Power Only While Flying (-1/4)
3      2)  Martial Grab:  1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, -1 DCV, Grab Two Limbs, 60 STR for holding on; Conditional Power Only While Flying (-1/4)
5      3)  Offensive Strike:  1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +1 DCV, 14d6 Strike; Conditional Power Only While Flying (-1/4)
4      4)  Martial Escape:  1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, 65 STR vs. Grabs; Conditional Power Only While Flying (-1/4)

[b]MARTIAL ARTS Cost: 16[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]SKILLS[/u][/b]
32      +4 with All Combat
9      +3 with Bite, Talons and Tail Swipe
3      Deduction 15-
3      Language:  Eleint (completely fluent)
3      Stealth 15-
3      Tactics 15-

[b]SKILLS Cost: 53[/b]

[b][u]Value[/u]  [u]DISADVANTAGES[/u][/b]
10     Physical Limitation:  Huge (Frequently, Slightly Impairing)
10     Physical Limitation:  Limited Manipulation (Frequently, Slightly Impairing)
20     Reputation:  It's A Dragon!, 14- (Extreme)
5     Physical Limitation:  Eleint (Infrequently, Slightly Impairing)
10     Distinctive Features:  Knight of Darkness (Not Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable Only By Ascendants and Deck Readers)
20     Psychological Limitation:  Utterly Dedicated To His People (Common, Total)
10     Rivalry:  Professional (Osserc; Rival is As Powerful; Seek to Harm or Kill Rival; Rival Aware of Rivalry)

[b]DISADVANTAGES Points: 85[/b]

Base Pts: 582
Exp Required: 0
Total Exp Available: 0
Exp Unspent: 0
Total Character Cost: 667

Is it really only 8 pts to be sent within Dragnipur? I like the HERO build, but can't help but wonder if it should be more expensive.

What sort of campaign would you run within Malazan Hero, Shadowsoul? I'm curious about how to mesh lower end level characters into this setting of ultra-powerful NPCs. Or, would you run stories for the big guns?

I believe that technically you only get sent by Dragnipur if the blade itself kills you. What actually happens is the blade transports your soul to the world within it rather than allowing it to go on its usual course.

If Dragnipur actually transports you with the merest of scratches then it should be a lot more expensive.

Running a game in the Malazan setting could be done in a number of ways.

You could have a bunch of heavy hitters who happen to be working together to defeat a common foe. This might work better if it was set at some time in the ancient past e.g. a group of Tiste Ascendants working together against a Jaghut Tyrant or a group of surviving K'Chain Che'malle.

One good way to get a bunch of hard core types together would be if an Azath House released some of its occupants in return for some task that they had to perform. Hunting down an even more dangerous being which had somehow escaped the house perhaps or finding some way to defeat one which was coming to destroy the House. Alternatively the House could be afflicted by some ill and in need of a complicated cure or a particular artefact to restore it. Failing that the dying House might want its seeds planted in a particular place and its inmates restrained within the new Houses. This would be quite interesting because it is entirely possible that the Azath will betray its heralds once they have done its work and recapture them anyway, anyone offering a way out of that danger could potentially tear the party apart.

But heavy hitters are not the be-all and end-all of the Malazan setting. A bunch of surviving Bridgeburners could make an interesting game. Or recruits to a Malazan Marine squad being thrown into a new war. Or a recreation of the inter-Warren adventures of Stormy and co. A more intrigue based game could feature a group like the Phoenix Inn regulars.

The party could also start out small but end up on the road to greatness and perhaps even Ascension. You could even place players in charge of Kellanved, Dancer, Surly and so on and have them try to create the Malazan Empire themselves. For a long running campaign one could add a further innovation and have players run several characters as the story develops. E.g. start out with Surly but end up running some smaller missions with Tattersail and so on as the Empire becomes too big for the original group to control personally. You could get very cute with this, in one session the group could take over a squad of Talons/Claws sent to assassinate a powerful imperial turncoat, only to reveal that this 'turncoat' is actually a PC.

One other possibility could be to vary the power levels in the group. You often get people of varying power levels wandering around together in the Malazan books. You'd need the right players for that kind of thing and of course all the characters would have to be useful for something. I'd also enforce absolute character secrecy to cut down on any bullying of weaker characters since no one would be entirely sure of what their companions were capable of. More focus on story than action I suppose.

In fact thinking about the multiple characters scenario has given me another idea for how to get round the heavy hitters question. Give the narrative the classic Malazan split perspective treatment and give each player three characters, one Ascendant, one Heroic level character and one competent normal. Several different storylines play out at once with different characters meeting and cooperating, (or not), at different times.

It would be very difficult to run but great fun if you could pull it off I think.

The Anomander write-up is awesome. It is slightly different from what I expected, but as a whole it is absolutely fantastic.:thumbup:

As far as campaigning ideas are concerned, I wouldn't bother too much with varying power levels, as long as everybody gets his moments to shine, it should be okay.

The idea of not telling/showing the other players your character's write-up and thus keeping them guessing what the power level of the character is, is a great idea. And totally in line with the novels.

In fact thinking about the multiple characters scenario has given me another idea for how to get round the heavy hitters question. Give the narrative the classic Malazan split perspective treatment and give each player three characters, one Ascendant, one Heroic level character and one competent normal. Several different storylines play out at once with different characters meeting and cooperating, (or not), at different times.

It would be very difficult to run but great fun if you could pull it off I think.

This is the ticket right here for me. I've always wanted to do something like this, but never had the tenacity to pull it off.

If you ever decide to do it (online) please save me a spot.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Just an idle question.

What sub-genre would the Malazan books be?

They have the power level of High Fantasy but a gritty outlook far more at home in a Low Fantasy setting.

I'd call them Dark High Fantasy and shelve them alongside the Black Company series.

Sounds accurate. I think there are a few others that would fit into the sub-genre, but they aren't currently coming to me atm.

Sorcery 101 would be appropriate as well I think. Although Fantasy High would allow them to become rivals of the students at Vampire High

Anyway. I've got some initial thoughts on the magic system for this setting. I’m just looking at Warren Users here, witches, Chaos Mages and other oddballs will have to wait.

The Basics

Malazan mages are usually depicted doing fairly straight forward things, mostly killing people in various different ways or travelling through their warrens. In battle they don't tend to be especially tactical, it's a matter of power against power until one side flees or is destroyed. There are suggestions however that mages can perform a variety of different tricks which are usually but not always linked to their Warren's theme.

I remember one point when the squad mages of an entire army learned a new minor ritual despite the fact that it came from a particular warren. This would suggest that mages can make use of minor magics of all kinds so long as someone can teach it to them.

I think the best way to deal with this system is to give mages a limited VPP, referred to as their ‘Warren’. They must pick a particular Warren which will of course have a particular elemental theme. Mages may only use abilities from a list of learned spells/rituals/powers that has been agreed with the GM beforehand but they may learn new spells if someone is willing to teach them or invent them if they have the appropriate skill.

All mages should also have a 'minor rituals' VPP to represent their ability to learn minor spells from any warren. Such rituals should preferably be taught by another practitioner rather than invented by the mage in question. The ‘minor rituals’ VPP may never exceed ¼ of the Mage’s Warren VPP.

Both of these Power Pools require a Mage Skill Roll to succeed.

When Malazan magic goes wrong it goes very wrong. That is one reason why Moranth Munitions are so nasty; they mess up the flows of magic. So I would suggest that all Malazan Magic must take the Limitation ‘Major Side Effects - Magical Discharge, Only Occurs If Magic Is Disrupted’.

The basis of much military magic seems to be the joining together of Mages into Cadres; such groupings are incredibly powerful. I/we’ll have to work out a system to account for the combination of powers. I think it might work best if based around a Professional Skill ‘Cadre Mage’ which allows the combination of Active Points at the cost of increased risk to all involved.

Base Abilities.

All Mages must take the following powers as part of their Warren VPP.

Enter Warren. Extra-Dimensional Movement (Single Warren). 20 Points.

Unleash Warren. Ranged Killing Attack VS ED. (Must match the VPP’s Active Point Limit).

Mages should probably have to take the 5 Point Power ‘Detect Magic’ as well.

Mage Flavours

Mages in the Malazan setting are divided into Mages, who can devastate whole armies if they join together into cadres and High Mages, who are powerful enough to be the preferred disguise for an Ascendant who wants to remain incognito but still wield their full powers.

I’d say that a ‘Mage’ is anyone whose Warren VPP has an Active Point Limit of 60 Points or less while a High Mage should have between 61-120 Active Points. Most High Mages worth their salt will be considerably higher than 61 Active Points of course.

Malazan Squad Mages and other low level magic users should not exceed 30 Active Points, (unless they’ve been hiding something, cough Quick Ben cough).

That’s it for now. What do you guys think? I’ll be out of circulation for a few days and then I’ll be back with thoughts on Ascendancy, the Deck of Dragons and more stuff about magic and the Warrens.

I think you really got the point here, malazan magic is raw and seldom used for fine effects. And yes, if it goes wrong, it does so horribly.

We should try to make a list of the warrens and what their special effects and most used aspects are.

In my current reread of Memories of Ice I found a warren that was never mentioned before or after: Aral Gamelon, a demonic warren. The Korvalahrai and the Galayn, the favorite demons in the empire, are both from this warren.

• 2 weeks later...

I think you really got the point here, malazan magic is raw and seldom used for fine effects. And yes, if it goes wrong, it does so horribly.

We should try to make a list of the warrens and what their special effects and most used aspects are.

In my current reread of Memories of Ice I found a warren that was never mentioned before or after: Aral Gamelon, a demonic warren. The Korvalahrai and the Galayn, the favorite demons in the empire, are both from this warren.

I'm not sure all mages should have to be able to enter their warren, after all, you might not know how (and it doesn't seems like it's necessarily easy), particularly if you're using Hood's warren.... Also, not all warrens would unleash in a RKA in my opinion, Mockra and Denul come immediately to mind.

Anyways, I'm almost halfway done with Toll the Hounds, so I probably won't be back here til I'm done with that... just to be safe on spoilerage :thumbup:

Can't wait to see what you come up with tho!

I would agree with some of what you say there.

I'd put people with Denul and High Denul in their own little sub-category of 'Healer'. They would probably be better off with a Multipower to cover basic healing, purging poisons and banishing diseases. Healers replace their Killing Attack with a Healing Power. I don't know if Healers can travel through their Denul Warren, I've seen no evidence of it so perhaps they shouldn't be able to.

I'd also say that a common Denul Healer should not have especially impressive abilities. So a Denul Healer shouldn't have a Healing Power in excess of 30 Active Points and can not apply Can Regenerate Limbs to his/her Healing Power.

A High Denul Healer should have up to 60 Active Points of Healing without any limitations other than the normal ones.

I would disagree with your assessment of Mockra however as although it has been demonstrated as having some very complicated and obscure uses it was the Warren used by Calot in Gardens of the Moon. Calot was a Malazan Cadre Mage and he is shown using his Mockra Warren in a magical battle just like any other Mage.

Checking that has reminded me that Mages seem to live longer than normal mortals. Calot for example is described as looking surprisingly good for a man who is nearly a century old. So I think the first rank of Longevity should be added to the Mage Package with the option to extend it depending on power levels and GM consent.

And yes it is possible to travel through Hood's Realm. It's just that the Dimensional Movement in this case only takes you to the Warren, there is no guarantee that you'll get out alive.

Thanks for the input btw. It was helpful and it's nice not to have to do this on my own. (Thanks to the rest of you for commenting and contributing also).