Are Ego Attacks limited in the same manner as other EGO powers?

Gemphyre

Here is a question for the rules gurus.

I understand that Mental Illusions, Mind Control, Telepathy, Mind Scan, and attacks bought with BOECV only work against the defined class of mind for the power(s), and that is not a problem. I understand the reasons for this, and this question has nothing to do with these powers.

However, is an Ego Attack limited in the same manner, assuming that the target has an Ego and Stun to start with. For example, assuming there is no added Classes of Minds to the power, would an Ego Attack that works against Joe Blow work just as well against a Grizzly Bear?

I can see arguments for both sides of this question.

Gemphyre

Re: Are Ego Attacks limited in the same manner as other EGO powers?

from 5er page 117

CLASSES OF MINDS

At their base level, all Mental Powers (including Ego Attack) affect only one class of minds. The basic classes include Human, Animal, Machine, and Alien; the GM can add other classes or alter these as he sees fit.

from 5er page 117

And, of course, I do not have the revised edition, only the original 5th edition. :rolleyes: Now that I know what to look for, I can probably find it myself.

OK. Now a related question. From CKC, would you classify The Monster as "Human" or "Alien"? Came up in a game that I was GMing last weekend. (He got away, and the group was not foolish enough to follow him into the sewers.)

Gemphyre

From CKC' date=' would you classify The Monster as "Human" or "Alien"?[/quote']It all depends on how you want to fill in the blanks in The Monster's mysterious origins. It could be any class of mind, depending on what you decide it really is.

Personally, I'd put The Monster under Alien class of minds.

One other point relevant to this discussion from the FAQ:

Are powers with the BOECV Advantage subject to the “classes of minds” rules that apply to Mental Powers?

No. As noted in the BOECV text, BOECV powers aren’t actually Mental Powers per se. However, in some psionics-oriented campaigns, the GM may choose to have the classes of minds rules affect BOECV powers in the interest of fairness and consistency.

I Made the monster immune to ego attacks with a Ego Damage shield Vs mind links.

(For other purposes he counts as a demon)

But in my capmpaign the monster is alot nastier then he's meant to be.

A question from me.

I wanna buy an entangle with BOECV. Just how does that work?

It would be like an illusion in a man's mind, that causes him to be trapped in it. No one can help him physically, and his mind will not let him leave his entangled area. He might not even be able to teleport.

Ego Attacks would do damage to this entangle though.

And' date=' of course, I do not have the revised edition, only the original 5th edition. :rolleyes: Now that I know what to look for, I can probably find it myself.[/quote']

That passage of the rules is on p. 79 of the original Fifth Edition.

Our board colleague zornwil generously tabulated the page correspondences between original Fifth Edition and 5E Revised, and posted them to the forums, here.

For ease of reference I copied all his data onto a Document file, which I'll Attach below.